CRT disgruntled staff

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Graham Davis said:

I see "elsewhere" that Jenlyn has admitted he has removed some of the comments on the feed.
I presume the positive ones.

1 hour ago, MJG said:

You seem so very keen on visiting often Graham, why not post where he has a 'right to reply'?

But those who SJ has in the past decided to post personal attacks on on his own website don't have that option do they?

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I did that until i found a job that suited me for twenty years, then had built up enough experience to move on again for the last ten of my working life until i retired a few years back.  When i started work though, back in the 70's, you could pick up reasonably paid work anywhere, however unskilled you were.  You simply can't do that now - most available work is either minimum wage rip offs anyway, or fake self employment where you are tied to one employer but with none of the benefits of actual employment.  And most people aren;t really suited to the pressures of genuine self employment.

I agree, I've spent roughly half my working life in employment and half self employed and I reckon even if you gave the average person £50k to set up their own business they would be bankrupt within a year.  The world of work is such these days that if you have a reasonably secure job and get paid a salary at the end of the month you should be thanking your lucky stars not moaning about your lot.

36 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

But those who SJ has in the past decided to post personal attacks on on his own website don't have that option do they?

I wasnt talking about his own website Alan. When Graham referred to 'elsewhere' I believe he was talking about Thunderboat.

My understanding is that Graham is a registered member there and therefore could if he wishes post a response direct to Steve over there.

Edited by MJG

49 minutes ago, MJG said:

I wasnt talking about his own website Alan. When Graham referred to 'elsewhere' I believe he was talking about Thunderboat.

My understanding is that Graham is a registered member there and therefore could if he wishes post a response direct to Steve over there.

Not much point on posting anything on that forum as it will be met by foul language and insults and not a lot of common sense. The regulars seem to  try to out do one another in who can be most objectionable and the worrying thing is that there are (presumably) grown men who think that is the way to behave. A bit sad really.

I did join but didn't stay long when I saw what it was like.

Haggis

• Greenie 1

Utterly amazing that people clearly state they HAVE NOT read the link but feel free to adversely comment on it's content, and on the poster's honestly held views.

In the same post to also declare that in view of who posted, the post would be biased against C&RT, is gob smacking.

Even those with experience of working with C&RT have acknowledged and recognised the truth of the views expressed.

Rog

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

15 minutes ago, haggis said:

Not much point on posting anything on that forum as it will be met by foul language and insults and not a lot of common sense. The regulars seem to  try to out do one another in who can be most objectionable and the worrying thing is that there are (presumably) grown men who think that is the way to behave. A bit sad really.

Haggis

I lasted about 10 minutes...

all abuse and not much boaty stuff.

11 minutes ago, haggis said:

Haggis

You're a lot braver than I. Having read some of the posts there I wouldn't dare join without having a live-in counsellor.

Having said that in Jenlyn's defence he does suggest the omitted reviews are worse than those published. In general I'm not surprised by any of those reviews. Pretty typical of the conversations I've had over recent times with various lockies around these parts.

3 hours ago, MJG said:

You seem so very keen on visiting often Graham, why not post where he has a 'right to reply'?

How do you know I haven't?
And I see that Steve has resorted to his usual insults towards me.

And I will repeat what i stated earlier. You can go to any large employer and see the same type of comments about their "bosses". It is certainly true within the railway industry. And if Steve wanted to make a correct and fair point he would not have removed the few positive comments. By removing them he has made his arguemnet worthless.

And now I expect I'll get another insulting response over there.

18 minutes ago, dogless said:

Utterly amazing that people clearly state they HAVE NOT read the link but feel free to adversely comment on it's content, and on the poster's honestly held views.

In the same post to also declare that in view of who posted, the post would be biased against C&RT, is gob smacking.

Even those with experience of working with C&RT have acknowledged and recognised the truth of the views expressed.

Rog

In that case why did Steve edit out the positive comments about CaRT?

5 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

How do you know I haven't?

In direct response to SJ in the thread in question?? Which was my meaning.

As I said I understand you are a member but I further understand you haven't posted for some considerable time, happy to be corrected though.

Edited by MJG

13 minutes ago, dogless said:

Rog

As one of the folk who said they hadn't read the web site, I presume this comment may be aimed at me and others. Having been around a long time on this forum, you form opinions of people and it is usually fairly obvious who is anti CRT and who is not . I didn't need to read the link to know it would be anti CRT. I have absolutely no doubt that the views expressed are "the posters honestly held views" but they are not mine. I am neither for nor against CRT. 

Haggis

1 minute ago, MJG said:

In direct response to SJ in the thread in question??

As I said I understand you are a member but I further understand you haven't posted for some considerable time, happy to be corrected though.

That is for you to guess and me to know!

Just now, Graham Davis said:

That is for you to guess and me to know!

Well having been back through the thread I can say with 100% confidence (looking at the ID's of everybody who posted so far in it) that I know you haven't.

35 minutes ago, dogless said:

Rog

I think that's a bit unfair, I don't know who this Steve J is but a quick look at his website and it's pretty clear he has an "agenda" and, possibly, a bit too much time on his hands.

So those who do know him from the past were making a pretty safe assumption I would say. 

FWIW a lot of this negativity about CRT flies in the face of my personal experience and I'm sure many others.  I'd go further and say the vast majority of boaters I talk to have nothing but good things to say about the way the waterways are managed.  The fact that there are some disgruntled workers isn't very revealing, I'm more impressed by the evidence of my own eyes.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

Over the years I have had mostly good experiences when dealing with CaRT staff many levels. It is perhaps the general decline in pre-emptive maintenance, the closures, poor communications, delays, the reduction of bank staff and the apparent money-wasting schemes which cause so many of us concern over the future. 

In my experience those CaRT staff at the lower levels do seem to be quite disillusioned compared with those lock keepers employed by the EA on the Thames and Yorkshire Derwent. Admittedly I've had much less involvement with E.A. staff so no doubt someone will redress the balance.

Generally I heard much the same kind of comment when I worked in local government but it does seem in the past 20 years some local authorities have made big improvements to staff moral. It should be well within CaRT's grasp to make improvements too but management does need to listen and act. 

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 2

I too have generally had good experiences of CRT and before that BW.

The commentails you CRT staff do not surprise me.

Generally people do not like change,  and employees particular don't like change.

As someone who rose "from the tools" to a senior management positions with BT, I experienced change management first hand. 

It takes many years and effective managers to change the culture of a company, particularly if like CRT and BT it had if like to roots in a nationalised industry where staff were generally sheltered from competition.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I am for CART, I am for anyone who has anything to do with my waterways even if they sometimes get it wrong. I have found almost invariably in life that its a certain type of person that is often simply anti any person or institute with any kind of authority. I found some people to be anti police and funnily enough it nearly always turned out they had criminal records. We have morons daily who abuse staff in hospitals even when they are treating them!! CART knocking has simply taken over from BW knocking and funnily enough in my 28 years of dealing with them I have always found them helpful, funny innitt?

Well worded I agree.

Ian.

7 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

how would you know if you haven't read the site? you can in fact comment if you wish but sadly not  telepathically

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, dogless said:

Rog

Why "gob smacking"?  If you know the author, and his agenda, you can guarantee it will be anti CRT.

Are you seriously suggesting it isn't?

38 minutes ago, GoodGurl said:

how would you know if you haven't read the site? you can in fact comment if you wish but sadly not  telepathically

Why on earth should I go anywhere near a site that I know has been used by its owner to attack me personally?

I'll pass on that one, thank you.

Mr Jay's site is like Thunderboat - I have no desire to read either.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

It's a sad fact that, whatever SJ's agenda might be (and yes, I know it too!) he's almost certainly right that not many of CRT's on the ground staff think that their management is any good.    Parkinson's second law, I think, that in any organisation, after a time it becomes more important to run the organisation than to look after what it was supposed to be doing in the first place.   Why should CRT be any different? We're just lucky that most of the bods on the ground still care about the canals - all the back office people care about is their jobs.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

20 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Why on earth should I go anywhere near a site that I know has been used by its owner to attack me personally?

I'll pass on that one, thank you.

Mr Jay's site is like Thunderboat - I have no desire to read either.

If you won't visit the site to see what has been put then why are you having an input on the content that you haven't read?

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

21 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's a sad fact that, whatever SJ's agenda might be (and yes, I know it too!) he's almost certainly right that not many of CRT's on the ground staff think that their management is any good.    Parkinson's second law, I think, that in any organisation, after a time it becomes more important to run the organisation than to look after what it was supposed to be doing in the first place.   Why should CRT be any different? We're just lucky that most of the bods on the ground still care about the canals - all the back office people care about is their jobs.

it's a sad fact that the ground staff will get that low in moral that they will leave and then where will CRT be? contractors that don't care sadly

• Greenie 2

GG, low moral and anti-management comments are not just made about CaRT. On any of the railway staff internet sites you can read equally (or more) vociferous comments about Network Rail or any of the train operating companies. If you look you could probably find similar about every other large employer in the UK or every Government department.

What has spoiled Jenlyn's "rant" is the fact that he has edited the responses to suit his well known anti-CaRT agenda, and has made his usual insults against members of this forum who do not agree with him.