Faux Suede lining ?

W+T

Featured Posts

As i am so close to lining the boat out i am now on to looking at what to go for to cover the ply. 

I am not keen on the Faux leather/ette and more drawn to the Faux Suede as in this link below, feels warmer and less chance of condensation although the boat is fully insulated at bestto reduce that problem. I am going to pop over to get a sample soon as they are not far from where i live so i can see actually what it is like first.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUEDETRIM-...53.m1438.l2649

Question is has anybody on here used this one before or similar spec to it as i see it is lined on the back of the foam inner.

Cheers

Wayne :)

Edited by W+T

25 minutes ago, W+T said:

As i am so close to lining the boat out i am now on to looking at what to go for to cover the ply. 

I am not keen on the Faux leather/ette and more drawn to the Faux Suede as in this link below, feels warmer and less chance of condensation although the boat is fully insulated at bestto reduce that problem. I am going to pop over to get a sample soon as they are not far from where i live so i can see actually what it is like first.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUEDETRIM-...53.m1438.l2649

Question is has anybody on here used this one before or similar spec to it as i see it is lined on the back of the foam inner.

Cheers

Wayne :)

I used to be in the upholstery cleaning business and have done loads of sofas, suites and car upholstery covered with this.  Like a lot of synthetic fabrics it does clean quite easily but gets dirty easily as well - particularly in wet environments...   

37 minutes ago, Neil2 said:

I used to be in the upholstery cleaning business and have done loads of sofas, suites and car upholstery covered with this.  Like a lot of synthetic fabrics it does clean quite easily but gets dirty easily as well - particularly in wet environments...   

Hi kida, so a bit of good and bad. easy clean but gets dirty easy, but then its on the walls and a quick wipe down now and then should keep it good ?

Would you say it is worse than Leatherette, just dont like the feel or looks of that stuff. 

14 hours ago, W+T said:

Hi kida, so a bit of good and bad. easy clean but gets dirty easy, but then its on the walls and a quick wipe down now and then should keep it good ?

Would you say it is worse than Leatherette, just dont like the feel or looks of that stuff. 

Here's the thing about mock suede, it's basically what they call a polyester microfibre.  In other words it's the same stuff they use in those miracle cleaning cloths... A cleaning cloth has to be efficient at picking up dirt... you see where I'm going with this.  

DFS have churned out thousands of mock suede sofas and I have met many dissatisfied customers who can't understand why it's got so dirty in less than a year.  The warranty department must be a busy place. 

There's a version of mock suede called Alcantara which is a blend of polyurethane and polyester this seems to hold up much better and it's what you generally find used in car upholstery - headlinings are often Alcantara so a similar use to what you're thinking of.  Obviously some form of shiny plastic will wipe clean much easier, but if you can get Alcantara that would be the best compromise I would say.  The down side is I bet it is quite expensive compared to the "cooking" stuff.

Whatever you get, I would make it as dark a shade as you can get away with, in a small boat.

Some time back when my dad did a pontoon coversion he did the roof & cabin sides with a hessian wallpaper & painted it wit anti condensation paint it still looked goo 10 years later although it had been painted over a couple of times

6 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Here's the thing about mock suede, it's basically what they call a polyester microfibre.  In other words it's the same stuff they use in those miracle cleaning cloths... A cleaning cloth has to be efficient at picking up dirt... you see where I'm going with this.  

DFS have churned out thousands of mock suede sofas and I have met many dissatisfied customers who can't understand why it's got so dirty in less than a year.  The warranty department must be a busy place. 

There's a version of mock suede called Alcantara which is a blend of polyurethane and polyester this seems to hold up much better and it's what you generally find used in car upholstery - headlinings are often Alcantara so a similar use to what you're thinking of.  Obviously some form of shiny plastic will wipe clean much easier, but if you can get Alcantara that would be the best compromise I would say.  The down side is I bet it is quite expensive compared to the "cooking" stuff.

Whatever you get, I would make it as dark a shade as you can get away with, in a small boat.

I just called the sellers in the link i sent above and asked what it is made from and what type it is. They said it is made from the same as the Alcantra ( polyurethane and polyester ) just a different manufacturer. 

I will go get a sample and have a chat with there to double check.

3 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Some time back when my dad did a pontoon coversion he did the roof & cabin sides with a hessian wallpaper & painted it wit anti condensation paint it still looked goo 10 years later although it had been painted over a couple of times

I think i know the paper you mean, not seen that around for donkeys years. Worth a thought on that idea ;)

1 hour ago, W+T said:

I think i know the paper you mean, not seen that around for donkeys years. Worth a thought on that idea ;)

I worked at a place in the late 70’s where they were creating a new disco (that’s what we called them in the 70’s!) and they used painted hessian on the walls, but they used real hessian. The decorator avoided pasting the last 1” of each drop and left a large overlap. As it dried so it shrank and once it had he then cut through the overlap with a straight edge and Stanley knife, pasting the edges down for a neat butt joint. (Which then shrank, but that’s another story.)

Once painted it was a good and pretty unusual finish. 

18 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I worked at a place in the late 70’s where they were creating a new disco (that’s what we called them in the 70’s!) and they used painted hessian on the walls, but they used real hessian. The decorator avoided pasting the last 1” of each drop and left a large overlap. As it dried so it shrank and once it had he then cut through the overlap with a straight edge and Stanley knife, pasting the edges down for a neat butt joint. (Which then shrank, but that’s another story.)

Once painted it was a good and pretty unusual finish. 

found this Hessian 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10oz-Hessian-Jute-Burlap-Fabric-Cloth-Craft-Sacks-Upholstery-Wedding-36-Wide-/191472429345?var=&hash=item2c94a56921:g:UgcAAOSwx6pYnJnk

If this glues down with the usual contact adhesives used then i could paint it diffferent colours maybe then. I would go for Cream first.

Getting convinced to try it but worried about if i dont like it, like i do lol 

Just found a fire retardant one aswell, i remember a thread on here about this type of covering.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hessian-Fabric-Fire-Retardant-Jute-Cloth-Burlap-17-Colours-FREE-DELIVERY-/302252348183?var=&hash=item465fa4d317:g:sDMAAOSwol5YyB3u

If it isnt painted then would that attract mildew etc to grow ?

Edited by W+T

1 hour ago, W+T said:

found this Hessian 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10oz-Hessian-Jute-Burlap-Fabric-Cloth-Craft-Sacks-Upholstery-Wedding-36-Wide-/191472429345?var=&hash=item2c94a56921:g:UgcAAOSwx6pYnJnk

If this glues down with the usual contact adhesives used then i could paint it diffferent colours maybe then. I would go for Cream first.

Getting convinced to try it but worried about if i dont like it, like i do lol 

Just found a fire retardant one aswell, i remember a thread on here about this type of covering.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hessian-Fabric-Fire-Retardant-Jute-Cloth-Burlap-17-Colours-FREE-DELIVERY-/302252348183?var=&hash=item465fa4d317:g:sDMAAOSwol5YyB3u

If it isnt painted then would that attract mildew etc to grow ?

That fire retardant one is cheaper than the standard one unless I’ve misread something. As they’re a proper shop with a real landline number why not give them a call tomorrow?

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

That fire retardant one is cheaper than the standard one unless I’ve misread something. As they’re a proper shop with a real landline number why not give them a call tomorrow?

I see it as the non fire retardant is around £4pm and the retardant is £10, unless you are looking at the width as some are 36 inch wide and some around 1.2m wide

Looking at this paint for it, shame all i can find is white so i would have to coat it another of choice.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rempro-Thermal-Paint-Anti-Mould-Condensation-Insulating-with-Glass-Bubble-Tech-/132331796283?var=&hash=item1ecf96f73b:g:X98AAOSwh7tZunv3

3 minutes ago, W+T said:

I see it as the non fire retardant is around £4pm and the retardant is £10, unless you are looking at the width as some are 36 inch wide and some around 1.2m wide

I selected...

• Per Metre
  • Red

And the price came out at £9.99. Is that not two quid a metre?

That’s the fire-retardant one - second link. 

Oh... no, it isn’t. It’s 9.99/m I now see. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

I selected...

• Per Metre
  • Red

And the price came out at £9.99. Is that not two quid a metre?

Its does yep, untill you add it to the basket and the real price shows at $9.95, it is in in mutiples per m.

This bloody cheap at £25 for 10m, not fire retardant but less than the £100.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HESSIAN-FABRIC-Upholstery-Weddings-Craft-72-wide-10oz-BURLAP-JUTE/291158213545?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=590308486089&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

doesnt look as hairy either. What happnes then when you paint it with all the hairy bits stick out, do they flatten down ?

Just thought to have a look at where i was going to get the Suedette from and they do the lot, aswell as cushion foam that i will need sooooon :) i hope lol.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/diyfoamupholsterysupplies/_i.html?_nkw=hessian&submit=GO

going to get a sample of each weight and give a coat or two of paint and see how it looks ;)

Come by this now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-COTTON-DUCK-CANVAS-FABRIC-7oz-146cm-57-wide-per-metre-/131878584851?var=&hash=item1eb4938213:g:9igAAOSwCGVX3~XO

Would this need painting also to keep mildew and mould away as it is not a natural fabric like the Hessian, although it is a little cotton? 

Also it is waterproof so that should help prevent from damp

Edited by W+T

You’re obviously having a great conversation with yourself here Wayne, and I hate to interrupt... but to answer the question about the hairy bits, when rollered most of them lay down flat. You can then lightly sand the surface to remove any that haven’t and give it another coat. 

Have fun with your samples and feel free to continue your chat ;)

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

You’re obviously having a great conversation with yourself here Wayne, and I hate to interrupt... but to answer the question about the hairy bits, when rollered most of them lay down flat. You can then lightly sand the surface to remove any that haven’t and give it another coat. 

Have fun with your samples and feel free to continue your chat ;)

I just went to bed singing this song

Nobody likes me
Everybody hates me
I think I'll go eat worms!
Big fat juicy ones
Eensie weensy squeensy ones
See how they wiggle and squirm!

Down goes the first one
down goes the second one
Oh how they wiggle and squirm!
Up comes the first one
up comes the second one
Oh how they wiggle and squirm! 

I bite off the heads
and suck out the juice,
And throw the skins away!
Nobody knows how fat I grow,
On worms three times a day!

Nobody likes me
everybody hates me
I think I'll go eat worms!
Big fat juicy ones 
Eensie weensy squeensy ones,
See how they wiggle and squirm! 

:):)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, W+T said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-COTTON-DUCK-CANVAS-FABRIC-7oz-146cm-57-wide-per-metre-/131878584851?var=&hash=item1eb4938213:g:9igAAOSwCGVX3~XO

Would this need painting also to keep mildew and mould away as it is not a natural fabric like the Hessian, although it is a little cotton? 

Also it is waterproof so that should help prevent from damp

Surely this is 100% cotton, and therefore completely natural? Also, I don't see where it says that it is waterproof?  I think you would need to paint it.  In my experience sewing, anything sold as craft fabric is usually of low quality.

I don't know how much you will need, but this place sells loomstate (basically unbleached and needs washing) and if you buy more than 3 metres the price reduces, and again at 10 metres. Loomstate should be OK if you are going to paint it.

http://www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk/fabrics/section-b-cotton-calico-loomstate-cottons-canvas?limit=36