How to stop being unmoored by yobs

Boisdevie

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

did you look at the weld between the straight and the circle ...... I wouldnt trust it with a helium baloon in a gale.

Nor would I, so I never moor in a way that puts a pull on the circle on any pin

Richard

From what I have observed in many chandlery outlets, only two type of stake are sold.....

"Definitely long enough"

and
"Might be long enough if you are lucky".

By my reckoning if they will knock easily into a good bit of bank with anything less than a 7lb hammer, they are probably not as big as is ideal.

They also look like they may very well all come from just one or two suppliers, and frankly I have not seen a lot of difference in quality, (Midland Chandlers ones look to me much like all the rest).

If someone knows of a good supplier of something better made and longer than the "standard" "long" type, that don't cost a fortune, it would be helpful if they could share the information.

4 minutes ago, mross said:

Can someone please post a photo showing the correct and incorrect way to use the loop on a mooring pin?  It could help others.  I'm not near my boat this week.

The loop faces away from the boat and serves only to help keep the rope in place when tying up. The pin takes the strain and the rope effectively pushes the loop against the pin 

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

If someone knows of a good supplier of something better made and longer than the "standard" "long" type, that don't cost a fortune, it would be helpful if they could share the information.

How about something like this- On eBay 
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F111110765283

Hmm just spotted you have to pick them up-so if youre not in Yorkshire not alot of help..

Edited by PaulJ

15 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

(Why has everybody started calling them pins - they aren't really "pins" are they? :))

13 hours ago, X Alan W said:

When I was boating they were called pins south of Brum & generally called stakes north of there

My early experience was also on the Southern Grand union, and I have always called them pins (or pegs), I do not recall them being the called stakes until more recently.

Edited by David Schweizer

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

did you look at the weld between the straight and the circle ...... I wouldnt trust it with a helium baloon in a gale. They are also very soft steel, the pin head soon mashes down and splinters.

I am sure that is all true, and describes the ones that I have as well, the rings (which were D's welded on in 2 places) have come off, and one is very bent.  They did look the right sort of size though, and most of the other I have seen look very small.  Do you know where sells good quality larger ones?

2 hours ago, adam1uk said:

That weld doesn't particularly matter though, does it?  Well, not unless you use the thing round the wrong way, and have the rope pulling on the circular bit (which admittedly seems the popular way of doing it these days).  If you use it correctly and have the rope round the stake with the circular bit behind, you're not putting any strain on the circular bit or the weld.

I think it matters from the point that after a bit with the shocks from hammering the ring will fall off.

1 hour ago, mross said:

Can someone please post a photo showing the correct and incorrect way to use the loop on a mooring pin?  It could help others.  I'm not near my boat this week.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

The loop faces away from the boat and serves only to help keep the rope in place when tying up. The pin takes the strain and the rope effectively pushes the loop against the pin 

Exactly. Put the loop on the side away from the boat

Richard

42 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

We use marquee pegs, 30" by 1" dia I reckon without checking them. Looks like a good supplier here:

http://www.blackcountrypins.co.uk/html/pricelist_mp.asp?custid=0&nm=&telno=&eml=&del=&del2=&del3=&cty=&pc1=&pc2=&comm=##

Yep crazy cheap until you see the delivery charge!  I don't need 30" long, 600mm would sound about right for what I want.

18 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Won't they just pull the "pin" out?

(Why has everybody started calling them pins - they aren't really "pins" are they? :))

Because the things they sell today are like pins, not a decent stake. I wouldn't consider going away leaving my boat moored on them, if I had to leave the boat I would find somewhere else to moor.

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

We use marquee pegs, 30" by 1" dia I reckon without checking them. Looks like a good supplier here:

http://www.blackcountrypins.co.uk/html/pricelist_mp.asp?custid=0&nm=&telno=&eml=&del=&del2=&del3=&cty=&pc1=&pc2=&comm=##

Pegs oh no not another name 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Steel-Folding-Ring-Spiral-Ground-Anchor-Outdoor-Stake-Screw-Boat-Trap-Canopy-/232126300434?epid=2148224041&hash=item360bce4112:g:Tk0AAOSwB09YEbzZ

What are thoughts on these spiral ground-anchor kind of things?

Is this, coupled with chain/padlock about as tamper-proof as you can be (without armco/rings/etc)?

1 hour ago, zimzim said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Steel-Folding-Ring-Spiral-Ground-Anchor-Outdoor-Stake-Screw-Boat-Trap-Canopy-/232126300434?epid=2148224041&hash=item360bce4112:g:Tk0AAOSwB09YEbzZ

What are thoughts on these spiral ground-anchor kind of things?

Is this, coupled with chain/padlock about as tamper-proof as you can be (without armco/rings/etc)?

They should work, probably harder to get fully in where there's hardcore/rubble in chunks under the towpath. The straight stakes/pegs/pins are better at finding their way through the lumpy stuff.

6 hours ago, adam1uk said:

That weld doesn't particularly matter though, does it?

Well actually yes, because a feeble weld there quickly fractures from stress caused by the hammer blow shocks as the stake is whacked into the ground. 

if the weld snaps brakes what ever .get it rewelded ..failing that buy some new ones , all ones doing is tying a boat up ..if it dont look sercure its probably not ...seems we need o levels for this now lol

6 hours ago, Dave_P said:

Can you recommend a better supplier?

I have a beefy magnet and i go "fishing" with it around locks and regular mooring spots when I have a few quiet minutes. Regular finds are tools, windlasses, the odd chimney and mooring pins. They all clean up easily with a brass brush on the angle grinder. I give most away but i havent had to buy a mooring  pin for years now. 

The magnet is a big round one with a screwed in eye bolt and a long length of old rope attached. Take care not to let it touch the boat though. It is extremely powerful.

Loughborough outside the now sadly gone Albion was a spot for the so called clever uni kids to untie boats on their way home from clubs. I would tie boat as normal then run a safety chain which being longer than mooring lines could be light weight but as i found out did the job.

2 hours ago, HBROK said:

I'm probably stating the obvious but I was always told to tie off on the boat at the capstan on the canal side, at least you'll feel the little scrotes get on or it may even make them think twice and move onto someone else.

Now is this a use of the word capstan I'm not familiar with?

Tee stud, dolly, cleat

Richard