The marina that never was....

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

The Rothen Group, who do canal works, are based about 200 yards from this site - coincidence?

ahhh so maybe a private marina to put the boats they hire out to crt?

Some more pennies drop in my head...

The boat from this thread is owned by Rothen,  which was moored a little further up towards atherstone, also it was moored at atherstone top lock some years ago, and rothen also use to own/run the yard there!

Edited by Dave Payne

And another marina that never was... Hawkesbury marina.

http://apps.nuneatonandbedworth.gov.uk/BT_NBBC_Planning/planning/documents/2012-03-23 P031405-42 Design and Access Statement.pdf

I actually never knew there was golf course there and i have been past it a lot, ok its not a golf course anymore, more of a dog walking field.

Seems a decent place for a marina.

6 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Your link just takes you to Bing's opening page.

I know. It doesn't seem to work like google maps, but I find it useful for the Ordnance Survey view and Bird's Eye is better for picking out detail than the direct overhead. I never see it mentioned here (probably because of the lack of direct linking) so thought I would post it any way.

1 hour ago, MJG said:

And another, Stainforth on the S&K Canal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-11531714

http://www.waystone.co.uk/UK-Sites/Stainforth/Master-Plan-Stainforth

But then I never really understand where the demand was going to come from up there.

Be interesting to keep an eye on, the Stainforth development is currently underway. They have obviously started with the houses, but there is a sign on the barge opposite with a number to ring for moorings at the new Stainforth Marina.

Kevin

2 hours ago, MaggieMay said:

I know. It doesn't seem to work like google maps, but I find it useful for the Ordnance Survey view and Bird's Eye is better for picking out detail than the direct overhead. I never see it mentioned here (probably because of the lack of direct linking) so thought I would post it any way.

Along the top of the page there is a group of icons. One is called "Share", if you click on that it gives you a link you can "cut and paste".

2 hours ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Be interesting to keep an eye on, the Stainforth development is currently underway. They have obviously started with the houses, but there is a sign on the barge opposite with a number to ring for moorings at the new Stainforth Marina.

Kevin

Cheers, I still don't know where they are going to get the boaters from though. It's hardly the busiest waterway/area and AFAIK things haven't changed since we used to boat along that stretch.

I hope it does succeed though, its a nice spot.

25 minutes ago, MJG said:

Cheers, I still don't know where they are going to get the boaters from though. It's hardly the busiest waterway/area and AFAIK things haven't changed since we used to boat along that stretch.

I hope it does succeed though, its a nice spot.

Same here, being based in Thorne, there are many days when I go out and never see another boat moving. Being cynical, I do wonder if the housing development will get built, but then the developers run out of cash and can't afford to build the marina!! Watch this space in the next couple of years.

Kevin

I saw a large rectangular basin dug out on the southern Stratford too a couple of months ago, which looks for all the world as though originally intended for moorings. 

No pontoons, boats or anything in it though. Just an empty basin. This one is actually connected to the cut yet unused. I'll seef I can find it on googlemaps later... 

36 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I saw a large rectangular basin dug out on the southern Stratford too a couple of months ago, which looks for all the world as though originally intended for moorings. 

No pontoons, boats or anything in it though. Just an empty basin. This one is actually connected to the cut yet unused. I'll seef I can find it on googlemaps later... 

Was that Hill Farm marina (http://www.hillfarmmarina.co.uk/new-marina-stratford-upon-avon)...?

45 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

No definitely not that one. Passed that as well and the basin I mean was clearly several years old from the surrounding greenery, and was a few miles away from Hill Farm Marina.

I mis-described it slightly. When I said it was empty I meant full of water, but no boats.  

And about 1/4 the size of Hill Farm Marina.

7 hours ago, MaggieMay said:

Just write Mancetter in the box and then you can move about, zoom birdseye ect. Coventry canal and Quarry lane are there, and the farms.

16 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Often wonder about this place when i pass, would think someone at some time was hoping to open a marina, but then the shape is not very fitting, so maybe it was a fishing pond...

Never see anyone in there fishing when i pass though.

Any ideas?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5589571,-1.530712,414m/data=!3m1!1e3

If it's the one by mancetter Barry Hawkins owns it.Del from the boat yard dug it out he used to own it.Its his boat you can see in pic