Hit and run

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'm not - it's definitely "forums". I'm reminded of a judge I one heard insist that the plural of "scenario" was "scenaria" but she may deliberately have been speaking facetiously.

According to the "Grammarist":

Fora and forums are plurals of forum. The former conforms to the original Latin, which some people prefer, while others like the Anglicized form. 

So both seem to be correct.

what a load of nit-picking.   ..................   as my dad used to say - when a dog is about to bite you, don't worry about the colour of the dog's eyes.

if that was my boat I would consider the damage to be horrendous.

let's face it - that plastic tub bears the scars of endless collisions or at least abrasions resulting from careless driving or careless mooring.  I feel great sympathy for anyone who encounters said bath-tub and is not able to avoid close proximity with him.  I am amazed that the boat name is so easily read.  I hope CRT checks out his licence, BSC and insurance details.  Let's face it, this guy should be excluded from all CRT and EA waters.  If he was driving on the road he would have been disqualified years ago.

• Greenie 2

7 hours ago, oats said:

Cant believe the attitude of some folk, why is it acceptable to bash into someone else's property and not stop to sort it out. Remember a lot of boats are peoples homes how would they feel if someone was to smash into their house or even car and just laugh it off  as oh 'it happens get a life'. Having had it done to us its not funny.

Probably taking Tim of Tim & Pru at his word "It's a contact sport" looking at the state of the plastic boats hull paintwork the owner thought there was no damage caused  no excuse for his actions though.

12 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

what a load of nit-picking.   ..................   as my dad used to say - when a dog is about to bite you, don't worry about the colour of the dog's eyes.

if that was my boat I would consider the damage to be horrendous.

let's face it - that plastic tub bears the scars of endless collisions or at least abrasions resulting from careless driving or careless mooring.  I feel great sympathy for anyone who encounters said bath-tub and is not able to avoid close proximity with him.  I am amazed that the boat name is so easily read.  I hope CRT checks out his licence, BSC and insurance details.  Let's face it, this guy should be excluded from all CRT and EA waters.  If he was driving on the road he would have been disqualified years ago.

He is licensed. So I presume insured.

no damage  you would be surprised the damage these plastic boats can do ...but those  of you who seem to think .the damage is minor .i would like to now how you would feel if it where your boat ...bla bla bla ..dont some people just p.ss you off well done for reporting 

17 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Depends on the speed of the hammer.

I think we have the info to work that out. Conserving momentum (probably not right as "bounce" back)

• momentum of pos = mass × velocity
  • = 3000 kg × 1.5 m/s
  • = 4,500 kg m/s

Rearrange the equation: velocity = momentum ÷ mass

• velocity of hammer = 4500 kg m/s ÷ 0.75 kg
  • = 6,000 m/s

Possibly over-egged the speed and weight of pos. Plus the bounce back.

I could be wrong.

Edited by mark99

34 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I think we have the info to work that out. Conserving momentum (probably not right as "bounce" back)

• momentum of pos = mass × velocity
  • = 3000 kg × 1.5 m/s
  • = 4,500 kg m/s

Rearrange the equation: velocity = momentum ÷ mass

• velocity of hammer = 4500 kg m/s ÷ 0.75 kg
  • = 6,000 m/s

Possibly over-egged the speed and weight of pos. Plus the bounce back.

I could be wrong.

If the first hit was at a certain velocity and momentum, would the following three be at a lesser rate than the previous one with the last being quite a gentle hit.

I'm not sure if having the accelerator on will make a difference or not. As after the first hit the momentum to build up speed is lost.

Or am I confusing myself as well as others?

Seemed logical in my head.

Eta. Still not a nice thing to happen and I hope the insurers deal with it.

Edited by thebfg

1 minute ago, rasputin said:

There seems to be a lot of anti-fiberglass posts on this thread, does it really need stating that it is a fiberglass boat every time it is mentioned, would the same be true if it was a beaten up metal boat?

In my innocence I just assumed the mention of materials was to underline/explain the differences in construction and the way different boats move under different conditions.   Obviously I was wrong and it is some obscure form of vendetta.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

In my innocence I just assumed the mention of materials was to underline/explain the differences in construction and the way different boats move under different conditions.   Obviously I was wrong and it is some obscure form of vendetta.

Sadly I think you are wrong.

1 hour ago, haza said:

no damage  you would be surprised the damage these plastic boats can do ...but those  of you who seem to think .the damage is minor .i would like to now how you would feel if it where your boat ...bla bla bla ..dont some people just p.ss you off well done for reporting 

If it was your boat I would say "Isn't that terrible".

If it was MY boat, I would hit the roof.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Athy said:

The epithet was "plastic pos" not "POS", and there was no indication that it was an abbreviation for anything. That being so, the context was not particularly illuminating. Most people, this one included, would infer that it was a type of boat.

Was I the only one who thought it was a typo for pot, as in yoghurt?

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I did not think that I would insult your intelligence by appending a yellow smiling face. I have, however, amended that post.

I am happy with "fora" or "forums". Perhaps I will find more information on the social mediums.

No need to amend. The comment was taken exactly as intended, as, I hope, was mine. As referendums seem to be de rigeur these days, perhaps we should have one on  Latinised plurals?  I'm sure the public will be just as well informed on the subject as they were in the last one.

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

According to the "Grammarist":

Fora and forums are plurals of forum. The former conforms to the original Latin, which some people prefer, while others like the Anglicized form. 

So both seem to be correct.

I think 'Anglicized' is the Americanised form!