New fenders - source?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

We bought a new front fender last year from a chap on a boat at Gt Haywood Jn. It’s really well made and wasn’t expensive. I’d buy from him again but no idea who it was. The rear ones (two whatsits and a Top Cat thingy) are really tatty. Jeff has just received a large cheque from his recently deceased grandad and is determined to blow some of it on something exciting, frivolous and luxurious - in other words he intends to get new rear fenders for our boat!

We are just setting off from Fazeley tomorrow, Brum on Sunday and Monday then heading ooop north, probably Shroppie to Ellesmere Port (never been beyond Chriselton before) for 2 weeks. Any suggestions for a place to get quality fenders at a Scottish price?

I use go-kart tyres but then I am frequently on a 100ft wide canal where there's boats weighing in excess of 80 tonnes. With the colour of my boat, I think I can just about get away with it without making the boat look ugly. Low cost and effective. 

6 minutes ago, RichM said:

I use go-kart tyres but then I am frequently on a 100ft wide canal where there's boats weighing in excess of 80 tonnes. With the colour of my boat, I think I can just about get away with it without making the boat look ugly. Low cost and effective. 

So do I, I 'Fenderise' them with rope half hitched all over them, They do make good fenders but maybe not for side fenders. Good winter project for bow and stern fenders but there's a hell of a lot of rope in a fender so you cannot save much.

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

We bought a new front fender last year from a chap on a boat at Gt Haywood Jn. It’s really well made and wasn’t expensive.

Almost certainly Chris Shenton. He made me a nice bow fender with a tyre over it for REGINALD far an unfeasibly small sum of money. I'll PM you his number. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Almost certainly Chris Shenton. He made me a nice bow fender with a tyre over it for REGINALD far an unfeasibly small sum of money. I'll PM you his number. 

Chris is local as he moors at Great Haywood but he doesn't sell from his boat. He may have some in stock as he was making them recently at the Roundhouse. I've put an order in with him for a new bow fender but going to wait until after the winter.

Could never afford but always wanted to buy from the guy in Wales who makes fenders. Did I read somewhere that he is now in Braunston? 

Edit to add that he's in Glascote Basin not Braunston. I'm sure he's the same chap. His fenders always looked good quality. Fendermaker.co.uk

Edited by Nightwatch

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Chris is local as he moors at Great Haywood but he doesn't sell from his boat. He may have some in stock as he was making them recently at the Roundhouse. I've put an order in with him for a new bow fender but going to wait until after the winter.

That's puzzling then. 

I still recommend his fenders.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's puzzling then. 

I still recommend his fenders.

Yes his fenders are well made, having watched him making them for two days. He has a nice new one he has just made on the bow of the Dubhe.

19 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Could never afford but always wanted to buy from the guy in Wales who makes fenders. Did I read somewhere that he is now in Braunston? 

Edit to add that he's in Glascote Basin not Braunston. I'm sure he's the same chap. His fenders always looked good quality. Fendermaker.co.uk

I think Eric has retired and passed the name on to Phil at Glascote.

12 hours ago, Loddon said:

I think Eric has retired and passed the name on to Phil at Glascote.

I had new front (with a tyre over it) and rear (2 buttons and a tip cat) made and fitted at Glascote earlier this year.

Very pleased, they look good and were cheaper than buying from a Chandler.

Time will tell how well they last.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

Fender Quality is dependent on the cores construct ion if the core is a solid "lump" coiled rope, old tyre, or any thing that regain it's shape for the longest period of time Glad to read folk are having section of tyre fitted to the outside of fender  a few days soaking in "creasote " when new before fitting will prelong their lifespan smaller diameter rope & tighter " knitting" also is an advantage