BCN Moorons

nicknorman

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Now I'm REALLY curious. I often see posts here which quote another post without adding anything. Are they something to do with prodding someone with that twig? How so?

I have always taken it to be cock-up but in this case it was because I had drafted a couple of responses before concluding that I didn't really need to defend myself against the characterisation presented hence I literally decided to say nothing and demonstrate such.

I've never even used the report function on this forum.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

3 hours ago, nicknorman said:

But the difference is, all those boats in congested pack were just waiting to do something, get a load from a nearby wharf or whatever. They weren’t moored in a random place causing an obstruction for weeks at a time.

I was going to post something similar to Alan, but what he has said certainly reflects my experience of working boat practice during the last few years of operation on the Grand Union. Of course there were not really many lock landing places as such in the 1960's just towpath edge, sometimes with a couple of huge wooden bollards, so a pair would moor up wherever they could find enough depth of water after a long working day. MInd you they would have been arriving long after you woulsd normally tie up, and would be gone probably before you were awake, so they wouldn't have actually inconvenienced any one.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I can assure you you actually couldn't be more wrong Nick.

You clearly don't have the interest to look at many images of how the canals were actually worked.

Boats were left all over the place if it suited those doing it, and pictures of what looks like mayhem at locks and junctions are commonplace.

Working boaters would very rarely have brought their boat to the side as they were about to work through a lock - there probably would not have been the required depth anyway.

The normal way of working was that if you knew a lock was ahead, and if a boater coming the other way had not indicated it was in your favour, (the gates would have been left open of course), then you would have someone ahead on a bike, and it would have been nade ready to motor straight in to.

Boats moored as in your picture would seldom have been an issue.

Note I am not saying that is how things still should work, or condoning the boats you are unhappy with - I'm simply pulling you up on historical accuracy/

Here ya go, look beyond the top gates.

$_57 (2).JPG

(It was possibly the aftermath of a stoppage, but why let the facts get in the way of a good story) :ninja:

Edited by Ray T
  • Happy 1

I think the naughty boaters concerned are just trying to be helpful. That lock landing is indeed shallow, I cant get on it. Now at this time of year its even quieter than usual up there so if a single handed boater got grounded he could be stuck for months before another boat passed to execute a rescue. The two boats are just using deploying themselves as the canal equivalent of a lighthouse. :D

but more seriously, a few small responsible canal communities on some of the quieter parts of the BCN might actually be a very good thing.

...............Dave

25 minutes ago, dmr said:

but more seriously, a few small responsible canal communities on some of the quieter parts of the BCN might actually be a very good thing.

...............Dave

I quite agree. There is so much space and scope for it. But not on a lock landing on a junction!

But it is coming slowly, there are more boats on the W&E say around Brownhills these days. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/10/2017 at 18:37, nicknorman said:

Usually full of scruffy people with cheapo batteries that don’t work properly!

Well you sound like a right judgmental old git. Unfortunately more and more of your type seem to be taking up boating. You watch a few episodes of Tim and Pru and decide  that boatings going to be your new hobby.  And then moan about other canal users because they don't fit into your blinkered idea of what boating should be. Hopefully you'll soon get bored and swap your boat for a nice caravan. Then those of use who enjoy the diversity of the inland waterways can all get on in peace. 

3 hours ago, The Crusty Crow said:

Well you sound like a right judgmental old git. Unfortunately more and more of your type seem to be taking up boating. You watch a few episodes of Tim and Pru and decide  that boatings going to be your new hobby.  And then moan about other canal users because they don't fit into your blinkered idea of what boating should be. Hopefully you'll soon get bored and swap your boat for a nice caravan. Then those of use who enjoy the diversity of the inland waterways can all get on in peace. 

What a silly and ignorant person you are. I’ve been boating far longer than you have and it’s the relatively recent arrival of selfish people who think the world owes them a living, that they can do what they like on the canals without a care of how it might affect other people, that is responsible for the recent decline. I expect you are one of them.

2 hours ago, dmr said:

Nick certainly can be a bit of a monster in some of his posts :D but you really should read the forum before attacking him, he already has a caravan! and an aeroplane, and is certainly not a "Tim and Pru" newcomer. If you seriously want to insult him then Hudsons and Butlers is the accepted approach.

................Dave

You forgot rivets! And I have no aeroplanes, but I have two aircraft. Well I do get the use of two aeroplanes as well I suppose.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

He had to drag up a post the best part of 3 weeks old to get that shot in - must be quite keen for an argument!  

Presumably we can expect to wait another 3 weeks for the repost. Some people are very slow at typing. I’ve put a note in my diary (you know, the one with a signed photo of Tim and Pru on the cover).

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

He had to drag up a post the best part of 3 weeks old to get that shot in - must be quite keen for an argument!  

Do you reckon he wants the five minute argument, or the full half hour? 

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dmr said:

If you seriously want to insult him then Hudsons and Butlers is the accepted approach.

................Dave

^^^^^^^
This.......

and of course.......

this.........

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

You forgot rivets!

........except they are not rivets, of course!

(That's given me my daily fix - thanks!).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

(snip)

You forgot rivets! And I have no aeroplanes, but I have two aircraft. Well I do get the use of two aeroplanes as well I suppose.

One for use by the butler? (When he's not polishing rivets.) :icecream:

On 11/11/2017 at 13:25, nicknorman said:

What a silly and ignorant person you are.

Pot, kettle black comes to mind. There was more than enough space on the lock landing for you to use it. I came past there whilst they were moored there and stopped off for an hour. This is also a lock that is hardly ever used as most folk use other flights at factory or smethwick. This is why it is heavily silted up and difficult to manoeuvre.

But hey ho, carry on with your lovely summer hobby of racing around the BCN and moaning about anyone who has the audacity to be in your way. Hopefully you have mothballed your boat for the winter so those of us who cruise the BCN and surrounding canals all year round can get on in peace. 

On 11/11/2017 at 13:29, nicknorman said:

Presumably we can expect to wait another 3 weeks for the repost. Some people are very slow at typing. I’ve put a note in my diary (you know, the one with a signed photo of Tim and Pru on the cover).

I only use this forum when looking for advice from members and there wealth of knowledge.  Not somewhere i would choose to slag other boaters off. Until now. However your pathetic "moorons" post ended up on a Facebook.  So you're now famous on there for being a moaning old git too. Why don't you go and tell the boat owner on there how he was in your way? 

5 minutes ago, The Crusty Crow said:

I only use this forum when looking for advice from members and there wealth of knowledge.  Not somewhere i would choose to slag other boaters off. Until now. However your pathetic "moorons" post ended up on a Facebook.  So you're now famous on there for being a moaning old git too. Why don't you go and tell the boat owner on there how he was in your way? 

Wow your typing is getting faster! Have you been having lessons?

Anyway, since you are a self confessed “all take and no give” sort of person I’m sure you got on very well with the chap moored on the lock landing on the junction. So much in common!

Edited by nicknorman

Oh dear! Oh well nick norman. If you really wanted to have a moan you could have posted your experience on "moored like a twat" Facebook group. Or ask a friend to help you to if you're not competent enough.

Anyway, have a pleasant afternoon.

Tararabit.

Edited by The Crusty Crow