Lock keeper beaten up

Bewildered

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Getting some practice in - it's only about 8 weeks.

Oo crikey! I'm never much bothered about Christmas for myself, it's the shopping for the Wife Who Has Everything which is the difficulty part.

Apologies for dragging this back to the boring subject of a canal volunteer being assaulted.

It appears that what we know so far is that Thursday last there was a request on here to advise C&RT of any sightings of the boats believed to be involved, and that the police were interested.  They were spotted moored in Rugby for a couple of days, I later advised they'd be seen tied up just short of Brinklow. I advised C&RT and didn't even receive a confirmation e-mail.

Since then nothing.

There has been discussion that they had been tracked since leaving London, and that they do not follow any of the rules/guidelines/obligations that most of us pay for in order to use the canals. Is this hearsay? .... No evidence yet that it's not.

I happen to be just around the corner from Hillmorton, nobody locally seems to know anything, and there is nothing in the local media.

That's about as far as I can garner.  So I guess we can return to the jokes.

Here's mine ..... What's the Blah Blah Blah between a blonde and the canal at Hillmorton?  One is a busy ditch!

Now what I for one would like to know is, could this thread be genuine or exaggerated? 

If it's the former I'd prefer it if we (as a disorganised yet interested group) club together to see it through, or if it's hogwash I can come up with much better jokes than that one. 

As has been mentioned earlier, the assault victim continued his duties and when a fellow lock-keeper recovered an expensive stolen bike, he recalled which boat he had seen it on as it went through the lock, and informed the owner who now has his property returned.
He has had no update from the police about the assault.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, canalboat said:

As has been mentioned earlier, the assault victim continued his duties and when a fellow lock-keeper recovered an expensive stolen bike, he recalled which boat he had seen it on as it went through the lock, and informed the owner who now has his property returned.
He has had no update from the police about the assault.

So there is at least some good news. Thank you for reporting that, CB.

• 1 month later...

Please consider the following.................

Even the Police are known for making exaggerated and unfounded statements.

If you can't cite an authoritative source, you are just spreading gossip.  Many stories in the press turn out to be wildly inaccurate.  Anyone who has been involved in a situation taken up by the 'Gentlemen of the Press' will know that they are often ill-informed.  Internet news sources don't even fact-check.

Edited by mross

13 hours ago, mross said:

If you can't cite an authoritative source, you are just spreading gossip.  Many stories in the press turn out to be wildly inaccurate.  Anyone who has been involved in a situation taken up by the 'Gentlemen of the Press' will know that they are often ill-informed.  Internet news sources don't even fact-check.

The information came direct from the lock keeper involved. 
The wonderful thing is that you have the freedom to choose not to believe me or him at all.
You could of course check out the facts for yourself but I suspect you won't bother.

Pardon my asking, but how does the lockkeeper know "they" were arrested?  I'd love to check the facts, but to do that I need a source.  I can't find any news of this event on Google or google news.  but I don't doubt canalboat's account.  Was the lock keeper 'beaten up' or just 'thumped'?  It said earlier on this thread that he went back to work.

Edited by mross

Just like reading news papers, you can't really take everything on here as being true. This was proved to me recently (if I needed such proof) when a report of the "facts" behind a boat set on fire were posted on here but I knew they were absolute mince as I knew what actually happened. If nothing else it teaches you who to believe.

haggis

• Greenie 1

On the rare occasions I've been the victim of a crime, I've been told nothing by the police, not even when I've enquired or badgered for information. 

Perhaps the lock keeper is being kept better informed by his local fuzz. I hope so.

• Greenie 1

It might vary force by force I suppose. Or even between officers.

I have always been called or emailed with updates on arrest and court dates.

If he was badly beaten up I can only presume he would be updated especially as the lockie will probaby be required to attend court.

Although I agree with Mike many people struggle to get info out of them.

32 minutes ago, thebfg said:

If he was badly beaten up I can only presume he would be updated especially as the lockie will probaby be required to attend court.

This seems a highly probable explanation. If he has been called as a witness then they MUST have told him what's going on and that they have been arrested and charged with something. 

And from his position as a volly he may have been told by someone within CRT the boats have been seized. 

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

On the rare occasions I've been the victim of a crime, I've been told nothing by the police, not even when I've enquired or badgered for information. 

Perhaps the lock keeper is being kept better informed by his local fuzz. I hope so.

I think times have changed and the police, or at least their admin staff, have got much better at keeping the victim informed. When the car got vandalised at Devizes last winter (many vehicles done at the same time) there appeared to be very little interest in investigating the crime, but we did het a phone call asking if we were ok and wanted to be put in touch with a victim support group.

We didn't go to any victim support meetings, it would be a bit like Alicers restaurant and the group W bench    "what are you here for?"   "somebody smashed the side windows on my car ) :D

In fact, even many years ago when "work" was routinely burgled every year just before christmas the police would always visit to keep us updated with the progress of their investigation.

...............Dave

Edited by dmr
trivial correction

Bloody plod has told the criminals that they won't bother investigating minor crimes.  You can actually go online and get a list of offences that the police have promised to ignore.  This might encourage petty criminals to go full time.

IRONY ALERT

Edited by mross