Sailaway

MichaelG

Featured Posts

forget the concept of trying to find a boat that has your perfect layout and style, or a boat newly-built to your 'perfect' requirements; even DIY fitting out to your own 'perfect' design will end up as somewhat of a disappointment because as you progress you will constantly be having new ideas, or thinking 'I wish I'd done it that way instead'.

I would buy a boat (new or 2nd hand) with a sound basic fit-out and then get out and use it; as you while away those quiet evenings you will always come up with ideas about how to make improvements, nothing is stopping you doing some or all of those improvements as you go.  The same would apply to a 'perfect' boat, believe me, but the heartache of having to modify something you have already laboured to make 'perfect' is a joy-killer.  

• Happy 1

This is only my opinion but here goes, I bought a bare 58 foot shell in primer and fitted it out to what other people have said is a good standard in one year, but this is the important thing as said before It was in my yard behind my house, I built a scaffold pole framework over it complete with walk ways and huge tarpaulin, had workshop with saw bench etc, and I run my own building co so could spend more time than just weekends on it, I made sure it was completely finished and furnished before putting her in the water as I know me and it would never have got done once we started using it. And I can say with hand on heart that I really enjoyed building it and looking forward to when we can cc around the system when retired. any advice on my own build experience that I can give just ask.

Neil

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

This is only my opinion but here goes, I bought a bare 58 foot shell in primer and fitted it out to what other people have said is a good standard in one year, but this is the important thing as said before It was in my yard behind my house, I built a scaffold pole framework over it complete with walk ways and huge tarpaulin, had workshop with saw bench etc, and I run my own building co so could spend more time than just weekends on it, I made sure it was completely finished and furnished before putting her in the water as I know me and it would never have got done once we started using it. And I can say with hand on heart that I really enjoyed building it and looking forward to when we can cc around the system when retired. any advice on my own build experience that I can give just ask.

Neil

No connection to The Beaux of London City? (your boat name)

Just now, system 4-50 said:

The Beaux of London City were a Morris dance group that my late father in law was heavily involved with.

Oh I see, thought it was the name of a boat in London doh, My boat is named after the kennel club name of our Labrador.

Neil

Neil probably has that trait that means he enjoys the building process and the design / problem solving part of it. I think have a bit of that but if you haven't got that in your personality then fitting out a boat is going to be a real slog. 

5 minutes ago, Bee said:

Neil probably has that trait that means he enjoys the building process and the design / problem solving part of it. I think have a bit of that but if you haven't got that in your personality then fitting out a boat is going to be a real slog. 

Your probably right, I enjoy planning from scratch and making it reality and every day try and set a target for progress so you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and make sure you have all the stuff you need for the days work so your not running around half the day.

Neil

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

forget the concept of trying to find a boat that has your perfect layout and style, or a boat newly-built to your 'perfect' requirements; even DIY fitting out to your own 'perfect' design will end up as somewhat of a disappointment because as you progress you will constantly be having new ideas, or thinking 'I wish I'd done it that way instead'.

I would buy a boat (new or 2nd hand) with a sound basic fit-out and then get out and use it; as you while away those quiet evenings you will always come up with ideas about how to make improvements, nothing is stopping you doing some or all of those improvements as you go.  The same would apply to a 'perfect' boat, believe me, but the heartache of having to modify something you have already laboured to make 'perfect' is a joy-killer.  

Hi Murflynn, all things considered in my own personal case your advice is I think spot on and I think I will go down that route of buying a good used boat and then tinkering with it to suit. Listening to the advice of other posts has also served to confirm my suspicion that fitting a sailaway would probably be biting off more than I could chew. For example I wouldnt have the benefit of having the boat very close as I am not very near to a waterway and working full time would restrict the amount of hours I could devote to it and string out the build time. Plus ofcourse the thought of being out boating is a little more appealing than being up to my knees in sawdust, plumbing and wiring.  

2 hours ago, MichaelG said:

For example I wouldnt have the benefit of having the boat very close as I am not very near to a waterway and working full time would restrict the amount of hours I could devote to it and string out the build time. Plus ofcourse the thought of being out boating is a little more appealing than being up to my knees in sawdust, plumbing and wiring.  

The distance and working full time is why you see so many unfinished projects.  It just drags on and on.  I, and others posting here, worked almost full time on their fitout, and had the boat close at hand (mine was 15 minutes away), and yet still took many, many months to complete.  If you are not lucky enough to be in that position, fitting out a sailaway will turn into a slog.  Especially if you don't get a buzz out of doing all the designing and building.

You are right to be looking now for a used boat that "nearly" fits your requirements.

• 3 weeks later...

With your budget I would be inclined to go for a sail away lined plus. All first fix electrics pre wired, all plumbing in place, including colarifier, tanks etc. walls lined and bulkheads in position, Windows fitted. painted on the outside, nothing worse than a sail away being fitted out whilst rusting for want of a paint job. This then leaves the kitchen to fit, bathroom to fit, radiators to fit and whatever heating system, woodwork required for bedroom and living room. You can if you want move on board with a mattress, cassette bog and camping stove. Cost more but most of the hard tedious work is done.

2 hours ago, reg said:

Hers a 57ft Collingwood that appears to fit the bill

Marketed as an unfinished project but appears to be well near completion

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=542341

You can usually barter for a good price on unfinished projects as by their very nature they are indicating they want rid.

You are buying something that has been worked on for 7 years to a finish maybe not achieving any particular standard other than the owners personal budget demands or skills.

You may have to strip back almost everything to achieve RCD status, indeed , do you really know what is behind those panels, or what has made the kitchen worktop look so quirky after such a short lifespan?? Even the stove flue suggests that the hole in the roof was cut before they decided where the best place for the stove was.

Budget hull with owner unfinished fitout, 40k is an ambitious attempt to recover spent money.......how wisely was it spent...

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

Hi all, very worth a thought but I would guess that £40k would be better spent on a new hull which for around that price would come lined and painted. Plus reverse plan wouldn't be my personal choice so a lot of the work already completed would end up being redone. Having thought long and hard my current thoughts are to find a nice used but well cared for boat.