Please Help Make It Familiar Again

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It might look vaguely familiar again now Rich has fiddled with your account. 

But honestly, its pathetic that techy mods need to do this. I am a member of several other forums and the user interface is rock solid and never changes, regardless of the security updates that constantly occur invisibly. 

Not Rich's fault. He should be applauded for doing this sort of stuff. Even though it ought to be unnecessary.  

The update that this topic refers to introduced (among other things) changes to how VNC works as you no doubt recall. After a week or so, we were able to change the functionality to near match the functionality provided by the old VNC. Unfortunately prior to this point, Cheshire Rose had set a custom stream as her default stream which is why I had manually change it for her in light of this topic. Fortunately most members will not have this problem but we appreciate there may be some exceptions to this.

RichM

Edited by RichM

1 minute ago, RichM said:

The update that this topic refers to introduced (among other things) changes to how VNC worked as you no doubt recall. After a week or so, we were able to change the functionality to near match the functionality provided by the old VNC. Unfortunately prior to this point, Cheshire Rose had set a custom stream as her default stream which is why I had manually change them for her in light of this topic. Fortunately most members will not have this problem but appreciate there may be some exceptions to this.

RichM

I have been directly informed out and about on the cut by about half a dozen ex-posters (and there are probably a good deal more I haven't met!) that they no longer post here due to the new software being incomprehensible and unusable. 

I totally understand their POV. I wasted many hours of time before getting it right.

Well I guess it just shows that I was actively trying to make it work all those months ago, with hindsight I should have left it well alone and let the geeks get it sirted before I started trying to tweak things but thank you for putting it right for me and, as it appears it is just a glitch I had created myself rather than something that others may have a problem with please feel free to delete the thread as it is quite clearly dragging up some painful memories for some folks. 

Onwards! 

52 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It might look vaguely familiar again now Rich has fiddled with your account. 

But honestly, its pathetic that techy mods need to do this. I am a member of several other forums and the user interface is rock solid and never changes, regardless of the security updates that constantly occur invisibly. 

Not Rich's fault. He should be applauded for doing this sort of stuff. Even though it ought to be unnecessary.  

I normally use Firefox but for the last few weeks I have not been able to use "reply" and new content only shows about twenty items with no "load more activity"button, so I am using Safari for this post. The background colour for this site on Safari is the usual blue but it is black on Firefox

20 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I normally use Firefox but for the last few weeks I have not been able to use "reply" and new content only shows about twenty items with no "load more activity"button, so I am using Safari for this post. The background colour for this site on Safari is the usual blue but it is black on Firefox

Personally I use Chrome but I'm not seeing that when I test using Firefox. I have attached a screenshot of what I see showing how it should look. It would be useful if you could take a screenshot to compare. Also, is your Firefox set to update automatically and do you know what your screen size & resolution is?

RichM

ff.png

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

It took me bloody ages,  got there on mobile , then had to go and do the same on the laptop, which was even more painful, it was more than 6 months ago and don't want to go through the same again for a while thankyou. 

Netweather uses the same forum base and has gone through 2 changes in the last 2 years, I havnt had to do a thing. !!!

I'm sorry to see you feel that way. We try to do what we think is right and to accommodate our members as best as we can but despite that we don't always get it right. As such we continually look to improve based on feedback we receive.

I am intrigued as to how Netweather went through 2 major IPBoard changes without necessitating the need for users to spend some time getting accustomed to it. It would be good to see how such a task was achieved. I just tried to take a look but unfortunately I see the attached error, indicating that they have too many SQL connections. Guess I will have to check back later...

RichM

netweather.png

10 hours ago, RichM said:

I had a look - you had a custom stream set as default which I understand you set up following the update as you alluded to. I have now made it so the "View New Content" stream appears by default on your forum account. We configured this to replicate the old VNC as best as we could. Hopefully it will work better for you. Other members should have this as default too unless they have set up custom streams at any point. 

Cheers

RichM

Thanks Richard

10 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Oh wow!

Eureka! it's familiar again! Thank you so much. I guess you tweaked it to make it better some time after I gave up and so the stuff I had done stopped me getting it right again.

Thanks a million Rich. I am a happy bunny 

Now who was asking for an auction?

Yes, originally the new content button behaviour was different and various people detailed various ways the use the custom settings to replicate the old.

We then adjusted the default to better replicate the previous versions behaviour, but this intentionally did not overwrite and custom streams people has created.

Glad it's now working as you expect.

Daniel

I'm with Cheshire Rose on this. 

It even looks like today the layout has changed from yesterday. Every time i come on here something is different. A while back i was getting a notification every time someone posted anything, anywhere on any thread. Now i get no notifications at all, even if someone quotes me.

I'd be curious to know how many times I've posted since the layout of the forum changed considerably, but it's few compared to how active i used to be and how much i enjoyed the forum. I'm sure there must be others who feel the same.

8 hours ago, RichM said:

I'm sorry to see you feel that way. We try to do what we think is right and to accommodate our members as best as we can but despite that we don't always get it right. As such we continually look to improve based on feedback we receive.

I am intrigued as to how Netweather went through 2 major IPBoard changes without necessitating the need for users to spend some time getting accustomed to it. It would be good to see how such a task was achieved. I just tried to take a look but unfortunately I see the attached error, indicating that they have too many SQL connections. Guess I will have to check back later...

RichM

netweather.png

Just now, DHutch said:

Yes, originally the new content button behaviour was different and various people detailed various ways the use the custom settings to replicate the old.

We then adjusted the default to better replicate the previous versions behaviour, but this intentionally did not overwrite and custom streams people has created.

Glad it's now working as you expect.

Daniel

I think that's part of the problem. To you those sentences seem normal, but to me they may as well be Japanese. 

Moans:

• Spacing of sentences is crap. I have to use blobs to get lines close together.
  • Topics vanish off my stream list as soon as I come out of them. If I have an afterthought I can't easily get back to them. And the process of vanishing them is so slow, I have to wait before I can select the next topic.
  • I seem to see the posts of people I have put on my ignore list.
  • I can't put Moderators on my ignore list so I have to see all their comments whether to do with moderating or not.
  • Accidently passing the cursor near the Avatars throws up a big window of detail I do NOT need. I should have to click on it to get this. It seriously gets in the way of moving around.
  • Despite having got used to the new system it has not got "comfortable". I just don't like it.

6 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Accidently passing the cursor near the Avatars throws up a big window of detail I do NOT need. I should have to click on it to get this. It seriously gets in the way of moving around.

This especially. I find it enfuriating to find half the screen randomly blocked out with those huge flyouts when I accidentally pass the cursor over an (unnecessarily huge) avatar too. 

I've complained about this before but my comments were not addressed or acknowledged. 

5 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Moans:

• Spacing of sentences is crap. I have to use blobs to get lines close together.
  • Topics vanish off my stream list as soon as I come out of them. If I have an afterthought I can't easily get back to them. And the process of vanishing them is so slow, I have to wait before I can select the next topic.
  • I seem to see the posts of people I have put on my ignore list.
  • I can't put Moderators on my ignore list so I have to see all their comments whether to do with moderating or not.
  • Accidently passing the cursor near the Avatars throws up a big window of detail I do NOT need. I should have to click on it to get this. It seriously gets in the way of moving around.
  • Despite having got used to the new system it has not got "comfortable". I just don't like it.

Most of what you post I don't find happening.   

I am happy with the spacing of mine and others posts.

Never had a topic disappear, is it perhaps something to do with your settings.

I can understand why the forum software doesn't allow ignoring of the mods and as I don't have an ignore list I can't comment on that.

I agree the popup from the avatars is a bit of a pain but I have got used to having my cursor placed appropriately when scrolling.

Personally I don't find the feel of this software greatly different to the old.  If anything I think I prefer it.  I suppose what I am saying really is "different strokes for different folks".

I had an enormous number of problems when the software was updated, and with help from memmers managed to get the forum into some sort of readable semblence, then Firefox decided it was no longer going to support Windows Vista, exceopt in a very basic form, and canal world effectively stopped working. 

I was already in the process of getting a new computer, and when that arrived using Windows 10, everything worked well and has done so ever since. Except for this thread, which has something odd - every post has an arrow in the left hand column with the number 0 below it, if I right click on the arrow, a box comes up saying "vote this answer up" What is that all about? none of the other threads have this oddity.

Edited by David Schweizer

5 minutes ago, IanM said:

I must be doing something wrong, I just adapted to how the new software worked rather than trying to get it to look like the old version.

Oooh look, a forum member who found the new software actually worked straight from the box. How rare! 

10 minutes ago, IanM said:

As I said, I must be doing something wrong then if I didn't have an issue with it!

Take a look at some other forum software around and this one is really a breeze to use!

I am a member of several forums and I find this one far more clumsy, awkward and counter-intuitive than any of the others. 

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I was already in the process of getting a new computer, and when that arrived using Windows 10, everything worked well and has done so ever since. Except for this thread, which has something odd - every post has an arrow in the left hand column with the number 0 below it, if I right click on the arrow, a box comes up saying "vote this answer up" What is that all about? none of the other threads have this oddity.

It's because its a 'question' thread. People seemingly can vote answers up and somebody gets a green cup for giving the 'best' answer voted by members. I discovered this the other day accidentally when a green 'cup' suddenly appeared next to an answer I had given in another thread, (ed - but looking at the zero nobody actually seems to have voted for it - wierd).

n9fL9PJh.png

Edited by MJG

You get what you pay for.

I am a member on a number of other forums (who all use VBulletin)

In all of the years I have been a member on those forums security up dates have never impacted on the users operation of the forum, or the visual lay-out.

I have asked the questions before as to why we do not use the VBulletin software here to be told it is too expensive.

I know that the forum Technical staff would prefer to change to VBulletin

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In all of the years I have been a member on those forums security up dates have never impacted on the users operation of the forum, or the visual lay-out.

^^^This^^^

I think its appallingly unprofessional to roll out security upgrades mixed up with messy, ground-up user interface re-hashes. 

(Unprofessional of InVision I mean, not the forum administrators here.)

58 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Except for this thread, which has something odd - every post has an arrow in the left hand column with the number 0 below it, if I right click on the arrow, a box comes up saying "vote this answer up" What is that all about? none of the other threads have this oddity.

I see the same on this thread,  and very occasionally on other threads. 

11 hours ago, RichM said:

Personally I use Chrome but I'm not seeing that when I test using Firefox. I have attached a screenshot of what I see showing how it should look. It would be useful if you could take a screenshot to compare. Also, is your Firefox set to update automatically and do you know what your screen size & resolution is?

RichM

ff.png

Screenshots on Firefox:

Screenshot1.png

Screenshot2.png