Hit and run

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Cant believe the attitude of some folk, why is it acceptable to bash into someone else's property and not stop to sort it out. Remember a lot of boats are peoples homes how would they feel if someone was to smash into their house or even car and just laugh it off  as oh 'it happens get a life'. Having had it done to us its not funny.

Edited by Guest
Spelling

On 23/10/2017 at 10:23, Athy said:

Incisive brains are not always allied to dirty minds. I don't think that I would have guessed that meaning, no, but I am indebted to your knowledge of the malodorous recesses of the English language.

As a 'man of the world' and at your age, I'm surprised you have not yet encountered the term. Feel free to ask me about any other terms that puzzle you, or look them up here: https://www.urbandictionary.com/ I've learned loads on there!

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As a 'man of the world' and at your age, I'm surprised you have not yet encountered the term. Feel free to ask me about any other terms that puzzle you, or look them up here: https://www.urbandictionary.com/ I've learned loads on there!

I guess we could all look lots of things up on t'internet but that would somewhat diminish the scope of conversations on fora such as this one. No, I had not encountered it and I suspect that the poster probably invented it (which is good - Shakespeare made up new words on many occasions).

have, I think, met "pos" as an abbreviation for "position". It may be an Australian usage, pronounced "poz", and sometimes extended to "possy" of "pozzy". I've heard it used to refer to positions of players on a cricket field. I think I'll stick to using it in that context.

Edited by Athy

On 23/10/2017 at 10:46, Athy said:

I guess we could all look lots of things up on t'internet but that would somewhat diminish the scope of conversations on fora such as this one. No, I had not encountered it and I suspect that the poster probably invented it (which is good - Shakespeare made up new words on many occasions).

have, I think, met "pos" as an abbreviation for "position". It may be an Australian usage, pronounced "poz", and sometimes extended to "possy" of "pozzy". I've heard it used to refer to positions of players on a cricket field. I think I'll stick to using it in that context.

In which case bear in mind people with baser minds than yours might take you to be meaning "pile of shit", when you actually mean "position" when discussing cricket. I strongly suggest you peruse the Urban Dictionary in depth to learn all the other ways in which you could be misunderstood. It is most enlightening and a jolly good read. Just don't look up "space docking" there, ok?

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

In which case bear in mind people with baser minds than yours might take you to be meaning "pile of shit", when you actually mean "position" when discussing cricket. I strongly suggest you peruse the Urban Dictionary in depth to learn all the other ways in which you could be misunderstood. It is most enlightening and a jolly good read. Just don't look up "space docking" there, ok?

I am quite capable of being misunderstood all on my ownsome, Mr. Boiler, I have been practising for many years. I was especially successful with my first wife. No, I shall not look that term up, thank you for the warning.

10 minutes ago, StephenA said:

I'm surprised that a Fibreglass cruiser could do that to metal window frames without breaking the glass....

Try looking up "momentum" and "inertia"?

Try hitting an aluminium window frame with a hammer?

It occurs to me to wonder whether the blogger or the later arrival asked the rogue boater in so many words "do you want a hand", and if they did, whether they should have taken the response at face value. I suggest that even a monoglot French speaker would have been able to understand an offer of assistance, and when it was declined or ignored, the would-be helper could just have said "please yourself". There's a fine line between friendly assistance and unwanted intrusion. 

I may be using the benefit of hindsight, but was the towing boat perhaps at least partly responsible for the multiple collisions? 

So far worse than president hitting our butty in 1985 knocking up a plank and leaving it drifting then ...and us being informed by other boaters that the only boat through that day being them. Course they denied it. I came home from work and had to pump her out and caulk the board end from inside. Only didn't sink due to auto pumps

2 hours ago, StephenA said:

Yes - the glass broke.......

I'm fully aware of inertia and momentum thank you....

I bet it wouldn't invariably do so, especially if the frame was firmly screwed to a steel cabin side.

Apologies if I seemed to be talking down to you in my previous post.  I thinking about how much momentum a "light" tupperware boat would have at 3-4 mph and how that would have been transferred to the side of the moored narrowboat. 

Edited by Machpoint005

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

I bet it wouldn't invariably do so, especially if the frame was firmly screwed to a steel cabin side.

Apologies if I seemed to be talking down to you in my previous post.  I thinking about how much momentum a "light" tupperware boat would have at 3-4 mph and how that would have been transferred to the side of the moored narrowboat. 

Its quite a deep sharp dent - looking at the photo closely it looks like the windows themselves might be recessed a bit in the frame, so its allowed the frame to get a deep dent in it without the window breaking.

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I am personally amazed you didn't know what POS was, given the context.

We all have our amazing moments. I am equally amazed that you did know (assuming that your post was addressed to me, which you did not make clear).

The epithet was "plastic pos" not "POS", and there was no indication that it was an abbreviation for anything. That being so, the context was not particularly illuminating. Most people, this one included, would infer that it was a type of boat.

Anyway, it is always good to extend one's vocabulary, even if in this instance it will remain passive.

Edited by Athy

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I am personally amazed you didn't know what POS was, given the context.

I'm with Athy here.  I did eventually work out what it was, but only when Mike gave an alternative version.  Not being capitalised threw me.  Now that the thread has been totally derailed, can I object to Athy's use of 'fora' as the plural of 'forum' ?

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I'm with Athy here.  I did eventually work out what it was, but only when Mike gave an alternative version.  Not being capitalised threw me.  Now that the thread has been totally derailed, can I object to Athy's use of 'fora' as the plural of 'forum' ?

Certainly.

Edited by Athy

13 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Blatant misuse of power!  See OED and home page of CWDF.

I did not think that I would insult your intelligence by appending a yellow smiling face. I have, however, amended that post.

I am happy with "fora" or "forums". Perhaps I will find more information on the social mediums.

Edited by Athy

5 hours ago, oats said:

Cant believe the attitude of some folk, why is it acceptable to bash into someone else's property and not stop to sort it out. Remember a lot of boats are peoples homes how would they feel if someone was to smash into their house or even car and just laugh it off  as oh 'it happens get a life'. Having had it done to us its not funny.

Indeed. If it had been a car on the road rather than a boat on the water, a criminal case would probably ensue.

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

the area of impact is an area  6 cm

That's a length, not an area. You are a dimension short.

I would think the contact area was a matter of a few square mm, not square cm.

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

I did not think that I would insult your intelligence by appending a yellow smiling face. I have, however, amended that post.

I am happy with "fora" or "forums". Perhaps I will find more information on the social mediums.

I'm not - it's definitely "forums". I'm reminded of a judge I one heard insist that the plural of "scenario" was "scenaria" but she may deliberately have been speaking facetiously.

6 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'm not - it's definitely "forums". I'm reminded of a judge I one heard insist that the plural of "scenario" was "scenaria" but she may deliberately have been speaking facetiously.

Or Italianly?

38 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

That's a length, not an area. You are a dimension short.

I would think the contact area was a matter of a few square mm, not square cm. 

That is because I can't do a square sign. I thought for that bow about 2X3 cm, bit probably just a point to start with