KUS digital ammeter wiring diagram/instructions.

Tony Brooks

Featured Posts

The above 52mm digital ammeter complete with 150 amp shunt seems a very good buy on Amazon but I have bee unable to locate a definitive wiring diagram.

Kus them selves do not seem to have a website, only a page on Alibabba.

A company called Wema seems to supply what looks like a rebadged version for over twice as much and their diagram suggests the shunt has to be fitted in the positive  side.

The "shunt" seems to include a "magic box" with extra terminals on it and without knowing for sure what is inside the box I am not so happy with fitting it in the positive lead becaause of the danger of shorts on the instrument wiring. Hence my quest for a diagram so I can see if it can go in the negative side.

A question on Amazon produced the answer - its in the box. Not a lot of use when trying to decide if its fit for purpose.

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Well, they do appear to have one but it’s less than useless. They have a phone number on it if you fancy calling China, or you could email them on info@kusauto.com

http://www.kusauto.com/en/productdetails.aspx?tid=79&id=532

How would a shunt 'know' whether it was in the negative or the positive side?  Isn't it worth just trying it?  Especially if you mount it in an open metal box, just in case of a 'meltdown'.

How many wires run from shunt to meter?

Is it this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/KUS-Waterproof-Digital-Ammeter-Current/dp/B0746G3RJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508667755&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+ammeter+150a

Description says it has a moving magnet!!  

Edited by mross

2 minutes ago, mross said:

How would a shunt 'know' whether it was in the negative or the positive side?  Isn't it worth just trying it?  Especially if you mount it in an open metal box, just in case of a 'meltdown'.

The shunt wouldn’t know but the ammeter might get upset at receiving 12V+ when it is expecting a few millivolts. 

1 hour ago, mross said:

Is it this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/KUS-Waterproof-Digital-Ammeter-Current/dp/B0746G3RJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508667755&sr=8-1&keywords=digital+ammeter+150a

Description says it has a moving magnet!!  

I think this is a 'good' example of lazy cut and paste as the moving magnet is a poor translation for stepper motor if you have the analogue pointer version.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

The above 52mm digital ammeter complete with 150 amp shunt seems a very good buy on Amazon but I have bee unable to locate a definitive wiring diagram.

A company called Wema seems to supply what looks like a rebadged version for over twice as much and their diagram suggests the shunt has to be fitted in the positive  side.

The "shunt" seems to include a "magic box" with extra terminals on it and without knowing for sure what is inside the box I am not so happy with fitting it in the positive lead becaause of the danger of shorts on the instrument wiring. Hence my quest for a diagram so I can see if it can go in the negative side.

A question on Amazon produced the answer - its in the box. Not a lot of use when trying to decide if its fit for purpose.

Thanks

Tony

I've sent you a screen grab on the wiring diagram taken from the installation video.

Steve

Thanks to Steve. This confirms it is the same as the Wema unit.

Mross. As its a digital meter that part of the description makes seven less sense, Its just slipshod data presentation. As far s trying it to see I understand that sone of these shunts plus box have electronics inside the box, possibly a DC to DC converter so the thing can be fed from the same battery as that being measured so I would not like to try reversing the polarity.

I suppose I now have to decide how inaccurate fitting a fuse into the small positive lead is going to make the reading.

Maybe

11 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Maybe it uses a hall effect sensor so the big terminals on the current sensor are galvanically isolated from the smaller terminals - a multimeter on 'diode check' may confirm.

Edited by smileypete

7 minutes ago, smileypete said:

a multimeter on 'diode check' may confirm.

But Tony was attempting to determine where/how it can be connected prior to buying one. 

The fact that they keep referring to the ‘shunt’ as a ‘current pick-up unit’ does suggest to me that it’s a Hall Effect sensor but again you’d have to buy one first to know. 

Some discussion of it here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/wema-am-mater-installation-problem-160323.html

With 0..5V output to the meter from the sensor that definitely sounds like a hall sensor to me.

Wema appear to have a UK prescence, maybe they can confirm.

https://wema.co.uk/collections/gauges-1

Assuming the KUS one is identical, but it appears to be so.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mross said:

TB.  Can you return it?  It seems not worth fitting.  

No - because I have not bought it yet, that's why I wanted more technical information.  Even if I had bought it sending it back would probably have involved posting it back to the Far East at my expense.

As with all online sales its very much "let the buyer beware" and the site owner seem to have no responsibility to ensure the descriptions are full and adequate. It was the vendor who replied to my question abut the product to say the instructions were in the box - so basically "buy it and find out, we are not providing the information".

As the leisure batteries have lasted four years now I think I will stick with my analogue "lab" style ammeter although for the first few minutes most days its at FSD..

Mross: I know but I need a 52mm/2" diameter one and also digital. Not so many of those about at around the £50 mark.

croftie - yes, look at the price difference. At their price its getting on for sensible to buy a known marine make, not an imported Far Eastern thing of unknown quality - or accuracy.

Edited by Tony Brooks