Stiff tiller/rudder

jddevel

Featured Posts

On moving my sailaway to its location for painting it soon became very apparent that the tiller/rudder was extremely hard to move. I`m assuming that besides obviously being new that this maybe or I hope is because it requires greasing. If that`s the case whilst out of the water advice please how does one go about that?

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

On moving my sailaway to its location for painting it soon became very apparent that the tiller/rudder was extremely hard to move. I`m assuming that besides obviously being new that this maybe or I hope is because it requires greasing. If that`s the case whilst out of the water advice please how does one go about that?

Do you have a tiller arm fitted or are you trying to move it with the usual stumpy bit? Has it been stood and rusted up a little? Has it been cilled or similar damage occurred?

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Do you have a tiller arm fitted or are you trying to move it with the usual stumpy bit? Has it been stood and rusted up a little? Has it been cilled or similar damage occurred?

Tiller arm fitted, not cilled however it stood from at least Aug 2016 until Sept 2017 on the hard and open to the elements. 

3 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Tiller arm fitted, not cilled however it stood from at least Aug 2016 until Sept 2017 on the hard and open to the elements. 

Would need to see it then but look on the bright side it aint too loose!!

Due at the boat on Friday to get progress report on painting. Will check out commentators remarks. Painter has currently said has been unable to get someone to look at the problem. The boat is at Hesford Marina near Lymm which is a DIY yard where contractors can hire facilities. Painting being carried out by Carl Pickle trading as Cheshire Brush.

3 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Due at the boat on Friday to get progress report on painting. Will check out commentators remarks. Painter has currently said has been unable to get someone to look at the problem. The boat is at Hesford Marina near Lymm which is a DIY yard where contractors can hire facilities. Painting being carried out by Carl Pickle trading as Cheshire Brush.

Mine got very stiff while it was sitting being fitted and painted, put it in the water and it was fine in a few minutes when the water got in the cup.

9 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Not much point in painting it if it needs to be dismantled to replace a bearing

Would point out it`s a new boat albeit a sailaway that`s now about 15 months old and been ashore for 12 months of that time. I`m optimistic that it doesn`t need a new bearing. Fingers crossed.

An easy way to check if its the top bearing is to loosen the fixing bolts, no need to take them right out and see it you can move the tiller while holding the bearing housing still. Those top bearings, if they are the roller type don't like sitting with the races full of rain water and no grease even if they are sealed for life.

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Or a big hammer. If it still doesn’t move your hammer wasn’t big enough. 

True or swap the tiller bar for a long scaffold pole but I'm not sure the OP would be to keen to bray seven bells out of his pride and joy.  'Mbe ditchcrawler has a better idea in his post.

What sort of top bearing does it have?  If it is the square one with a ball race then they are quite prone to rusting up and greasing them is usually ineffective if the rudder post goes through at an angle.  Easy (and cheap) to replace, but better to fit a different sort, e.g. one with a nylon bearing.

Didn't the OP say this is a new boat?

Surely the answer is to call the seller and tell him to come and fix it; failing that, a solicitors letter and the threat of naming on this forum ought to help.

15 minutes ago, DRP said:

Didn't the OP say this is a new boat?

Hardly...

14 hours ago, jddevel said:

Would point out it`s a new boat albeit a sailaway that`s now about 15 months old and been ashore for 12 months of that time.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I'd expect a tiller to last a bit longer than 15 months, especially if the boat's been out of the water for 12 of those.

15 months is "new" from my viewpoint. 

1 minute ago, DRP said:

Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I'd expect a tiller to last a bit longer than 15 months, especially if the boat's been out of the water for 12 of those.

15 months is "new" from my viewpoint. 

No-one is suggesting that it hasn’t ‘lasted’. Just that it’s sat, unmoving, for 15 months. After a bit of use it’ll probably free right up.