ouch

WhiteSuit

Featured Posts

You always think this is never going to happen to you but it did to me yesterday. Whilst on the boat doing some maintenance. I took my dog for a walk. At Buckby top lock went down the steps to the underpass under the A5, unfortunately the damp brickwork steps were like ice and I got to the bottom far quicker than intended. As a result I have dislocated and fractured my shoulder. When you are on your own and injured with a dog to look after you really appreciate those that help. Top marks to Weltonfield Narrowboats, Nick kept my chin up till paramedics arrived and sorted out my boat and dog till I returned from A&E.

Has anyone else had problems with these steps? I was in decent hiking boots, no alcohol involved and have spent my life walking/cycling/working on rough terrain and entering hazardous situations with never a previous problem.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, WhiteSuit said:

You always think this is never going to happen to you but it did to me yesterday. Whilst on the boat doing some maintenance. I took my dog for a walk. At Buckby top lock went down the steps to the underpass under the A5, unfortunately the damp brickwork steps were like ice and I got to the bottom far quicker than intended. As a result I have dislocated and fractured my shoulder. When you are on your own and injured with a dog to look after you really appreciate those that help. Top marks to Weltonfield Narrowboats, Nick kept my chin up till paramedics arrived and sorted out my boat and dog till I returned from A&E.

Has anyone else had problems with these steps? I was in decent hiking boots, no alcohol involved and have spent my life walking/cycling/working on rough terrain and entering hazardous situations with never a previous problem.

Pleased to hear you ok it could have been much worse. Also good to hear positive feedback for those who helped you instead of the usual whinging. Facts are that we are getting older and I certainly cannot do what I could only a few short years ago :mellow:

Just now, WhiteSuit said:

'decent' hiking boots can however be very slippy dependent on what the soles are made of. I have some hi-tec ones which are super comfortable and very grippy in mud, slush etc. But walk on a hard surface which is coated in anything like moss or hard ice and I turn into a brand new contestant on 'Dancing on Ice'. They are a hardish synthetic material.

Hope you recover soon.

5 minutes ago, MJG said:

'decent' hiking boots can however be very slippy dependent on what the soles are made of. I have some hi-tec ones which are super comfortable and very grippy in mud, slush etc. But walk on a hard surface which is coated in anything like moss or hard ice and I turn into a brand new contestant on 'Dancing on Ice'. They are a hardish synthetic material.

Hope you recover soon.

Yow Martinglad to see you are back from the childrens playground :cheers:

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Pleased to hear you ok it could have been much worse. Also good to hear positive feedback for those who helped you instead of the usual whinging. Facts are that we are getting older and I certainly cannot do what I could only a few short years ago :mellow:

Trouble is you never feel older till you come to recuperate!

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, MJG said:

Hope you recover soon.

thank you for you well wishes Martin.

I wear the boots when it's wet because they are very grippy around locks as opposed to others I've tried

I used to feel an old fart liking Gin but it's so trendy now I might have to give it up:cheers:

4 minutes ago, WhiteSuit said:

thank you for you well wishes Martin.

I wear the boots when it's wet because they are very grippy around locks as opposed to others I've tried

I have a wife onboard to do all the dangerous stuff like locks etc whilst I drive the boat. She is quite old now but stout and still very robust so this works well at present.

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yow Martinglad to see you are back from the childrens playground :cheers:

I flit between these days TBH Tim, but in general don't get much time to post on either these days. I can't do what we had planned for the house today due to the weather which is crap today so I'm killing time 'till it dries up.

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

I flit between these days TBH Tim, but in general don't get much time to post on either these days. I can't do what we had planned for the house today due to the weather which is crap today so I'm killing time 'till it dries up.

Yeah too true mate. We have moored up and aint going anywhere till after the crap weather due this weekend. Brasenose arms tomorrow so its not all bad, ensured we are near a half decent pub at least. :D

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah too true mate. We have moored up and aint going anywhere till after the crap weather due this weekend. Brasenose arms tomorrow so its not all bad, ensured we are near a half decent pub at least. :D

Make sure you get a full pint with a propa 'ead onit.

I don't quite know what happens as you get to a certain age but both me and the wife have each had a serious incident like this in the last couple of years and it's worrying - you just can't be on your guard 100% of the time and locks are incredibly dangerous places when you think about it.  All the incidents/near things I've ever seen have been at locks. The folk that really disturb me are those who straddle lock gates especially in the rain. 

Sorry to hear of you mishap Whitesuit, hope you make a speedy recovery and get some help with the dog walking.

Edited by Neil2

3 hours ago, ianali said:

Why?

Well maybe they could coat the steps with a non slip surface if they knew there was a problem, or they could leave them slippery until someone cracks their skull open and not a shoulder blade. BTW the incident report form is back on their web site https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/34316-visitor-incident-reporting-form.pdf

I read it that the OP slipped on steps on the CRT tow path, 

Edited by ditchcrawler
Added a line

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I hope you report this to CRT officially 

are you the elfinsafety angel?

the one who ensures that public bodies are so tied up trying to prevent misadventures that there is no budget left for doing useful things?

our local parks department has no budget for buying chainsaw blades to cut up the many trees that have fallen and blocked woodland paths; however during recent rains a few small pieces of rock fell off a low cliff near a footpath (nothing rolled onto the path itself) and within 2 weeks about 20 intrusive signs and 200m of iron fences had been erected in perceived 'high risk areas'.  I would love to see the risk assessment that showed that there was a significant possibility of someone being hurt in a repeat incident. ....... and several people have asked what they should do to protect themselves from 'DANGER - FALLING ROCKS' as they walk along the footpath. 

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well maybe they could coat the steps with a non slip surface if they knew there was a problem, or they could leave them slippery until someone cracks their skull open and not a shoulder blade. BTW the incident report form is back on their web site https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/34316-visitor-incident-reporting-form.pdf

I read it that the OP slipped on steps on the CRT tow path, 

Yes that's what I read. Happens huh...

Ian.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I used to make my own sandals out of old tyre treads. I found that  L/R Avon traction mileage tyre treads gave the best grip on most surfaces. :closedeyes: 

Did you cut any Semi Circular sections out of the  Tyres? You could have strapped them on your feet and Hitched a Tow from a Fast Boat.

You could have invented the Sport of Aqua Planing?

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

12 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Did you cut any Semi Circular sections out of the  Tyres? You could have strapped them on your feet and Hitched a Tow from a Fast Boat.

You could have invented the Sport of Aqua Planing?

No, I tread carefully. An idea though.  I got the idea from pavements menders. The chaps who walked about on tyred knees weilding huge wooden mallets bonking the paving slabs level.

Edited by bizzard