BBC last night

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

I certainly saw Owl, but Koukouvagia is not someone I know, so actually, at the bits showing Braunston, I was looking out to see you and Alan Fincher on your boats, because I might recognize your boats by name, at least.

edited for useless spelling

Edited by Stilllearning
Spellung

26 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

Surprised to see the photo of Aber on  the screen , it’s the only one we have been able to find.

Was it this one?

http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw192.3.1.11.1

v0_web.jpg

Depending on how recent you mean, I am aware of at least one other when it was still working for BW on maintenance, (because I took it!).

Incidentally the photographer of the one above is much better known for railway photography, having hundreds of published photos, and authoring or editing several books on railways.

Edited by alan_fincher

2 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

I certainly saw Owl, but Koukouvagia is not someone I know, so actually, at the bits showing Braunston, I was looking out to see you and Alan Fincher on your boats, because I might recognize your boats by name, at least.

Neither I nor Mike the Boileraman actually appear, bur each of our boats just about makes it into a few frames at the very end, provided you don't blink and miss it.

Reginald is moored on the outside of the boats at about 27:48
They boat past Flamingo (and others) at about 28:06.  The lady playing fiddle on narrow boat Birmingham is allybsc, formerly of this forum.

But boats like Fulbourne and (particularly) Owl are forum boats that have a much more staring role.  It is Jim "Koukouvagia" actually steering Owl.

3 hours ago, Stilllearning said:

I may have missed previous threads about this programme, but anyway.  I thought it was good,quite well researched and informative, what do others think? The presenter seemed intelligent and well informed  too.

What programme was that ?

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Was it this one?

http://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw192.3.1.11.1

v0_web.jpg

Depending on how recent you mean, I am aware of at least one other when it was still working for BW on maintenance, (because I took it!).

Incidentally the photographer of the one above is much better known for railway photography, having hundreds of published photos, and authoring or editing several books on railways.

Yes we got a good copy this some years ago from the museum in Gloucester, if you have one I would be very pleased to have a copy of it if this was feasable.

8 hours ago, allybsc said:

I'm still here...occasionally :-)

So you are!

Seeing you on there made me remember that less music playing ended up getting done than was planned.

Still gutted to have missed Alvecote due to son knackering himself.  It is a very bad injury, and he has just been signed off for another 4 weeks, so meanwhile nowt is happening with the boats. :(

18 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I was half-watching it and thought much the same. The presenter had a well-informed teacher though. Did you not recognise Koukouvagia and his (ex) boat Owl from this forum making a major contribution to the programme?

Actually, there were some real experts who were consulted for the programme - Barry Argent and Laurence Hogg, especially.

I was asked if I'd like to talk about FMC on camera, but I knew every mistake or slip of the tongue I made, however small, would be pounced by the forum.  So I declined :P

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Tuscan said:

Surprised to see the photo of Aber on  the screen , it’s the only one we have been able to find.

So have you not seen the photograph of ABER and STAVERTON tied at Sutton's in August 1957, owned by 'British Waterways' and captained by J. Bray ? This photograph was published in Waterways World magazine September 1984 page 50, and is credited to Mrs. H. Weekes :captain:

3 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

So have you not seen the photograph of ABER and STAVERTON tied at Sutton's in August 1957, owned by 'British Waterways' and captained by J. Bray ? This photograph was published in Waterways World magazine September 1984 page 50, and is credited to Mrs. H. Weekes :captain:

No I did contact them previously will try again

7 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

Actually, there were some real experts who were consulted for the programme - Barry Argent and Laurence Hogg, especially.

I was asked if I'd like to talk about FMC on camera, but I knew every mistake or slip of the tongue I made, however small, would be pounced by the forum.  So I declined :P

Well now you mention it...... where was your bowler hat and neckerchief?  ;)

I was the person the BBC contacted and asked to talk about the "boat graveyard" at Harefield. I took the view that all publicity is good publicity, and it was great that the Beeb felt there was an appetite for a canal history programme. Prime time on the BBC is a great spot for viewer numbers but its not the time when an in depth programme would get aired. The coverage by Gogglebox was probably the level Sat Night TV is aimed at http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gogglebox/on-demand/.... The BBC team doing the research and recording were genuinely really interested in the site and whole local story - from the first "Bricks by Boat"chapter (as featured in the latest Narrowboat mag), to the final chapter and the boats sinking in the Colne Valley gravel pits.

I was supposed to be advising the crew behind the camera, so rocked up unshaven and in scruffy togs. I ended up being interviewed by Mary Ann Ochota in front of the camera, so all a bit impromptu... Having to say the same thing over and over as they filmed from different angles wasn't the easiest thing for my brain to cope with!

Anyway, the main thing from my perspective is that the Harefield filming "made the cut", and so got some great airtime. The BBC were genuinely interested in the site and the story, and I spent a nice amount of time with Mary Ann, showing her other boat remnants off camera too. So, we have gained some good allies and the possibility of expanding on the story in the future.

• Greenie 3

On 16/10/2017 at 20:46, Murflynn said:

am I the only one who feels that this type of documentary comes across as trite and simplistic, possibly suitable for GCSE studies but not much more?

without the personal human interest aspect, for example of Pru and Tim, I quickly lose interest.

I find factual and informative documentaries like this far more interesting and watchable than the uninformed twaddle we get from Tim and Pru.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I find factual and informative documentaries like this far more interesting and watchable than the uninformed twaddle we get from Tim and Pru.

I agree.  I thought the presenter did a good job and, rightly  or not, gave the impression she knew her subject.  Just a little bit of "hands-on", rather than the "can I have a go" bits you see in so many documentaries.  I can watch any number of programmes like this, also Mark Williams' programmes on industrial history, as mentioned above, are also well worth watching, as opposed to most 'celebrity'-led stuff.