No wide beams getting to Warwick this morning

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Aye, complain to CRT......

20170216_171115.jpg

Yep definitely complain about those cowboys :D  Where is it BTW?

Just now, matty40s said:

They can make Kingswood junction and probably to the link lock, then reverse out again. 

Probably struggle down the link with boats moored both sides.  They could moor there and cause trouble though.

40 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

And importantly when?

Perhaps the canal at that time had a stoppage on for.................

...................engineering work?

George

Nope, they were moored there for well over a week. 

There were some works at Birstall Lock shortly after. 

CRT still permanently moor the 14ft x70ft workboat pictured closest to the bank on the inside of the bend the other side of the bridge from this. It is a struggle to get past in a deep drafted boat as the bankside has collapsed underwater in places.

5 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Why should they get away with it? It’s a wide beam canal.

Not up there according to Nicholsons IIRC. 

Perhaps the bloke has a bee in his bonnet about widebeams navigating where he thinks they shouldn't, so he set up the chicane. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Perhaps the bloke has a bee in his bonnet about widebeams navigating where he thinks they shouldn't, so he set up the chicane. 

But they build widebeams

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Gary Ward (Delta Marine Services) regularly takes the barges/widebeams he builds from Warwick to the Thames via the GU. There is a story (probably untrue) that when he built his first 'dutch barge' to dimensions given to him by BW, he found it would not pass under the old 'Tesco' road bridge (I give the name 'Tesco' for those familiar with the area - in fact the bridge was largely rebuilt as part of the Tesco development). Mr Ward, it is claimed modified the bridge with an angle grinder ...

My guess is that, having managed to launch about ten meters of concrete wash wall capping as well as a widebeam yesterday, he has had to shuffle boats around so he can try and remove the capping now in the cut. Until he does so, part of his moorings are unusable. 

One of several videos taken yesterday when Delta Marines 'half-launch' of a widebeam blocked off the canal for two hours. Proprietor, Gary Ward is seated on the fork lift.

You can clearly see the collapse  of the wash wall capping which I suspect is the reason for current navigational difficulties.

8 hours ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

One of several videos taken yesterday when Delta Marines 'half-launch' of a widebeam blocked off the canal for two hours. Proprietor, Gary Ward is seated on the fork lift.

You can clearly see the collapse  of the wash wall capping which I suspect is the reason for current navigational difficulties.

I'd send that video off to HSE. Some dangerous practises there. Bet their risk assessment for the launch is interesting reading.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

I'd send that video off to HSE. Some dangerous practises there. Bet their risk assessment for the launch is interesting reading.

From the video, it looks to me as though the plan was to steadily push the boat sideways over the wash wall and into the cut anyway. The wall collapsing meant one end of the boat went in too soon. 

Presumably CRT and hopefully the HSE will find out about this as the wash wall will need to be rebuilt, and a more suitable method of launching developed for the site. 

23 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Talk about mobile chicanes. Not sure how mobile this one is. The guy at Delta marine didnt give the impression the two breasted WBs were moving anytime soon. On a wide canal? GU by Bridge 48. 

There is a Facebook group called Moored like a Twat, these photos should fit in nicely on that site