Caldon canal

larryjc

Featured Posts

Just idly considering next year's cruise.  We will be heading through Harecastle southwards.  We went past the entrance to the Caldon at Etruria the other year and I intend to do a diversion to have a look see this time.  Nicholson as usual gives some detail but what does the committee think?  Also is it worth doing both end arms or is one beter than the other?

It takes about 4 miles to clear the not so savoury areas of Stoke after which you are on one of the most attractive canals in the country.  A bit shallow in places, but the coalboat HALSALL goes up there regularly so it cannot be that bad.

Well worth visiting both arms.

George

We did the Caldon and Leek arm in September and couldn't really fault it. A bit slow going if you're deep draughted, but very quiet with no problems getting moored at pubs etc. The first mile or so is a bit grim but the rest makes up for it, it's as lovely as the Welsh one without the grumpy Welsh people. The moorings in the basin at Froghall are very peaceful, and handy for the new coffee shop. That's assuming you fit through the tunnel!  Don't miss the Leek branch though as the scenery is as good, if not better. 

When I was up there this year a lot of the worst bits of derelict industry have been replaced with housing. I agree that this is one of the nicest canals, especially as you get closer to the end. Consall Forge with the canal and preserved railway is a great spot and the Black Lion will provide a curry and a beer for about £7.00 on curry night.

Edited by philjw
spelling

There's recent threads on this to look at if you do a search.

I don't think the first few miles are that bad personally, but I agree the Caldon is one of the unsung heroes of the network and I can't understand why it's not more popular, there's pretty much everything you could want in those 17 miles and beyond Cheddleton it really is like stepping back in time.    

There have been a lot of changes in the first few miles; the industrial dereliction has largely disappeared, replaced by residential development and parkland.  I saw several boats moored along that stretch this summer, to my surprise.   The Leek arm is much the shorter, of course, and doesn't actually go into Leek - it's a rather unattractive trek into town, but Leek is easily reached by bus from several places and is worth a visit as an attractive old market town.  Of course I tried to visit as many pubs as possible on my visit, and will report in the 3rd part of the 2016 Pub Cruise.

If you cant fit through Froghall Tunnel,the moorings by Thomas Bolton Copper works are a bit of an anti climax. Lots of walks from Froghall Basin. Long walk from Thomas Bolton to the elsan point in Froghall Basin. Since our last visit I understand a new operator has taken over the shop in the basin. If you moor at the end of the Leek Arm,it is a short walk past the scrap yard to the railway footpath. If you turn right and go through the tunnel,you will reach the end of the heritage railway. You can then walk along the mothballed Stoke Branch,if you are so inclined.  If you tun left at the scrap yard,you will end up in Morrisons car park. Turn right up the hill for good fish and chips. Note. The hight gauge at the last lock on the Froghall Branch is a bit pessimistic. But no chance if you have got anything on the roof.

As others have said, the Caldon is a must do canal. It is essential to do both arms. If you can't get through Froghall tunnel there are good moorings near the winding hole. I can recommend the Holly Bush pub near Bridge 38 where there are good moorings. The only services from memory are at Park Lane Wharf between Bridges 30 & 31. but there are water points at Consall Forge and if you can get through Froghall tunnel at the wharf.

Edited by Flyboy

And a 2nd hand bookshop at Milton that's well worth a visit!  After the park at the Stoke end of the Caldon, which looks inviting but is not a very safe place to moor, there's a very nice mooring just before Engine Lock.  The road bridge is electric and it's now operated from the towpath side, which is a great advantage to us singlehanders.

One of my bestest ever canals indeed, if I'm going near Stoke I'm always saddened if I haven't time to pop up there and do both arms.

No it's not worth doing at all and the sooner more people stop going up there the better, so far as I'm concerned. :glare:

7 hours ago, larryjc said:

Just idly considering next year's cruise.  We will be heading through Harecastle southwards.  We went past the entrance to the Caldon at Etruria the other year and I intend to do a diversion to have a look see this time.  Nicholson as usual gives some detail but what does the committee think?  Also is it worth doing both end arms or is one beter than the other?

There is an 8 page guide to the Caldon in the November issue of Waterways World.

We did the Caldon as part of this September’s big trip.  It was a good few years since we last did it, and it was just as good as we remembered.  As others have said, the first few miles have changed a lot.  After that there are plenty of out of the way places to moor, and a good mix of locks and no locks.  The Leek Arm is pretty, even in torrential rain, and if you can time your visit to coincide with the steam railway running.  The Caldon part of my blog begins on this day.

We're on this canal at the moment. It's the first time we've been since 2013. The bit coming out of Etruria has improved a lot in those four years. We rode out Ophelia's work at the end of the Leek branch.  We're hoping to catch some steam trains during the upcoming weekend on the Churnet Valley Railway. It's a great canal, one of the best.

Lovely canal. Visit it while you have the chance. Allow time for both arms. Tunnels are small though.

For a bit of fun at Hazelhurst lock, there is a blow-hole that erupts into a great fountain of water as he paddle is raised (at the top gate I recall.)

Get an unsuspecting member of the crew (or gongoozler if you have a death wish) to stand over the hole when you open the paddle.

pa

5 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

We're on this canal at the moment. It's the first time we've been since 2013. The bit coming out of Etruria has improved a lot in those four years. We rode out Ophelia's work at the end of the Leek branch.  We're hoping to catch some steam trains during the upcoming weekend on the Churnet Valley Railway. It's a great canal, one of the best.

I think you are at Cheddleton tonight as I am, with you at the top of the moorings and MARQUIS at the other end before the Flint Mill.

We are three boats travelling together, planning to continue to Consall Forge and Froghall, but the EA River & Sea Level website shows a steep rise of level on the R. Churnet, so passing onto the river is getting less likely as the rain continues!

The Churnet is one of N Staffordshire's lovely unspoiled and clean, but fairly wild rivers and a rapid drop in levels could be slow.

Oh well, we'll have to stay here and keep an eye on it.

There's always the 16 bus into Leek which runs late into the evening, a lovely little town with great pubs!

James

It should be pointed out of course that despite all these comments about how lovely the Caldon is, mine included, it's widely recognised that you shouldn't moor overnight between Etruria Junction (start of Caldon) and Engine Lock. People do stop in Milton sometimes as it looks nice but it's quite common for windows to be smashed on boats there.