vetus batteries

wullie

Featured Posts

On 10/20/2017 at 09:52, wullie said:

Anyone use vetus batteries, looking for some feedback.

Looks like resounding 'no' then!

You mighrt get a bit more help if you were a bit more forthcoming with what sort of info you wanted. Do you own some that have died perhaps? Or are you wondering why they are so expensive but are still considering buying some? Or what?

30 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Why would anyone knowingly inveigle themselves with Vetus once they know the price implications across a whole range of equipment and spares?

99.999% sure they will only be re-badged as Vetus.

The OP might be thinking really expensive batteries must therefore be really good, and is seeking confirmation...

But until he says, we are all left guessing. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The OP might be thinking really expensive batteries must therefore be really good, and is seeking confirmation...

But until he says, we are all left guessing. 

59 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I didn't know Vetus sold batteries.  Are they gold plated like the rest of their stuff?   Like everything else Vetus, you can probably get an equivalent for 1/4 of the price.  

I was looking at replacing 2 of my batteries (you may recall the CO alarm thread where the shorting cell set off the alarm)

Type 625 batteries (rated 200-210-230Ah depending on make/supplier)

One source quoted the battery weight at 32 kgs, another source quoted the weight at 57 kgs.

Whilst Vetus batteries may have the same high mark-up as their other parts, there are certainly differences to be had in batteries and some investigation is needed before purchase.

To me, battery 'quality' is to a great extent determined by weight - more lead is good !!

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I didn't know Vetus sold batteries.  Are they gold plated like the rest of their stuff?   Like everything else Vetus, you can probably get an equivalent for 1/4 of the price.  

If you think Vetus are bad try Volvo Penta!

On 10/20/2017 at 09:52, wullie said:

Anyone use vetus batteries, looking for some feedback.

I had some last year.  Despite the Vetus badging, actual price was not too bad for 110AHr batteries (ignore the prices on the Vetus website!),  four for £270.

The supplier reckoned he got through a pallet in a couple of weeks so they were fresh. Voltage was 12.64.  However I can't say I am that impressed by them.   They don't seem to have the capacity I would expect. Having said that they are no worse than other batteries I have bought, but I have had better.  I did get them for a reasonable price for standard 110AHr batteries, but will go back to buying from a reputable dealer online next time and hope for the best.

Interestingly for sealed batteries, they label gives a charging voltage of 14.2 - 14.8 volts.   I have previously been charging them off an alternator regulated at 14.4V.  I have just swapped over to another alternator with a Sterling digital regulator which charges at 14.8V during the bulk and absorption phase,  but as it is done by a timer (which allegedly works out how long by how low it thinks the batteries are), it always goes into float after 60 minutes.  So although I gain at the start of the charging, I lose out after an hour when it drops to 14.0V float (unless I restart the engine).

ETA: I should have summed this up as: they are ok, but I don't think they are any better or worse than run-of-the-mill 110AHr batteries (unless you really really want grey batteries).  Probably more to do with how long they have sat on a shelf.

Edited by dor