Interactive Stoppages Map

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

Is there still a 'live' stoppages map on the CRT website?  You know. the one where you can zoom into the canal or along the route you're interested in and see the notices shown against the lock (or whatever) they apply to and click on the link for full details?  I've always had trouble finding my way to the the thing, so it's probably just me, but I have tried - honest!  I have the regional map pdfs and the tabular thing downloaded but, whilst the info is there if you know exactly where you're going, it's not a very efficient way to have a look at all the possible routes which remain open to you.  I'm trying to see where I can go for my Nov-Dec cruise.  Thanks.

• Happy 1

Thanks, but I've been to that page and downloaded the various regions  and the system wide info, but they're in pdf form and you refer to a list. The one I'm on about was a live page you could drag your way around the system and zoom in on the lock (say) with stoppage pins at it to see what dates it was affected and click on a link for further details.

You have to select each  waterway map (in your area map) and then use the maps embedded Menu to select Stoppages and notices

For example  

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network/leicester-line-grand-union-canal

ETA 

It seems that when you select a map by area it will only show the stoppages for that canal even if you zoom the display to show the map for another area

e.g

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network/grand-union-canal

is for the grand union zoomed in to cover Braunstone. The stoppages on this map are not shown on the previous Leicester Line map and vice versa, which could be confusing if you are not ware of it.

Basically you need to check each areas map that you are interested in you cannot just zoom from a area map you are currently looking at. 

Edited by reg

Reg, thanks. That's exactly the functionality I was looking for, but I was trying to get there through the stoppages section (as mross also suggested above). I didn't expect to find navigation stoppages under the 'events and activities' banner in the 'local to you' section. Mind you, whilst I have found the stoppages at the Hanbury 3, there doesn't appear to be any mention of the scheduled works on Tardebigge so I'm not sure how dependable this info source is to plan an entire cruise by.

I might be doing a George Bush Jr and 'misremembering', but I'm sure you used to be able to drag your way around the country (like you can - albeit detail free - by going beyond the locality you selected on that map), but the map had just blue waterways without the green and orange highlighted bits and the detail such as stoppages were revealed wherever you zoomed in rather that stopping at individual map area limits. There is such a map under "See our Network", which would be ideal to look at available routes, but stoppage details are not on that map.

It's looking like I'm just gonna have to flog through the listing or else just draw my limits by using the CRT pre and post Christmas colour code.

On 24/10/2017 at 14:27, Sea Dog said:

Reg, thanks. That's exactly the functionality I was looking for, but I was trying to get there through the stoppages section (as mross also suggested above). I didn't expect to find navigation stoppages under the 'events and activities' banner in the 'local to you' section. Mind you, whilst I have found the stoppages at the Hanbury 3, there doesn't appear to be any mention of the scheduled works on Tardebigge so I'm not sure how dependable this info source is to plan an entire cruise by.

I might be doing a George Bush Jr and 'misremembering', but I'm sure you used to be able to drag your way around the country (like you can - albeit detail free - by going beyond the locality you selected on that map), but the map had just blue waterways without the green and orange highlighted bits and the detail such as stoppages were revealed wherever you zoomed in rather that stopping at individual map area limits. There is such a map under "See our Network", which would be ideal to look at available routes, but stoppage details are not on that map.

It's looking like I'm just gonna have to flog through the listing or else just draw my limits by using the CRT pre and post Christmas colour code.

Have to agree goodish functionality but on the wrong map and in the wrong place. 

Could do with a standalone map with just the stoppages on and in the stoppages section. Would be a lot more useful as it's for a different audience to the events and activities audience. 

On 26/10/2017 at 14:08, reg said:

Have to agree goodish functionality but on the wrong map and in the wrong place. 

Could do with a standalone map with just the stoppages on and in the stoppages section. Would be a lot more useful as it's for a different audience to the events and activities audience. 

Thing is Reg, I could have sworn there was one! I'm sure I've used that before.

On 26/10/2017 at 14:18, reg said:

Looks like someone has had the same thought and has done something about it. 

https://silkenstitcher.maps.arcgis.com/apps/TimeAware/index.html?appid=72db080a41af4f899dd79d7b519cb5ae

I'm not sure if it is being updated with amendments as data was input manually. Could be a good resource if encouraged. Will keep an eye on it 

Now that's interesting!  There's an accuracy worry, but it's got real potential. Thanks for the link.