Going through tunnels

Featured Posts

On 15/10/2017 at 17:05, Bee said:

Tunnels (and very narrow channels) are tricky, the boat does get pulled into the side, its not just imagination. A bit of speed seems to help as does fierce concentration.

I will give her a few more revs and see if that helps ,not going through any tunnels this year just going out for a weekend or to before winter sets in thanks for your help I learn something every day and been we have been boating for 8 years but didn't know a bit more speed might help 

Edited by Dave Bebb

5 minutes ago, Dave Bebb said:

I will give her a few more revs and see if that helps ,not going through any tunnels this year just going out for a weekend or to before winter sets in thanks for your help I learn something every day and been we have been boating for 8 years but didn't know a bit more speed might help 

At the risk of stating the obvious, in a narrow channel it is vital for the boat to remain central.

Any deviation from the centre will result in a concentration of the water equivalent of the aeroplane wing effect as the water speeds down the narrower side, with the boat being drawn to that side.

George

39 minutes ago, Dave Bebb said:

Why are you consistently ignoring the question "which tunnels are you having this problem in?"?

And you appear not to have acknowledged all the posts advising more and better lights. Even just putting on all the cabin lights helps with steering.

10 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Tunnel vision can be practised at home by looking at the sky through a toilet roll tube for an hour or so. :closedeyes:

Indeed, flatten the lower bit and it looks like a tunnel view.

Flatten it, sit on it,  twist it and straighten it out again......it a training run for Braunston

• Greenie 1

Going upstream through Chirk tunnel I had to rub the starboard bow up against the towpath and keep the port rear up against the tunnel wall, a bit touch and go to keep off the wall. Soon after I saw a nb with a wheelbarrow wheel on the port front cabin top corner, owner used it regularly on that particular tunnel, run wheel along tunnel side which simplifies steering and saves damaging cratch covers and pramhoods. 

21 minutes ago, Paul C said:

It would depend which tunnel......I have a funny feeling I know which tunnel the OP is having troubles with. Its a shame he won't tell us which.

I was wondering if he was seeking a solution to an imagined problem...

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

It would depend which tunnel......I have a funny feeling I know which tunnel the OP is having troubles with. Its a shame he won't tell us which.

Could you tell us which tunnel you think might be problematic, the suspense is killing me!

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why are you consistently ignoring the question "which tunnels are you having this problem in?"?

And you appear not to have acknowledged all the posts advising more and better lights. Even just putting on all the cabin lights helps with steering.

Sorry all tunnels a have problems with ,well not all small one are ok just the long ones 

Sounds like you have two problems:

1) your cratch cover is vulnerable - remove it to do tunnels/cruising, or rearrange how its mounted to remove the vulnerability

2) your vision in tunnels isn't good enough - fit better light(s)

Also, a bit more speed will help with steering, since a greater flow is going over the rudder.

48 minutes ago, Dave Bebb said:

Sorry all tunnels a have problems with ,well not all small one are ok just the long ones 

If you are having problems steering a narrowboat through tunnels capable of two way traffic (apart from when actually passing a boat coming the other way) then, without trying to be offensive, the problem lies with you or your boat.

I presume your boat has tiller steering and not a wheel?

George

49 minutes ago, Dave Bebb said:

Netherton tunnel is one of the longest tunnels on the system and also wide with towpath. I think your trolley wheels will end up clipping the ears and shouldes of walkers. 

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Netherton tunnel is one of the longest tunnels on the system and also wide with towpath. I think your trolley wheels will end up clipping the ears and shouldes of walkers. 

Yes would not work well in Netherton, an example of why it would be nice to understand what tunnels the OP as has issues with.  Wide and narrow are quite different and there are examples of both with towpaths.