Fire Brick Advice Please

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

Half a fire brick fell out of my Boatman stove today. When I had a nose around inside it I noticed several others are cracked too. They're quite big heavy bricks and I don't live near enough to Northern Fabrications to get the exact same ones again. Does anyone know if there's a place that sells fire bricks that can be cut to size anywhere near Atherstone / Tamworth / Nuneaton / Coventry?

Thanks 

:)

If its the side bricks, I use ordinary Fletton house bricks in my Boatman, two each side on edge. They reduces the the grate area and save a lot of coal, but it won't be quite so hot obviousely. I don't like it too hot anyway.

Edited by bizzard

During WW2 I was dispatched to my Great gandads/ma's  as they lived way out in the sticks & we lived near to derby & the Luftwaffe were trying to bomb the Rolls Royce factory' s in the winter bicks were put in the oven & heated by the fire just before  bed time the bricks were taken from the oven wrapped in a pieces of old  blanket & 2/3put into the bed at shoulder hip & foot pos ition 1/2 hr later the bricks were taken out 1 i hopped into a nice warm bed, they also had a glazed terra cotta loaf shaped container filled with sand that was heated in the oven.

14 hours ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Half a fire brick fell out of my Boatman stove today. When I had a nose around inside it I noticed several others are cracked too. They're quite big heavy bricks and I don't live near enough to Northern Fabrications to get the exact same ones again. Does anyone know if there's a place that sells fire bricks that can be cut to size anywhere near Atherstone / Tamworth / Nuneaton / Coventry?

Thanks 

:)

There is a stove shop up at Hoar park, about 20 minute drive from Monkeys mooring if you are there.

http://www.hoar-park.co.uk/

http://www.thewoodburnercompany.co.uk/

Or central stoves down in Nuneaton.

http://www.centralstoves.co.uk/

Not sure if i have ever seen one in Atherstone, but Tamworth would be wroth a google.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, bastion said:

This has been said before but I can never find it. What dept is it in?

Perhaps only certain branches stock it?

I haven't looked for it for a few years but last time I needed some the branch in Castleford (where we were moored at the time) had some.

Thanks everyone. I remember seeing fire brick in a Wilko's somewhere once but they were very different size, weight and depth to what I have in my stove. Much thinner, smaller and lighter. I don't know if that matters. 

Will check out Midland Swindlers too. Thanks again. :)