Anyone stayed at Coventry Basin?

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

Am looking to moor somewhere in Coventry, as am currently working there. Is Coventry basin:-

safe?

noisy?

friendly?

has elec/water?

Alternatives are:-

Lapworth (Navigation to Junction) and no, I have no idea what or where this is!

Longford

Black Boy (Knowle)

Any info much appreciated.

Just now, Springer Skipper said:

Swan Lane Wharf it was,my daughter lived on our springer there for two years, good but basic behind locked gates.Try looking up John Twelvetree,he was the manager there and maybe still lives there. 

This gent may be able to help there as well: https://www.facebook.com/keith.ward.338

Or try phoning David Moore of Valley Cruisers: http://www.valleycruises.co.uk/

Edited by Ray T

34 minutes ago, Springer Skipper said:

Swan Lane Wharf it was,my daughter lived on our springer there for two years, good but basic behind locked gates.Try looking up John Twelvetree,he was the manager there and maybe still lives there. 

The manager is now Keith Ward

Richard

1 hour ago, OliveOyl said:

Don't know, I just had a search in the Coventry area earlier, and they all seem very basic :mellow:

Yes, you'll get a bit of canal bank alongside Leicester Row outside the basin - that's it

Richard

Oh dear, I don't fancy that!

I can't find a phone number or any contact details for Swan Lane Wharf, and I'm not on facebook. I guess the only thing I can do, is drive down there.

If anyone has any contact details, I would be very grateful as I live in Staffs.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Is this link any help http://www.narrowboats.org/canal-service/1510/swan+lane+wharf+-+clubline

Phone 02476 258864

Thank you Ditch, I'll try ringing tomoro. (It doesn't say moorings on the list tho???)

2 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Club Line are no longer there.

Try 02476308244
coventrian@covsf.com

The trip boat operates out of there, and I have a sneeky feeling it's the same Trust.

If not they'll be able to advise who to talk to.

Thanks Zena, I'll ring tomoro.

50 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Club Line are no longer there.

Try 02476308244
coventrian@covsf.com

The trip boat operates out of there, and I have a sneeky feeling it's the same Trust.

If not they'll be able to advise who to talk to.

I thought that was the case with Club, but possibly the company name was still in use.

We stayed there a couple of years back, in the basin, but just as visitors for a couple of days, not longer term. The canal down from Hawkesbury is very "urban" and we got blue rope and carrier bags around the prop, but the basin is much more secure and pleasant, and surprisingly quiet. I didn't feel worried mooring there, or leaving the boat. There is a footbridge across the ring road direct into the city centre. I think there is water but I don't think electricity - it is only intended as a short term visitor mooring.

I seem to have a feeling that a trust that has somethig to do with regeneration of deprived areas has something to do with the lease of the Swan Lane Wharf basin.Tony ????Gulliford??? also used the paintbooth he went bust a few times and now does boat stretching somewhere in Nuneaton.Sorry but my memory is abit hazy.We had our boat right inside the basin

Edited by Springer Skipper
clarifying

If you go onto the CRT web licensing site and log in (or register), you can do a search for winter moorings within a certain distance of Coventry. Perhaps you have already done so, but the one that caught my eye was Tusses Bridge, 4, on the Oxford near Hawksbury. It's in the lowest price band, too - much cheaper than outside Coventry basin. For some reason it has been left off the page of mooring maps, which normally show exactly where the designated stretch of mooring is.  The one outside Coventry basin already has a booking, so you probably wouldn't be alone.

HTH

I think perhaps I have misunderstood what a 'winter mooring' is - none of the ones I have looked at have electricity, elsan and most don't even have water!

I had hoped to ease my commuting by perhaps staying over on my boat for one or two nights a week, but if I'm going to be 'up the cut on my ownsome', with no power/water/or anything else, then I am rapidly going off the idea :huh::huh:.

Anyone got any suggestions?

13 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

I think perhaps I have misunderstood what a 'winter mooring' is - none of the ones I have looked at have electricity, elsan and most don't even have water!

I had hoped to ease my commuting by perhaps staying over on my boat for one or two nights a week, but if I'm going to be 'up the cut on my ownsome', with no power/water/or anything else, then I am rapidly going off the idea :huh::huh:.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Not sure many if any CRT winter mooring have electricity. I thought that even in Llangollen where the visitor moorings have electricity, it was switched off in winter.  In Cov basin I think there is water, there is certainly elsan

Really what you want is a marina?

Edited by john6767