Porthole holders

Seaman Sam

Featured Posts

Drilling out the screw should not effect the clamping block provided you go carefully and don't oversize drill the clearance hole in the block. Once you have drilled out the screw all you need do is drill and tap a fresh hole by spotting through the now free block a little way from the fubar hole

Phil

31 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I would use molegrips. They will allow you to apply much more torque to the screw.

After soaking it overnight with PlusGas or similar penetrating fluid. And maybe a bit of heat from a blowtorch. 

Gents

thanks for the advice. As you probably realise the photo shows a good block and screw. The problem one is a mess since I tried the mole grips and also tried to cut in a new slot to take a flat head screw driver. Phil, I'm not sure there's room to drill a second hole next to the original, but will give it a go.

thanks again

Sam

3 minutes ago, Seaman Sam said:

Gents

thanks for the advice. As you probably realise the photo shows a good block and screw. The problem one is a mess since I tried the mole grips and also tried to cut in a new slot to take a flat head screw driver. Phil, I'm not sure there's room to drill a second hole next to the original, but will give it a go.

thanks again

Sam

As previously mentioned get yourself a screw extraction kit.  They basically work as they have a reverse thread that tries to drill in to the screw head as you remove it.