Please Help Make It Familiar Again

Featured Posts

I have spent far too much of my life on this forum for me to just walk away and although I have not posted much for a very long time there have been two reasons for that. There was a period of time when the forum was quite a dark place to be but it seems to have recovered and I was just starting to pop my head above the parapet again when the software changed. 

Now I know hundreds of you have got your head around the newer version of the software months ago and I do remember various people at the time who were busily going about tweaking their accounts to get the format to show in a way that was more intuitive to them and then posting helpful posts about which buttons to press and in which order but I got lost. I did start to do some of the tweaks and it improved slightly but I still can't get my head around how I can easily use the forum the way I used to. 

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to spend a little time talking me through how to get this place looking right again?

What I used to do was click "See New Content" and it would refresh a list of topics that has new posts in them. That way I could choose which topics I wanted to read.

Now I have to click "My Stream" and it will show me a list of posts and which topic they are posted in. This means if there is a hot topic I get a list of posts in that topic even if it is not something I am interested in. 

For example if I click that button now the first "page" it has:

7 entries under the topic "New Batteries - Problem"

5 entries about Widebeams not getting to Warwick today 

3 entries about Chickpea stew

3 about Hit and run 

3 about a JP2 

and two other random subjects. 

that totals 23 lines to tell me about just 7 topics. 

Is there any way I can adjust things to just show me what topics have new content in the last 24 hours instead of having to see a breakdown of who posted in which topic? 

3 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

I have spent far too much of my life on this forum for me to just walk away and although I have not posted much for a very long time there have been two reasons for that. There was a period of time when the forum was quite a dark place to be but it seems to have recovered and I was just starting to pop my head above the parapet again when the software changed. 

Now I know hundreds of you have got your head around the newer version of the software months ago and I do remember various people at the time who were busily going about tweaking their accounts to get the format to show in a way that was more intuitive to them and then posting helpful posts about which buttons to press and in which order but I got lost. I did start to do some of the tweaks and it improved slightly but I still can't get my head around how I can easily use the forum the way I used to. 

Is there anyone out there who would be willing to spend a little time talking me through how to get this place looking right again?

What I used to do was click "See New Content" and it would refresh a list of topics that has new posts in them. That way I could choose which topics I wanted to read.

Now I have to click "My Stream" and it will show me a list of posts and which topic they are posted in. This means if there is a hot topic I get a list of posts in that topic even if it is not something I am interested in. 

For example if I click that button now the first "page" it has:

7 entries under the topic "New Batteries - Problem"

5 entries about Widebeams not getting to Warwick today 

3 entries about Chickpea stew

3 about Hit and run 

3 about a JP2 

and two other random subjects. 

that totals 23 lines to tell me about just 7 topics. 

Is there any way I can adjust things to just show me what topics have new content in the last 24 hours instead of having to see a breakdown of who posted in which topic? 

Sort it out yersen woman and get a bloomin AUCTION started for ya canal :giggles:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Have you got " View new content " showing top right of screen?

No, I have "My Stream" 

I think this may have been something that I did when I tried to follow some instructions to tweak it when the software first changed but I have not got a Scooby Doo. 

5 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

sigh....... 

I can't remember how I did it but I have a button top right (well near the top) which shows new content as before.

I know I did it from instructions published on the forum by more knowledgeable remember.  I will try to look back and see if I can remember/find it.

It may take me a while, I hope some of the more computer savvy sort your problem more quickly.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Have you got " View new content " showing top right of screen?

It depends what you view the forum on and if the device you are using loads the desktop version or a version for tablets.

The' view new content' button on the latter version is like a notepad top right.

No, I have "My Stream" 

I think this may have been something that I did when I tried to follow some instructions to tweak it when the software first changed but I have not got a Scooby Doo. 

Oh blimey. I too found it impossible when it changed. I ended up pressing on different stuff and working it out eventualy but it was a pain. Trouble is every one thinks we are all twelve years old. I kid you not my 3 year old youngest grandkid is better on her mums iPhone than I am. I could show you if I were there but as a dinosaur I have no chance of helping like this. I am sure someone techy or less dinosaur will soon help :)

14 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

when the software changed. 

Honestly. I've been told SO MANY times changing everything so it is unrecognisable and hours of study are necessary to even begin to get back to where you were in the first plaice is 'progress'. Even Dan seems to believe this. 

Get with the times, making things impossible is the new black. Silly. 

I think it's is time we had another ground-up rewrite now most of us have finally figured out the last (err) upgrade. Too many members again. Time to drive way another tranche. No doubt Dan and RichM are secretly plotting the next useablility-destroying upgrade* as we speak.

* Misnomer of the decade. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Honestly. I've been told SO MANY times changing everything so it is unrecognisable and hours of study are necessary to even begin to get back to where you were in the first plaice is 'progress'. Even Dan seems to believe this. 

Get with the times, making things impossible is the new black. Silly. 

I think it's is time we had another ground-up rewrite now most of us have finally figured out the last (err) upgrade. Too many members again. Time to drive way another tranche. No doubt Dan and RichM are secretly plotting the next useablility-destroying upgrade* as we speak.

* Misnomer of the decade. 

Just don't - please!

It took me bloody ages,  got there on mobile , then had to go and do the same on the laptop, which was even more painful, it was more than 6 months ago and don't want to go through the same again for a while thankyou. 

Netweather uses the same forum base and has gone through 2 changes in the last 2 years, I havnt had to do a thing. !!!

Just don't - please!

Nothing the users here say makes any difference. Like boaters and CRT, our opinions and objections about 'upgrades' are dismissed summarily. Here,  in the name of 'security'. At CRT, in the name of visitor numbers. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Well I want to feel secure about this place again and I need it to look familiar for that to happen.

I am sorry if I missed the time when everyone else managed to get it fixed, maybe I should not have given up but I was trying to organise a team of volunteers who were fitting out some old boat and it just got too much for me

Edited by cheshire~rose

16 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

No, I have "My Stream" 

I had a look - you had a custom stream set as default which I understand you set up following the update as you alluded to. I have now made it so the "View New Content" stream appears by default on your forum account. We configured this to replicate the old VNC as best as we could. Hopefully it will work better for you. Other members should have this as default too unless they have set up custom streams at any point. 

Cheers

RichM

2 minutes ago, RichM said:

I had a look - you had a custom stream set as default which I understand you set up following the update as you alluded to. I have now made it so the "View New Content" stream appears by default on your forum account. We configured this to replicate the old VNC as best as we could. Hopefully it will work better for you. Other members should have this as default too unless they have set up custom streams at any point. 

Cheers

RichM

Oh wow!

Eureka! it's familiar again! Thank you so much. I guess you tweaked it to make it better some time after I gave up and so the stuff I had done stopped me getting it right again.

Thanks a million Rich. I am a happy bunny 

Now who was asking for an auction?

Well I want to feel secure about this place again and I need it to look familiar for that to happen.

I am sorry if I missed the time when everyone else managed to get it fixed, maybe I should not have given up but I was trying to organise a team of volunteers who were fitting out some old boat and it just got too much for me

I hadn't posted on here for many months until recently but when I did (on a desktop) the "view new content button' was just there without any apparent intervention from me.

9 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Well I want to feel secure about this place again and I need it to look familiar for that to happen

It might look vaguely familiar again now Rich has fiddled with your account. 

But honestly, its pathetic that techy mods need to do this. I am a member of several other forums and the user interface is rock solid and never changes, regardless of the security updates that constantly occur invisibly. 

Not Rich's fault. He should be applauded for doing this sort of stuff. Even though it ought to be unnecessary.  

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Missing worm