Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
SilverComet

Broken pump out, whats normal and what isn't?

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

So, in real life, many folk's No1 quoted reason to select a pottie over a pump out, i.e. what happens when you're frozen in, turns out to be tosh?

 

Not really. As I said earlier, he can keep on buying new empty cassettes until the freeze finishes.

The best solution to Big Freezes however is to have a pump-out, fill it up once the freeze starts, then once full buy a Porta-Potti and keep on buying cassettes for is as necessary.

Then empty the whole lot on termination of the freeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

 

Not really. As I said earlier, he can keep on buying new empty cassettes until the freeze finishes.

The best solution to Big Freezes however is to have a pump-out, fill it up once the freeze starts, then once full buy a Porta-Potti and keep on buying cassettes for is as necessary.

Then empty the whole lot on termination of the freeze.

keeping buying new cassettes is fine if you are either near somewhere that sells them or you have transport to get there. I would imaigine that if you are  frozen in, it is quite possible that neither of these conditions is met. 

having used both systems, a pump out every time for me :-) 

haggis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what sort of toilets they use in the spaceships whirling around the planet. Cassettes wouldn't last long. There must be tons and tons of poo and pee flying around in orbit if sea type of lav's are in use. I believe there's a spaceship up there, one called   ''Sky Lav'' a kind of mobile public convenience I suppose for the gastronaughts to stop at and use, but how is it emptied. There are loads of folk there who spend weeks and weeks up there researching and studying things, what do they do. Is there a travelling pump out service operated by someone like they do on canals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the big freeze when was this then ..i must have been in hibernation .been boating nearly 19 years now ...yes in that time we have had some freeze overs .but nothing to stop us in our tracks ...i think the last mayor freeze was in the 80s ...but like i say i can not remember ..im sure some one will put me right on that one ,any  minute................................................now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was frozen in at the bottom Tardebigge for 10 days a couple or 3 years ago. Lots of the country was more badly affected at the time iirc from posts on here. Had to abandon the ascent as the lock work window closed, so we had to reverse a mile and a half and 5 locks to wind at Black Prince's yard. Went up the Severn, headed north up the Shroppie and had to turn around at Brewood as it started to freeze again.

It's not that big an issue, is it, but my point is that being frozen in is a hackneyed reason for rubbishing pump outs in favour of cassettes. Personal choice I get, but that particular reason doesn't appear to stack up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I remember being frozen in at T&K marina in January for about three weeks, about 9 or 10 years ago.

I remember it clearly as I'd only just bought this boat and I couldn't get on and use it!

I remember 1963 (IIRC) when the sea froze off the Wirral. That was cold! The canals must have been bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I was frozen in at the bottom Tardebigge for 10 days a couple or 3 years ago. Lots of the country was more badly affected at the time iirc from posts on here. Had to abandon the ascent as the lock work window closed, so we had to reverse a mile and a half and 5 locks to wind at Black Prince's yard. Went up the Severn, headed north up the Shroppie and had to turn around at Brewood as it started to freeze again.

It's not that big an issue, is it, but my point is that being frozen in is a hackneyed reason for rubbishing pump outs in favour of cassettes. Personal choice I get, but that particular reason doesn't appear to stack up.

It is really as you say just a personal choice, for me one leak or block up in a pump out system would be one too many aside from the fact i have never felt comfortable about the thought of having a tank full of unpleasantness under the bed ... so for me a cassette with spare tanks should i need them is the ideal solution ... yes it means i have to empty my tank on a regular basis and some elsan points are less than pleasant, but at least its away from my boat.... as for getting to and from sanitary points its no different than having to go and get coal or shopping should you get caught out in a freeze.

The other obvious point is the fact the weather is far more accurate than it ever used to be my current app predicts the temperature hourly in advance up to a week ahead and is very rarely more than a degree out, so if you were to get frozen in in the middle of nowhere its more likely to be down to bad planning. 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 13:36, Sea Dog said:

And if you're frozen in between emptying points?

This is a genuine question by the way.  As I said above, I've been frozen in for 10 days nowhere near a sanitary station. It's being frozen in which is often flagged as the big advantage of the cassette over the pump out, but no-one has chosen to answer this particular query.

That of course is a strong point in favour of composting or even incinerator loos. One of the problems for those is the space required for the installation and for storing the output)

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 20:06, Bewildered said:

A long walk pushing a wheelbarrow or pulling a trolley with a couple of cassettes on. Or if near friends who drive ask them to take you and your cassettes to the Elsan.

I have met boater, who moved very slowly along the cut, he told me that he just pops into a field and digs a hole to empty the cassette in; rather disgusting and environmentally a big no, no. Or perhaps that should be a big do, do?:huh:

The occasional practice of digging a hole is not unreasonable but only, only, only  if there's no non bio Blue type liquid is used. Everything in moderation - but that's what people forget - "he did it, why then shouldn't I....) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dccruiser said:

.... i have never felt comfortable about the thought of having a tank full of unpleasantness under the bed ... 

And yet a similar amount of steel between you and the muddy or industrial ditch is OK? Or carrying the same effluent around in a thin walled plastic tank and having to pour it out isn't getting even closer to the unpleasantness? 

I completely agree about it being personal preference, in fact I have no particular strong feelings in favour of one over the other and didn't/wouldn't choose or dismiss a boat based on this facility, but it's always such a emotive subject and I just don't get any of the justifications potty folk so adamantly apply. "The boat came with it, so I've stayed with it" works fine for me and beyond that I guess I'll stay mystified - at least the 'frozen in' myth is busted. 

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

And yet a similar amount of steel between you and the muddy or industrial ditch is OK? Or carrying the same effluent around in a thin walled plastic tank and having to pour it out isn't getting even closer to the unpleasantness? 

I think you will find most tanks are far less than the 6mm sides of my boat ... also, if the said muddy ditch had the same aroma as the effluent from a leaking tank or seal I dont think there would be too many people living and boating on it! 

With proper management i have never had a problem with a plastic tank as once its full i empty it ... very rarely  store a full one aboard and if i have to its stored outside in the cratch or under the pramhood ... yes i have to empty and clean the tank regularly but i have never had a leak or a "toilet " smell on my boat so i consider it well worth it, but each to his or her own.

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a bummer but you need to just take it. Fix the damages, inspect other parts and move on. Sadly some kind of damage or system failures is time to time part of any ship. It can warm your hearth, that it can be much worse. Check out this brand "new" yacht. You would love that. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/11/2017 at 10:43, bizzard said:

I wonder what sort of toilets they use in the spaceships whirling around the planet. Cassettes wouldn't last long. There must be tons and tons of poo and pee flying around in orbit if sea type of lav's are in use. I believe there's a spaceship up there, one called   ''Sky Lav'' a kind of mobile public convenience I suppose for the gastronaughts to stop at and use, but how is it emptied. There are loads of folk there who spend weeks and weeks up there researching and studying things, what do they do. Is there a travelling pump out service operated by someone like they do on canals.

They eject the solids earthwards and it burns up on re-entry. Urine is recycled.

According to Hollywood, when the urine was ejected on the Apollo flights and instantly froze, twinkling in the sunlight, they used to call it the ‘Constellation Urine”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was totally sold on my pumpout when the guy on the boat moored alongside in London dropped his thin plastic tank (cassette) when carrying it up the steps at the front of his boat. The resultant odour was still detectable 4 days later when he moved on, I suspect much longer for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Detling said:

I was totally sold on my pumpout when the guy on the boat moored alongside in London dropped his thin plastic tank (cassette) when carrying it up the steps at the front of his boat. The resultant odour was still detectable 4 days later when he moved on, I suspect much longer for him.

And conversely i was sold on my cassette after being on a few boats over the years where the pumpout had leaked from the tank or a seal :) 

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×