Electrical problem

embis

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, embis said:

Thanks all. I have an electrician coming down to look at it in the week. Will report back back to you once they are done with it. 

If you are still on the boat, running the engine tomorrow could well help matters even if its only 4 hrs. You may as well turn off the fridge as it will be shutting down on low volts any minute know unless its a 3 way one running on 12 volts

Schoolboy error!

....Well I started this thread by saying I knew less about boat electrics than I might... I know more now!

I had understood our batteries to have been sealed units, they arent. So for the last year they haven't had the levels checked and of course were virtually empty.

Anyway, 3 Litres of distilled water later and a good long charge and they are back up to 14V. Everything is now turned off, including the battery charger so this time next week I will know if we will need a new battery bank or not.

Many thanks to all who contributed towards trying to solve the problem.

As an end note:

Checked the batteries yesterday after more than a week disconnected from the shoreline, they seem to have held charge well so hopefully, if I now look after them properly, I might get a bit more use out of them. Some valuable lessons learned though!

..and thanks again to everyone who chipped in with something helpful.