Springwood haven marina FS

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Just spotted this, a lovely little marina that i would love to own and run, maybe my numbers will come up on the euros tonight!!

https://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/marina-workshop-servicing-and-retail-business-for-sale.aspx

Appears to be the workshop etc., not the actual marina for sale.

George

This why the current generation should not be allowed to retire early, unlike my generation where it is entirely justified, they have served me well over the years and always kept a good shop. I wish them well in their retirement and would like to thank them for the good service i have received over the years. 

eta

Found this for further clarification

"...Springwood Haven Leisure Ltd is the profitable retail, repair and servicing business of Springwood Haven Marina, Nuneaton. It includes Onboard Energy, a leading distributor of off-grid energy solutions......."

So price is not for the marina, which is what i thought

Edited by reg

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I don't think the advert makes it particularly clear. £600k doesn't seem enough if the marina is included.

I thought related to the turnover & the asking price was on application to the seller or his agent

3 hours ago, Dave Payne said:

Guess they are taking that big barge over to france after all!

Yup :)

Their plan finally comes to fruition. 

They sold the hire operation some years ago so looks like they’re doing nicely. 

Read the brochure and you'll be even more confused - from the point of view of practicality -

the moorings seem to have their own pumpout - but what happens when it's full? Do the moorers come to the facilities and expect to use their facilities for free? It's not a showstopper - but a helluva lot of due diligence is needed as there could be some conflict of responsibilities. Would need a b.good solicitor to tie down what's what.

It's a fab location with possibilities but hampered by being only a part of what needs to be a single enterprise.

The moorings are profitable, but the facilities - not...

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Oh, I don't know...

Richard

Indeed ☺

There are many marinas with yards and separate tunnels etc. It works well when people work together, and can get uncomfortable  when they don't. 

Pump outs, you will probably find the moorers get discounted or free pump outs from a single point, although some marinas have a suction hole on every pontoon.!!!!

Tis a nice place however, probably not quite a large enough marina for the workshop to exist on its own, especially after Valley Cruisers moves elsewhere. Boot Wharf,  Alvecote , barry Hawkins yard and charity dock are on the same stretch without even heading up the Ashby.

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Read the brochure and you'll be even more confused - from the point of view of practicality -

the moorings seem to have their own pumpout - but what happens when it's full? Do the moorers come to the facilities and expect to use their facilities for free? It's not a showstopper - but a helluva lot of due diligence is needed as there could be some conflict of responsibilities. Would need a b.good solicitor to tie down what's what.

It's a fab location with possibilities but hampered by being only a part of what needs to be a single enterprise.

I hear often that marina owners make good money from moorings. What I struggle with is how? I think Springhaven has around 60 moorings? So I guess 200k a year in fees.  What am I missing? 

Ian.

On 20/10/2017 at 19:28, OldGoat said:

But you’re not just buying the ‘facilities’. You’re also buying Onboard Energy. There is a waiting list for the slip and the wet docks, loads of opportunity to expand the chandlery side, potential to set up your own hire fleet...

Certainly, thrashing out the legal side of things won’t be quick or cheap, but it’s a potential good earner for the right person. 

If they are retiring (surprising, as they aren't old and seem to love their work), I wish Kay and Wag well - they have built that place up from a hole in the ground into a good full-service marina over the years. We moored our previous boat there for several years, and Mrs. Athy still says it's the best mooring we have ever had. We last saw them in autumn 2016 when we had Trojan's engine serviced there, the big "Dutch" barge looked to be in an advanced stage of completion but they did not mention any plans to sell the marina or part of it.

I wonder how they will get the barge down South?

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

Truck. That was always their plan. In fact I suspect the next time it sees water will be in France. Did you get to see inside? It was gorgeous. 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

If they are retiring (surprising, as they aren't old and seem to love their work), I wish Kay and Wag well - they have built that place up from a hole in the ground into a good full-service marina over the years. We moored our previous boat there for several years, and Mrs. Athy still says it's the best mooring we have ever had. We last saw them in autumn 2016 when we had Trojan's engine serviced there, the big "Dutch" barge looked to be in an advanced stage of completion but they did not mention any plans to sell the marina or part of it.

Isn't retiring before your old a good plan? It's what we did. We want to enjoy boating and motorbiking whilst we still can. Tis a lovely spot they have made there. I wish them well.

Ian.