Interesting repair technique

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

Took a family walk up the Hudds Narrow this afternoon, passed some contractors doing a bit of maintenance. Basically just pumping expanding foam into the lock sides which you can see has popped out in places and generally got everywhere. Is this the new standard repair then?

image.jpeg

Its quite a nice idea, digging up and rebuilding the lock, and the surrounding area, is going to cost quite a bit, so if this "botch" only works one time in ten its still a good investment.

.................Dave

3 hours ago, rasputin said:

Closed cell?

That’s what was said earlier, for sure...

16 hours ago, F DRAYKE said:

Doing the same on the K & A today at Bath top lock. Stopping leaks into the bank side with close cell foam.

3 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I believe Cowroast Lock is schedued soon for the same treatment.

This was completed about a month ago, treated the lockside wall adjoining the two cottages. Works took about 2 weeks to complete, lock stayed open.

M.

That's geo-polymer ground injection. A relatively new process in geotechnical engineering. The substance is a resin but it's precise chemical composition I don't know. Suffice to say though I strongly doubt that it is any of things it is described as above and it probably has some form of mineral base material. I would hope some attention is given by CRT to site supervision and control.

I shall ask my geotechnical colleagues what use they make of this technique. I am aware of using soap waste and polystyrene blocks in earthwork construction but this is very different.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Matty's photo explains why there was a similar sausage at the side of the lock (can't see it in my pic), I'd just assumed it was one of those floaty growbags CRT like to use that had found its way into the lock and they'd fished it out whilst waiting for the pumping to finish. As a barrier to stop overspill foam from floating away it's not that great.

also, below the lock they had moored a pair of flimsy-looking pontoons made of grey plastic blocks and thin scaffold-type poles, these were still there after the contractors had gone. Unsure of their use as they looked too unsteady and unsafe as a working platform.

On 10/25/2017 at 22:30, Hudds Lad said:

Took a family walk up the Hudds Narrow this afternoon, passed some contractors doing a bit of maintenance. Basically just pumping expanding foam into the lock sides which you can see has popped out in places and generally got everywhere. Is this the new standard repair then?

image.jpeg

Wonderful ! - this looks like a very good way of starting the walls moving in and narrowing the chamber. Expanding foam is capable of producing very high, outward acting forces when injected into voids and cavities - just what rickety old lock chamber walls need !

6 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

That's geo-polymer ground injection. A relatively new process in geotechnical engineering. The substance is a resin but it's precise chemical composition I don't know. Suffice to say though I strongly doubt that it is any of things it is described as above and it probably has some form of mineral base material. I would hope some attention is given by CRT to site supervision and control.

a development following on from the use of bentonite?

2 hours ago, Murflynn said:

a development following on from the use of bentonite?

I don't think so because bentonite is used in slurry form as a temporary means of counteracting pressure from groundwater while undertaking excavation or boring works. In civil engineering it often gets displaced by the permanent concrete works. This would be more akin to grouting but presumably suitable for use in saturated soils as the polymer wouldn't be affected by water in the same way as a cementitious material.

I am no expert in this field but I know folk who are. I shall ask them.

JP

2 hours ago, TheDuker said:

Wonderful ! - this looks like a very good way of starting the walls moving in and narrowing the chamber. Expanding foam is capable of producing very high, outward acting forces when injected into voids and cavities - just what rickety old lock chamber walls need !

As explained. It isn't expanding foam.