hello all getting into boating

Stephen Stacey

Featured Posts

Ok that's fine will take ID and proof of address. and no not mates who will be interested in canals or looking at boats unfortunately and do call me cheep if you so wish :) but don't really want to have to pay petrol money when I can get the train there and back for free.

Regarding kayaking, it's something I do more or less daily, for fitness. Technically you need a licence, 60 quid or so a year I think, but I've never been asked in 4 years. I'd suggest there are few risks. Once or twice I've met a narrow boat coming in the opposite direction in a short tunnel but no problem, paddle like mad in reverse, you'll outpace it. The biggest risk is in the winter months when, if you fall in, you'll get hypothermia very quickly. Falling in the canal isn't the problem, it's getting warm again after falling in. The only time you're likely to get a dunking is when getting on or off the kayak. This is tricky, and takes lots of practice.

My top tip would be to ignore those who yell "you should be wearing a life jacket". I don't. Instead, start in the wamer months and practice getting on and off the thing until you can do it easily, with no risk of falling in.  

Four years ago you registered on site and had to provide photo I'D like a driving licence or passport and also a mobile phone number. 

We arrived on our shareboat arrived and spent a day looking over the boats. They would let you have keys to three boats at a time back then, but things may have changed.

Try to look over as many as you can in different time price ranges and of different stern styles. Also rear galley versus central galley. 

After a while you will begin to get a feel of what you do and don't like. 

On 10/26/2017 at 20:54, ditchcrawler said:

That is because most people don't stand in the right place, you should be standing inside the hatch, not on the back deck like 90% of boaters do. The first one is correct the second one wrong

photos from Alamy on the web

trad.jpg

Love this boat, I want exactly this at about 58' then convert the loading area.

41 minutes ago, HBROK said:

Love this boat, I want exactly this at about 58' then convert the loading area.

No you don't want that at all.

Chopping 12ft + out of a piece of history and then converting over the hold is not what you want to do at all, trust me.

Unless of course you'd buy a Showman's Steam Traction Engine in order to put a Ford Mondeo engine in, scrap the steam plant and fit Carlos Fandango racing wheels, overtaking mirrors and go faster stripes.

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

Chopping 12ft + out of a piece of history and then converting over the hold is not what you want to do at all, trust me.

Unless of course you'd buy a Showman's Steam Traction Engine in order to put a Ford Mondeo engine in, scrap the steam plant and fit Carlos Fandango racing wheels, overtaking mirrors and go faster stripes.

Alas this is the reality :(

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Personally I'd suggest you look at boats in a range of sizes before getting too fixed on this 50-60ft thing. Prices are high and rising, and a boat of that length priced at £30k or less is likely to be getting on a bit and in need of a certain amount of (probably expensive) TLC, if not more drastic work such as overplating. On the other hand, £30k might buy you a very nice 30-40ft boat (say). You probably won't find a dinette on a smaller boat, but you might well find a thoughtfully-planned space with a fixed bed, living area, galley and bathroom - and you'd certainly find something a lot bigger and more practical than the sort of small GRP boat you were talking about in your first post!

On 27 October 2017 at 12:43, Machpoint005 said:

Not sure about the first one being "right" -- the steerer may be, but what about the crew???

Where is the correct place for a non steering crew member to be when at the stern of a trad boat? Please?

12 minutes ago, Humblespud said:

Where is the correct place for a non steering crew member to be when at the stern of a trad boat? Please?

Certainly not on the stern deck.

Mine sits on the cabin roof by the hatch on a 'seat'. Access to which is via two folding carriage steps. On longer runs the steerer will sit likewise.

1 hour ago, Humblespud said:

Good question. As it's important to be out of the way of the tiller arm, and not vulnerable to risks at bridge holes, and also desirable not to obstruct the steerer's view, I would say avoid the stern deck and roof and stand on the gunnel as in the picture. Safe enough, subject to several precautions:

Don't do it in a tunnel.

Stand on the towpath side to eliminate the risk of being squashed against one side of a bridge. The boat in the picture seems to be winding, so temporarily has no towpath side!

As always when on the outside of a boat, keep your own lookout and wear a lifejacket if on deep water i.e. most rivers.

Hold on! Think about your footing and keep one hand on the rail.

If I were to sit on the roof, I'd want to be facing forwards with my legs over the towpath side so that I'd have an easy escape route when approaching a low bridge.

21 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Or worse.

Buy a steam roller and convert it into a fake showmans engine.

21 hours ago, zenataomm said:

12 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Or worse.

Buy a steam roller and convert it into a fake showmans engine.

It's personal taste/choice really though isn't it, although mine was just a passing comment and I think it is true some would want to do it.

It happens with all sorts of transport- cars, trucks, ships, motorbikes, scooters, aircraft, the list goes on. If someone wants to do that its ok but you wont have the purists on side but that's ok too.

The picture I quoted initially is what I would like but it would have to be made as a one off bespoke design as opposed to chopping out 12ft  from an older boat.

Just a personal choice.;)

23 hours ago, magictime said:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Personally I'd suggest you look at boats in a range of sizes before getting too fixed on this 50-60ft thing. Prices are high and rising, and a boat of that length priced at £30k or less is likely to be getting on a bit and in need of a certain amount of (probably expensive) TLC, if not more drastic work such as overplating. On the other hand, £30k might buy you a very nice 30-40ft boat (say). You probably won't find a dinette on a smaller boat, but you might well find a thoughtfully-planned space with a fixed bed, living area, galley and bathroom - and you'd certainly find something a lot bigger and more practical than the sort of small GRP boat you were talking about in your first post!

Thanks advice noted and I will remember it when I go to look at boats 

Its no longer just be on my own anymore as I am now back with my girlfriend so going to have to try and convince her to move into a boat now I did mention it to her once before but only as a passing thing and that was a year and a half ago. This could take some convincing on the plus side If I can talk her into at least looking at some boats and giving it a chance I will have a way of getting to the Marina as she's drives.

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:17, Humblespud said:

With legs hanging down into cabin hatchway? Sort of sideways? Or totally up on roof?

Yes - sideways.

There are two folding carriage steps on either side so that whoever is on the roof can - reasonably quickly - dismount in times of need (that's what carriage steps are for. We did some carriage driving before building our boat).

I extended the tiller arm slightly so that the boat can be steered reasonably easily while sitting on the roof. Also have two 'seats' to fill the gap between the rail and slide.

On 11/1/2017 at 10:54, Humblespud said:

Frankly, standing on the side deck and leaning on the cabin side just like in the photo.

It's where I always stand when someone else is steering my boat as I'm out of the tiller arc and leaning on the cabin side is a nice sociable place to be. With the nice solid handrail to hold it is far more secure and safe than it looks in the photo.