Painted Ware Question No.2

DRP

Featured Posts

I have a handbowl given to me by a famous canal painter over 20 years ago.

It has had no use other than decorative in that time, but the paint has steadily fallen off in sheets, revealing the bright galvanised surface beneath.

(I suspect that at that stage of his career, he didn't know about etch primer; hence the anonymity, to avoid causing embarrassment).

I now plan to repaint it, as due to a change in boat circumstances, it will now have to be used for its real purpose.

I have two questions:

1.  What is the best etch primer to use on a still "fresh" galvanised surface?

2.  If these bowls are going to be used, do you paint the inside, or just rely on the galvanised surface to protect it ?

I'm not posting a picture, as I'm sure some of you will know who it was by the paint that remains! (Spoilsport!)

The paint probably came away as the can if new hadn't been degreased. An awful lot of cans have been painted without primer and somehow I find it hard to hear the likes of Jess Owen shouting "Joe get us a tin of self primer" when your at t bookies". as he sat grinding up te ingredients for the latest "Sam Barlows green".!!!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, DRP said:

I have a handbowl given to me by a famous canal painter over 20 years ago.

2.  If these bowls are going to be used, do you paint the inside, or just rely on the galvanised surface to protect it ?

This is a matter of choice, and probably dependant on the quality of preparation and paint. I have used handbowls for years and my preference is to leave the inside unpainted as it does not take much for the paint to become scratched and then start lifting, and there are few things more annoying that bits of paint all over the washing up. Most handbowls are sold as decorative items so it is hard to find them unpainted inside, but it does not take long to remove it :captain:

I've painted many handbowl stuff over the years, it's your call whether tompaint the inside or not. I usually do, but most of my output is for the commemorative market. These days I use Upol etch primer, available from automotive paint suppliers. You could also look at Craftmaster etch primer.....strip, abraded and de-grease before spraying. Both come in handy aerosol cans. If I can help further, just ask.

Dave