Lancaster canal towpath

bigstevecat

Featured Posts

Morning all. Can anyone tell me if the Lancaster canal towpath is in good nick throughout the full length.  I and a few pals are looking to do a sponsored bike ride from Preston to the end of navigation but need to know if it's possible on the towpath. We promise not to race along.

Unless it's changed for the better this would be very hard work. A few years ago I walked form the terminus in Preston up to Bilsborrow and the second half was very, very muddy, admittedly in early March. It was quite hard work walking so I really would not want to do it by bike. You certainly wont be racing along!

I'm very familiar with the Lancaster canal. The section from Galgate to Lancaster can be hard doing  when it's been wet. From Lancaster to Carnforth it's easy peasy. Don't know about the other sections. On a mountain bike or hybrid it's easy peasy but clearly it depends on your fitness.