Modern "old" engines

smiler

Featured Posts

This has probably been asked before - I did a search and couldn`t find anything.

I quite like the sound of an original 2-pot NB "put-put" engine - but also like the modern layout - engine tucked under the deck at the back.

Are there any modern (ie compact, reliable and economic) diesel engines available, suitable for a NB that sound like an old fashioned engine?

Or am I searching for the Holy Grail?

On 16/10/2017 at 22:25, smiler said:

This has probably been asked before - I did a search and couldn`t find anything.

I quite like the sound of an original 2-pot NB "put-put" engine - but also like the modern layout - engine tucked under the deck at the back.

Are there any modern (ie compact, reliable and economic) diesel engines available, suitable for a NB that sound like an old fashioned engine?

Holy grail??

Why on earth would you want a vintage engine without the engine room that goes with it? 

Is this your first boat by any chance...?

• Happy 2

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Holy grail??

Why on earth would you want a vintage engine without the engine room that goes with it? 

Is this your first boat by any chance...?

I`m not asking about a vintage engine.

I`m asking about a modern engine with a more traditional sound.

On 16/10/2017 at 23:43, smiler said:

I mean - am I looking for something that probably doesn`t exist?

A prime feature of a holy grail is a lot of people seeking it.

The Rigas Dizelis is a small twin cylinder engine that sounds bigger than it is, and could possibly be shoved out of the way and unloved, under the deckboards.

Have a look through this thread:

8 hours ago, ianali said:

I think there is little demand for loud exhaust sound so no modern engines are built this way. I get what your after but don't think it exists. Ian.

I don't think the exhaust note was the deal breaker I got the impression it was maybe 2 pot & low 700 to 1000rpm Max  only one that comes to mind is a BD3 & that"s 3pot

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is this where I mention the "new" EU/RCD noise and pollution rules and testing requirements for new boat engines? If its to be a legal new boat then probably in the Holy Grail category.

Not read the new laws, will get around to it when long winter nights set in. Are they different to the laws covering cars/Lorry engines ? I know motorcycles can be louder than cars so I'd guess boats can be as well? 

1 minute ago, cereal tiller said:

Beta JD 3 ,good Engine.MtB had one but it was Far too reliable so he sold it!:D

It should have read "BD3", but it seems even Beta refer to it as a "JD3" in some of their stuff.

Not sure now if they still supply it (emissions?).

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are plenty of old Dumpers about with 2-pot Listers that make a 'put-put-put-put' sound, problem is they undoubtably do not meet the noise / emission standards so it would be illegal to fit them into a new boat.

And yet, there are still new boats being built that are having ancient engines fitted in them

I'm biased of course, being a purveyor of 2 pot Listers

Richard

4 minutes ago, RLWP said:

And yet, there are still new boats being built that are having ancient engines fitted in them

I'm biased of course, being a purveyor of 2 pot Listers

Richard

If I remember correctly, that is all in compliance with the rules if the boat is a reproduction / copy of an 'elderly' boat and the boat design and engine are of comparable vintage.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If I remember correctly, that is all in compliance with the rules if the boat is a reproduction / copy of an 'elderly' boat and the boat design and engine are of comparable vintage.

There are ways of doing this even into a clonecraft. And before you ask, I can't remember the details, I heard it from a boatbuilder.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Exclusions
4.—(1) The design and construction requirements set out in Part A of Schedule 1 do not apply to the following watercraft—

(e) original historical watercraft and individual replicas thereof designed before 1950 built predominantly with the original materials and labelled as such by the manufacturer;

(2) The exhaust emission requirements set out in Part B of Schedule 1 do not apply to the following—

(a) ................................

(b) original historical propulsion engines and individual replicas thereof, which are based on a pre-1950 design, not produced in series and fitted on watercraft referred to in paragraph 4(1)(e) or paragraph 4(1)(h) above.

But, as you say 'where there is a will, there is a way'

12 hours ago, smiler said:

Other than a JD3 - which Beta no longer list, I can't think of any slow revving engine of modern design available. However a solution may be to install a heat exchanger / fresh water cooled modern engine with a waterlock exhaust. These make a gentle 'splash, splash' noise as the cooling water is released.

Pleasant and relaxing for the steerer - but very quiet, so that might not meet your objectives....   

9 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Other than a JD3 - which Beta no longer list, I can't think of any slow revving engine of modern design available.

So you've never met one of those Rigas Dizelas engines than? Simon Wain has one in OBERON and it sounds like a JP2 but is the size of a shoebox.

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So you've never met one of those Rigas Dizelas engines than? Simon Wain has one in OBERON and it sounds like a JP2 but is the size of a shoebox.

Where would you buy one of them then?

Richard

2 hours ago, dor said:

It should have read "BD3", but it seems even Beta refer to it as a "JD3" in some of their stuff.

Not sure now if they still supply it (emissions?).

The BD3 was a beta marinisation of an old 3 pot Ford. Beta discontinued it 'cus it did not meet new emissions regs. They replaced it with JD3, a marinisation of a John Deere 3 pot (nicer looking than the BD3 but not quite as slow revving). JD3 now also discontinued due to even newer emissions regs.

Tony does keep pointing out that its difficult to get a DI to rev slowly without making a bit of smoke.

...............Dave