no one told me I might experience motion sickness on a wide beam

Prue

Featured Posts

I need some advice quickly!

So we go to view a stunning wide beam, 60ft by 12ft, its perfect, hubby loves it, we can afford it, one huge problem......I had motion sickness

, well not sickness but lightheaded, dizzy, weird horrible feeling, I got off and on again, stood in the fresh air.. but it didnt go, it eased off a bit standing in the middle of the boat and talking to distract myself, please can anyone advise me , is this normal? does it go away? Ive never had this on any other form of travel ever before, does anyone have any advice? please.

4 minutes ago, Prue said:

I need some advice quickly!

So we go to view a stunning wide beam, 60ft by 12ft, its perfect, hubby loves it, we can afford it, one huge problem......I had motion sickness

, well not sickness but lightheaded, dizzy, weird horrible feeling, I got off and on again, stood in the fresh air.. but it didnt go, it eased off a bit standing in the middle of the boat and talking to distract myself, please can anyone advise me , is this normal? does it go away? Ive never had this on any other form of travel ever before, does anyone have any advice? please.

Its normal and goes away. Hirers here often in fact very often come back and say that the earth is moving when they get off the boat, I remember it ocasionaly did for me many years ago. Now it never does you just adjust to living on/getting off a boat and its as if it hadn't happened.

Well thanks, my father in law tried to thrust a packet of travel sickness pills at me but I said , I am going to live on this boat! 

It is moored, permanently , the owner says he has been out twice in 4 years but up to pump out every 5 weeks. 

This is a huge risk to pay £100,000 to buy a boat I cant stand being on, I really hope its temporary, we are going out for 2 hours tomorrow to test it and Im under an enormous amount of pressure from hubby to NOT be ill.

Whats the K and A?

6 minutes ago, Prue said:

This is a huge risk to pay £100,000 to buy a boat I cant stand being on, I really hope its temporary, we are going out for 2 hours tomorrow to test it and Im under an enormous amount of pressure from hubby to NOT be ill.

Whats the K and A?

You will be fine, you will get used to it very quickly. The K and A is a canal where you buy a boat and moor up on it without needing to ever move, they are not under the durestiction of the 14 day rule.

8 minutes ago, Prue said:

Whats the K and A?

If you don’t know what the K & A refers to and think that 2 hours is good prep for living aboard I think you may be in for more of a shock than just being dizzy....may I suggest hiring a Boat for a couple of weeks to see all the other things that living afloat involves? 

I get the opposite problem, while on the boat I adjust within minutes to the motion and never give it another thought.

after being on the boat for a couple of weeks and returning to dry land it takes a few days for me not to feel the motion of the boat any more, standing still I will sway slightly and lying in bed I am sure I can feel the bed rocking beneath me.

Ive read about this motion response once back on land, but why experience it only on a boat that weighs about 35tons and barely moves and not in cars or motor bikes or planes or ferries? 

Well Im not a luuvy hippie, Im a girl from Swindon ! who is very quickly going off the idea of living aboard.

4 minutes ago, Prue said:

Ive read about this motion response once back on land, but why experience it only on a boat that weighs about 35tons and barely moves and not in cars or motor bikes or planes or ferries? 

Well Im not a luuvy hippie, Im a girl from Swindon ! who is very quickly going off the idea of living aboard.

Prue, you are hearing Banter and Venerable Humour.please don't take it seriously:)

On 27/10/2017 at 21:06, Prue said:

So we go to view a stunning wide beam, 60ft by 12ft,

Nope. sorry, you've got me there. 

PLEEEEAAASE, don't do it. 

(Stunningly fugly and inappropriate for our canal system you mean, hopefully....)

• Greenie 3

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The K and A is like the V&A in London, full of static exhibits and luvvy hippies that move very slowly, if at all.

All of which must be painted purple.

Wher is the boat situated?

This site is full of all sorts and some people like it some not.  Always take whatever is said with a pinch of salt, mostly it’s good humoured and helpful.  The motion stuff, as others have pointed out, does tend to go after a wee while, see how you go on your next outing and, welcome!

On 27/10/2017 at 21:46, NB Lola said:

This site is full of all sorts and some people like it some not.  Always take whatever is said with a pinch of salt, mostly it’s good humoured and helpful.  The motion stuff, as others have pointed out, does tend to go after a wee while, see how you go on your next outing and, welcome!

Quite right. Give it a decade or so and you'll be fine,

• Haha 1