Horninglow Basin T&M

Flyboy

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I couldn't be sure.  We stopped there for water about 3 weeks ago.  There is a notice on the concrete was which holds the road which (from memory) says something like "Tom's Moorings", which may of course be a name without implying ownership.  The moorings didn't seem any worse for litter than the rest of the area.   Can't comment on the depth of the moorings other than there was plenty of depth at the water point.

EDIT:   A bit of a google suggests they are CRT moorings and Tom's Moorings is indeed a local name for them.

Edited by Jerra

21 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I thought they belonged to Mrs Pat Bowern 

I thought they belonged to the Bowerns. There's another set of Tom's moorings at Penkridge. I've never understood anyone wanting to live at Horninglow, the A38 runs on an embankment immediately above and will be busy 24/7. I can believe they need dredging, mind.

CRT is presumably the owner, so maybe the Bowerns used to lease them and no longer do so.

I struggled to get the back end in on Monday, turning was bringing up masses of silt which will obviously sit under the remaining 3 or 4 boats moored there if they don't move very often. The boat in the article is the nearest to the facility block so hasn't got to worry about anything sanitation wise, however, there is no refuse facility there any more, and the surrounds are neglected to the point of shabbiness. There was also a lot of floating and sunk litter there.

Towing the boat to another mooring in the same basin will not solve anything.

Towing the boat to another local CRT mooring will probably inconvenience the ill boater as he will have to have transport to get to doctors and other facilities.

Dredging the basin is long overdue. Repairing the fences off the road is probably overdue too. However, CRT probably think that if they continue to do nothing, money will continue to be paid until the basin is as empty as the one next to their old office at Fazeley Junction, tamworth.

"Tom's Moorings" at Market Drayton was similar.... we had to move jetty as the one we usually moored on silted up so much that a tyre lying on the bottom wasn't even fully submerged.

Now its been dredged, jetties rebuilt, new power poles, lighting and water put in... and its now Ladybird moorings (Not sure why Ladybird... I would have thought Gingerbread would have been a more suitable name)

• Greenie 1

It puzzles me how so much of a particular canal can be well maintained whilst a few parts of it seem so neglected? Almost as though its planned! I guess though that the money we pay is just not enough to cover every problem. At least the canals on general are in pretty good condition. Ian.

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

"Tom's Moorings" at Market Drayton was similar.... we had to move jetty as the one we usually moored on silted up so much that a tyre lying on the bottom wasn't even fully submerged.

Now its been dredged, jetties rebuilt, new power poles, lighting and water put in... and its now Ladybird moorings (Not sure why Ladybird... I would have thought Gingerbread would have been a more suitable name)

Is that the part that used to be LADYLINE boatyard ?

Have we actually established it's CRT's responsibility to do anything about it yet?

They seem to have accepted some sort of responsibility to help the boater which is fair enough but as for dredging the basin is that their responsibility?

When we used to cruise past (a few years back now) it was always my understanding that the basin was in private hands and if so it's the owners responsibility to have it dredged surely? Or do CRT still have a responsibility. I never saw any signage which indicated these were CRT LTM's but have things changed?

Can anybody actually say definitively it is CRT's problem? and if so why.

We used to get water from the point there but that is outside what I recall was a locked fenced of area which was the private moorings.

Edited by MJG

• 2 weeks later...

You will be happy to know there has been a good outcome to this story.

The Burton article put the wheels in motion and local charities,  care groups and the might of CRT all cane together to make sure that the man's soup sat evenly in his bowl. 

The boat has been moved 5 mooring spaces further along.