Park Head, Dudley Tunnel end- ok to moor?

nb blackbeauty

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, nb blackbeauty said:

We're heading to the Stourbridge rally and thinking of overnighting above Park Head locks as we've not been up there before, and as a change  from Merry Hell. Is it safe to moor there? Any local knowledge much appreciated.

It's a slightly odd place - a bit of waste ground converting into parkland, popular with dog walkers but still odd! On the one hand, the general principle is that you can get trouble anywhere and that it will probably be fine because 99.9% of the natives are friendly, is valid. But on the other hand, the locals are not accustomed to boats being moored there so you might attract interest as a lone boat. But with the rally, perhaps you won't be alone? 

My abiding memory is of the thick black gunge stirred up from the bottom, which REALLY stinks! And more goose shit than you can shake a stick at. We didn't stay the night.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

The area seems reasonably pleasant, though I suppose it's safety in numbers. Is Merry Hill considered a 'safe' mooring?

I think the difference is that boats routinely moor at Merry Hill. IMO it's all about normality vs a boat moored in an unusual place.

12 hours ago, nicknorman said:

It's a slightly odd place - a bit of waste ground converting into parkland, popular with dog walkers but still odd! On the one hand, the general principle is that you can get trouble anywhere and that it will probably be fine because 99.9% of the natives are friendly, is valid. But on the other hand, the locals are not accustomed to boats being moored there so you might attract interest as a lone boat. But with the rally, perhaps you won't be alone? 

My abiding memory is of the thick black gunge stirred up from the bottom, which REALLY stinks! And more goose shit than you can shake a stick at. We didn't stay the night.

I've only been there once, during the afternoon on last year's BCN Challenge, but got the same impression of it as nicknorman.

As it has the Dudley tunnel on one side and three locks on the other, I doubt it sees a lot of traffic, so maybe it's low on the priority list for dredging.

If you moor there you might wish to stay on the boat after dark, to avoid treading in something. The Canada geese love the place.

We have never gone up the three locks but we were in the area yesterday when we did a boat trip through the canal from Park Head to the dudley canal trust centre on one of their boats 

What a trip it was, absolutely fascinating and made all the more interesting by the commentary provided by the skipper. I think it was one of the best canal experiences I have had and I would recommend it to everyone 

They take you by bus from the canal trust premises to the other end where you board the boat 

Magic! 

Haggis 

1 hour ago, haggis said:

We have never gone up the three locks but we were in the area yesterday when we did a boat trip through the canal from Park Head to the dudley canal trust centre on one of their boats 

What a trip it was, absolutely fascinating and made all the more interesting by the commentary provided by the skipper. I think it was one of the best canal experiences I have had and I would recommend it to everyone 

They take you by bus from the canal trust premises to the other end where you board the boat 

Magic! 

Haggis 

We did the full tunnel trip like you back in May. As you said, a very enjoyable trip, I would recommend it to all. 

To the OP, I looked at your suggested mooring site, and thought it looked ok. It might depend on the time of the year and the weather as to whether the local yoof appear. If dark and raining it’s likely to be quiet. 

29 minutes ago, nb blackbeauty said:

Overnighted in the grazebrook arm Monday night it was very quiet due probably to the high winds and late in season. But must say it was a lovely location and we were in a sheltered spot.

Glad to hear you both survived (and the cat!).  99% of the time you'll probably be fine there but it's not the safest of areas.