Cruising the West of England

Terryb

Featured Posts

Well, I'm back. After a trip of 18 months 1296 miles and 978 locks I can now say I am a Bona Fide boater. Having ticked off all the Tunnels lock flights ( except Caen Hill and Tardebigge) and aquaducts. Including the Thames,Avon,Severn and some of the Trent. I can also say I've been there done that. 

I have also amassed some extra skills and learned some lessons on dos and don'ts. Like don't paint your boat if you're planning lots of single locks. Or don't tie up with centre line only too close to the lock you are going up. ( that was a Very Lucky escape)

I've visited most of the major towns and cities on the west and central England including Nth Wales. But sadly I've also missed out on some places I have on my bucket list but proved to be impractical at the time. The river Wey was in flood. The K and A closed while a body was removed and investigated. The Ribble link because of High winds etc. Apart from that I have had an incredible journey. With highlights including the very underrated Chirk and Marple Aquaduct. The top of the Rochdale. Low lights including the bottom of the Rochdale with lock 66 and the scum that frequent the place intent on causing trouble. I have also learned that the weather in the south is far nicer than the north. But most of all I have learned that hire boaters are not the baine of other canal users, that accolade belongs to the weekend warriors, the Brasso brigade. 

Overall, it's been an amazing year and a half. But I'm now going to chill out and plan my next adventure in a year or so. Trying to get some of the East side covered including the Wash crossing and a trip to Ripon and York. Not forgetting the Middle Levels. 

Thanks for all the help and guidance I recieved. You know who you are.20170729_080543.jpg.d84ca45e00e39a912244f6e129ecac11.jpg

20170502_132428.jpg

• Greenie 2

Well done. You have certainly earned you spurs.

Waved at you when you went past our house on the Coventry last year I think  then passed you whilst you were moored up at Fradley, but it looked like no one was on board.

Give us a wave next time you are on the Coventry. :)