Caldon canal

larryjc

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Laurie ..... pray do explain.

I found the first bit great, then for me it went down hill fast. Got to Milton stayed the night there (it was closed). We then went a bit further on and turned back. Total lack of any thing for us.

:(

34 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I found the first bit great, then for me it went down hill fast. Got to Milton stayed the night there (it was closed). We then went a bit further on and turned back. Total lack of any thing for us.

Oh dear ...... it sounds to me like you failed to enjoy the Swizzels Factory.  There are only so many delights in life!

9 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Oh dear ...... it sounds to me like you failed to enjoy the Swizzels Factory.  There are only so many delights in life!

Eh? T'swizzles is ont' Peak Forest at New Mills, at least  it were last time I enjoyed the aroma therein.

It really is a delightful canal. We've moored in Milton with no issues. Well worth doing both branches, also if its your one and only trip, or if you're not from around the area its also worthwhile timing your trip to coincide with a trip on the Churnet Valley Railway (it runs on Sundays and occasional other days), we were able to time it to moor up, take the train up and down the line, then later on in the afternoon cruise down the canal and pass the train in the narrowest valley section.

The Froghall Tunnel is not really worth going through unless you definitely know you won't get stuck, you can turn and moor then walk down to the "end" of the canal and see everything there is to see. The Leek branch is definitely worth doing, its not too long (so not a big amount of time) but also great.

21 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

I think you are at Cheddleton tonight as I am, with you at the top of the moorings and MARQUIS at the other end before the Flint Mill.

We are three boats travelling together, planning to continue to Consall Forge and Froghall, but the EA River & Sea Level website shows a steep rise of level on the R. Churnet, so passing onto the river is getting less likely as the rain continues!

The Churnet is one of N Staffordshire's lovely unspoiled and clean, but fairly wild rivers and a rapid drop in levels could be slow.

Oh well, we'll have to stay here and keep an eye on it.

There's always the 16 bus into Leek which runs late into the evening, a lovely little town with great pubs!

James

We went down to the lock before the river section today but it was in the red. We could see the green about an inch below the water level. We had lunch to see if the level went down but it didn't. So we turned round and went back to Park Lane sevices for water then turned again and have come back to Cheddleton. We'll see if the river goes down over the next few days. Will go and see the trains tomorrow.

On 10/20/2017 at 22:02, zenataomm said:

I love the Swizzels factory (Peak Forest) canal. Now that's a fantastic canal, I could live on that.

:)

Edited by Laurie.Booth

8 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I love the Swizzels factory (Maccy) canal. Now that's a fantastic canal, I could live on that.

:)

Me too. 

31 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Well the Swizzels factory has been on 3 canals so far this thread, but I'm moored just along from it at the moment, and I think I'm on the Peak Forest..........:unsure: 

New Mills.

If I remember correct?

15 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

So you didn’t go to the best bits.

The only place where I have felt that someone was going to have a go was at Planet lock. I was in the lock going up,Diana was drawing the top paddle. A youth arrived on a bike and pulled up beside the boat near me, not saying much but looking and weighing up the situation. I was at the tiller facing him. He then laid the bike down and got off and walked closer to the boat. After a few seconds he stepped onto the gunwale just ahead of me so I asked him quite politely to get off,which he made no effort to do, At that point the lock was full so I just reached to my belt and got hold of my windlass to go drop the top paddle, when he saw me rest my hand on the windlass he decided that he would get off the boat,back on his bike and bugger off.

It may have been something or nothing, maybe he heard his mother call him in for tea

Edited by ditchcrawler