ouch

WhiteSuit

Featured Posts

Yes it was on towpath steps and I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer. After many years of cruising in all weathers I thought I had good footwear which worked well in bad conditions with no problem in the previous year. This is the only time I've come such a pearler hence my question about these steps. 

I obviously needed a pair of Bizzards boots 

28 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Railway engine wheel anti slip sanding method could be adopted. Just always keep nice dry sand in your pocket or in a salt seller and sprinkle it ahead of you.

we used to have a salt seller come down our street calling 'salt foresail, salt foresail, by my wears' but I haven't seen him for a while.

where did you find yours?

Many steps at locks are slippy when wet. Sandon Lock on the T&M has a cobbled slope under its bridge,which can be treacherous in wet weather. 

Sorry to hear of your injury, I have dislocated my shoulder once and know how painful it is. Have a speedy recovery. 

Kudos to the OP for posting. A good reminder.

We tend not to go boating when it rains for that very reason but for some reason we headed west towards Warwick today in the rain and did the 10 or so locks down from Bascote..... or at least SWMBO did the locks while I fannied  around with the throttle and tiller ( she likes to keep fit!). At the last one, Radford Bottom lock, she had gone down below to make a cuppa, so I had to single hand it with umbrella in hand. Boy was it slippy, even with my Dubarrys on. Back to boating with no rain methinks. What a whimp!

Edited by Dr Bob

Look for shoes and boots with an SRC rating. There is slip resistant rating A, B and C. For slippery steps and canal sides and locks then SRC  rating seems the most appropriate.  These are mostly found on shoes and boots for industry and they tend to be more expensive but well made nonetheless. 

The testing seems to involve walking on shiny steel surfaces covered with glycerol if I remember!

I buy mine from a shop for workshoes in Blackburn.  I've forgotten it's name but it's near the icerink! They do an online service. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Things like this are the reason I advise people to install I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) on their mobiles.

A paramedic friend advised me to do so a few years ago. He told me it was a great problem that unconscious or seriously injured people, who are alone, cause problems as there can be no way to access their locked phones.

I.C.E. allows them to access information like next of kin, medical notes, such as allergies, blood type etc.

It also allows you to easily call for assistance giving your exact position.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matrix.emergency

1 hour ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

Look for shoes and boots with an SRC rating. There is slip resistant rating A, B and C. For slippery steps and canal sides and locks then SRC  rating seems the most appropriate.  These are mostly found on shoes and boots for industry and they tend to be more expensive but well made nonetheless. 

The testing seems to involve walking on shiny steel surfaces covered with glycerol if I remember!

I buy mine from a shop for workshoes in Blackburn.  I've forgotten it's name but it's near the icerink! They do an online service. 

What a good piece of advice, I'm sure others might have been aware of this but I didn't know about these ratings, thanks very much. 

I have been reminded that the Aldi workbooks which are about £20 have Slip Resistant  C rating (SRC). They are slightly lighter in weight than some of the more expensive workwear. My friend says they are really good on the farm. He hates slipping and falling in his slippery cow byres!

On 10/19/2017 at 12:46, mrsmelly said:

I have a wife onboard to do all the dangerous stuff like locks etc whilst I drive the boat. She is quite old now but stout and still very robust so this works well at present.

It's nice to have a stout and robust old boat, especially if you also have a lovely wife on board.:D

Do try not to get too paranoid on the age front: slipping and falling can happen to anyone .

Did you go to casualty, and have some child in a nurse costume asking you if you can remember what day it is, and who is the Prime Minister? That's when you know the age is starting to show.

Worry only if it keeps happening; and just enjoy the gin.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DRP said:

It's nice to have a stout and robust old boat, especially if you also have a lovely wife on board.:D

Do try not to get too paranoid on the age front: slipping and falling can happen to anyone .

Did you go to casualty, and have some child in a nurse costume asking you if you can remember what day it is, and who is the Prime Minister? That's when you know the age is starting to show.

Worry only if it keeps happening; and just enjoy the gin.

I recently had a major op in Oxford and went to see the " surgeon " for his schpeel before the operation. He was explaining all the ins and outs extremely well I must say but I did find myself looking around the room for his Dad!! :lol:

• Haha 2

I walked back to my boat to make the dog safe and was reprimanded by young attractive paramedic for not calling instantly from where it happened. A great mix of gas& air, morphine and ketamine to re locate it. They kept asking pain scores till my screams told them I had got to 11 (think spinal tap). Impressed with NHS but did feel I needed a translator, not helped by the medication. As a result of Brexit staffing levels in the NHS likely to be decimated, but that's another issue.

Interesting comments about I.C.E. From Chop, I was able to give name and dob to paramedic whose tablet recognised my medical history but if you're unconscious..............

seasonal help from P-B about shoe slippiness you're never too old to learn stuff

iPhones have an emergency facility installed. From the locked phone you can call the emergency services. You can also access the owners medical i.d.

I have just set mine up in the Health app. You can put in as much info as you’re happy to put onto it. It includes the ability for your rescuer to contact your spouse, children etc. 

The only issue is, could this be abused if say you had your phone stolen?