The naughty Peel Group

Liam

Featured Posts

I've had this sent to me via Facebook, and although not directly connected to the canal, with the publicity over the Bridgewater Canal recently I thought it may be of interest. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-biggest-company-youve-never-heard-of-lifting-the-lid-on-peel-group-the-property-firm-owned-by-8890201.html

6 hours ago, JamesFrance said:

Companies pay whatever tax they are required to pay under laws created by politicians.   No business pays more than it has to.

Oh really ?

And here's me thinking that politicians are just the vacuous gobshites that sign whatever the Civil Servants tell them to sign; take the credit if the Media like it; and the blame, if they don't.

Surely all businesses with large legal departments pay the least they can get away with.

1 hour ago, DRP said:

Oh really ?

And here's me thinking that politicians are just the vacuous gobshites that sign whatever the Civil Servants tell them to sign; take the credit if the Media like it; and the blame, if they don't.

Surely all businesses with large legal departments pay the least they can get away with.

Within the law. don't we all in our small way.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Within the law. don't we all in our small way.

I think DRP missed the point of JamesFrance's post. They seem to be making the same point.

I think you are right that we all pay what is due; and what is due is at the discretion of politicians so it does grate when they complain about individuals and companies paying less than they think fair.

However I suspect individuals and companies may set about specific tax avoidance mechanisms with varying levels of aggression. For that reason I think what is 'due' isn't necessarily a simple concept.

JP

7 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think DRP missed the point of JamesFrance's post. They seem to be making the same point.

I think you are right that we all pay what is due; and what is due is at the discretion of politicians so it does grate when they complain about individuals and companies paying less than they think fair.

However I suspect individuals and companies may set about specific tax avoidance mechanisms with varying levels of aggression. For that reason I think what is 'due' isn't necessarily a simple concept.

JP

Tax managers/finance directors of large companies are besieged by people offering to sell them various "tax mitigation" products.

It is not unusual for the charge for these products to be based on the tax "saved" by their use.

These products are designed to exploit "loopholes" inadvertently created by legislative changes and are certainly towards the 'complicated' end of the spectrum!

Edited by frahkn

• 2 weeks later...

I know the games and underhanded tactics can't go on forever but it would be brilliant if both Salford and Trafford councils both announced that no more planning applications would even be considered never mind approved until Peel took responsiblity solidity for their own bridge.