Road and Canal atlas

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps. For years we have owned a large scale Road atlas which was way better than most and had all the canal system clearly shown as the roads, it has been a brill bit of kit over the years and it was in large format so was printed in a north and south edition. We have bloomin well mislaid/lost ours and cannot remember the printer. It may have been Phillips but I am loath to buy one of theirs if its not the right one ( internet ) I wondered if any of you long term probably boaters can remember what publication I mean please?

Yes I know I can probably buy some modern crap called an app or some other electrical consuming toy but I realy would prefer the " Real thing " if anyone can recall it........cheeers

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi Peeps. For years we have owned a large scale Road atlas which was way better than most and had all the canal system clearly shown as the roads, it has been a brill bit of kit over the years and it was in large format so was printed in a north and south edition. We have bloomin well mislaid/lost ours and cannot remember the printer. It may have been Phillips but I am loath to buy one of theirs if its not the right one ( internet ) I wondered if any of you long term probably boaters can remember what publication I mean please?

Yes I know I can probably buy some modern crap called an app or some other electrical consuming toy but I realy would prefer the " Real thing " if anyone can recall it........cheeers

It was definitely Phillips, showed all the bridges. ours is Phillip's Navigator Britain ISBN 0-540-08276-7 but its a bit old now 

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It was definitely Phillips, showed all the bridges. ours is Phillip's Navigator Britain ISBN 0-540-08276-7 but its a bit old now WWW.phillips-maps.co.uk

Cheers old sport I thought it was. Brill bit of kit I must purchase again :cheers:

We 'invested' in a copy of that map a couple of years ago so Margaret could direct emergency services to where we are. Just in case I get a taste of a local brew and inadvertently go for a swim on my way home. (I made the last bit up for dramatic effect).

Hopefully the emergency services have their own copy.

• Happy 1

Just now, Nightwatch said:

We 'invested' in a copy of that map a couple of years ago so Margaret could direct emergency services to where we are. Just in case I get a taste of a local brew and inadvertently go for a swim on my way home. (I made the last bit up for dramatic effect).

Hopefully the emergency services have their own copy.

That would be a waste of time, it hasn't got post codes. No post code and you cant find it

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That would be a waste of time, it hasn't got post codes. No post code and you cant find it

Isnt it sad this progress crap. As a young bobby driving a panda car to 999 calls not very long ago but before all this postcode crap had realy caught on no one EVER used them and we dashed off to all 999 calls to address or location given without any hassle and always found wherever we were called to. Anyway thanks again the forum has come up trumps my copy was indeed called a Phillips navigator and I must now track another couple down. Far better than any silly app and works every time you open the page :cheers:

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Hence why I added the bit about the ES having their copy. Smilie here.

We have an app that give map references. Plus we always discuss where we are when we arrive. Often in the middle of nowhere.

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Hence why I added the bit about the ES having their copy. Smilie here.

We have an app that give map references. Plus we always discuss where we are when we arrive. Often in the middle of nowhere.

I am sure " Apps " have their place but Sods law says when the you know what hits the fan the poxy " Device " will have a flat battery or some other such gremlin unlike good old paper. :cheers:

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I am sure " Apps " have their place but Sods law says when the you know what hits the fan the poxy " Device " will have a flat battery or some other such gremlin unlike good old paper. :cheers:

You may be in for disappointment Tim, the Papyrus edition with Pterodactyl Hide Binding is no longer made.

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes, because paper is failsafe. As you have proved by losing your atlas.:P

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

You may be in for disappointment Tim, the Papyrus edition with Pterodactyl Hide Binding is no longer made.

:P

9 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

:blush:

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I always think that when people turn up at airports with their boarding pass on their phones. not for me

46 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The biggest problem I've had was whilst trying to fix the gearbox using an online manual - oily fingers and touch screens really do not mix!

3 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

The biggest problem I've had was whilst trying to fix the gearbox using an online manual - oily fingers and touch screens really do not mix!

Oh dear :o Yes I may be a dinosaur but pages even with oily marks on like my old Haynes car manuals always had still make far more sense to me than modern leccy devices. Just as an aside have you noticed how proper books are making a comeback against the crappy kindle that was supposedly going to finish proper books off :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I always think that when people turn up at airports with their boarding pass on their phones. not for me

Yes, once and only once for me as phone wouldn't load my boarding pass. Fortunately I had a printed copy in my hand luggage as back up.

My copy of Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery, a paperback bought in 1985, is also very oil stained, cooking oil of course, especially the covers and all the page edges.

An app would be far less useful, because with the book opened flat I can see the whole recipe hands free. Even when doing two or three recipes at the same time, the book still wins because a well placed envelope can hold the intervening pages together, and bulldog clips or similar are useful too.

17 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Many years ago, a colleague mocked me for using a Psion Organiser, claiming that it did nothing his HMSO diary couldn't. I pointed out that I backed it up to my desktop every day, so that if ever I lost it, I could just buy a new one and do a restore. He wasn't convinced.

That very night, his diary was nicked from the back of his car...

(no, not guilty, m'lud!)

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

Many years ago, a colleague mocked me for using a Psion Organiser, claiming that it did nothing his HMSO diary couldn't. I pointed out that I backed it up to my desktop every day, so that if ever I lost it, I could just buy a new one and do a restore. He wasn't convinced.

That very night, his diary was nicked from the back of his car...

(no, not guilty, m'lud!)

Ah the psion organiser 11 used to programme them, cracking bit of kit for the time. However I no longer have my 1986ish Psion but I do have my 1986 diary. 

Can stick the diary in a drawer for 30 years and the battery never runs out. 

Place for both but to me, in many cases, hardcopy is King electronic complementary to hardcopy

Edited by reg
Spelckr in <> on

If you follow the Amazon link that Graham Davis gives you will find a couple of hits for the Navigator. But just down the list is the Truckers version - looks like it could be the same scale/size but with a few fewer (?) town maps. The target audience is (surprisingly!) Truckers so it gives (road) bridge heights but canals, including locks, are also clearly shown.  Scale is larger/clearer than your typical bookshop atlas and as a part time motorist / part time boater I find it a great asset.

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Said Phillips navigator Atlas purchased for Moreton in Marsh market for £2.99 (2 for £5). Looks like it was published in 2014 and marked "New Edition". I suspect the stall will be at other markets in that area.

Its a hell of a drive and costs a fortune in fuel for me to Moreton in the bog, 100 yards to wh smiths and only twenty quid :cheers: