Going through tunnels

Featured Posts

How's about getting a couple of yacht sized fenders (6-8" diameter)  and deploying them for and aft on the side away from the near wall. On both sides might cause problems for oncoming boats. Pipe fenders might be to narrow to avoid scraping the cabin top.

IMO the natural thing is to go too fast in a tunnel. The invert tends to be cleaner that the canal proper - so he boat tends to go faster if you don't throttle down. OR deprived of normal sensor indicators, you think you're going too slowly and speed up. The difference between a comfortable speed where the boat naturally keeps a central station and bouncing off the walls is very fine indeed - that's where a good tunnel light plus all cabin lights on helps. (I use two tunnel lights, one lighting the roof and the other in the 'normal' position, but it's frowned upon by the purists... 

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

I'd go for much larger diameter wheels like motorbike wheels,far less likely to snag on things, plus you could just set the throttle, go below for a snooze while the boat rumbles through on its own.

Like the old tunnel tugs?

Capture.JPG

• Greenie 1

The possible problem that the tunnel tugs didn't have, the Op I presume wants to cruise a good amount of the system the tunnel tugs didn't go any distance from either end of the tunnel  I would guess trying to pass through a "wide" lock with a std narrow boat & a boat with a similar set up to the tunnel tugs would be interesting 1 making the detachable & strong enough would be a "hassle" to have to assemble/remove just to pass though a tunnel

It is not at all uncommon to see boats with a couple of full sized push bikes on the roof of a narrow boat.

Simply move one to each side, with the wheels projecting beyond the gunwale line, then secure frames/handlebars to the handrails with rope or ratchet straps.

Bingo, and provided you don't rush things the bikes should still be usable as you come out the other end.

The technique should not be used in Gosty HIll, or Froghall tunnels though, for obvious reasons.

9 minutes ago, weeble said:

Never mind the roof corners, parts of the Stratford canal were so shallow last month that I threatened to fit wheels to the bottom of the boat.

I found the same. The only way I could get through six or seven bridge holes was to take a run at them then shut the throttle just as I ground to a halt, and let my stern wave catch up and lift me through. 

There's a bridge just before Wooton  that going south we just stop wait and have a cup of tea. When the flush from the lock above comes through we inch forward. 90 mins last year to throughGoing north we go hard push the water through the bridge and then ride the wave. Blind going south so can't do that.

been pulled through it before as well.

if you run a pair wheels down someone's cabin in a tunnel as you pass After grinding them on the side you will have more to fix than your paint, if the boats too high ballast it .

On 10/15/2017 at 16:35, Mac of Cygnet said:

The OP's boat must have a very square profile, i.e. not much 'tumblehome' (is that right?)  if the corners of the roof contact the tunnel before the gunwale does, in most tunnels at least.  Even in Standedge, where I routinely protect my leading top corners, it's always lower down (and usually the back deck rails) which get scratched.

yes that what a thought the cabin is more up right .thats Liverpool boats for you ,would have been better if the cabin walls were not so square they do come in but not enough thats why the corners touch the tunnel walls where the tunnel curves over 

46 minutes ago, RLWP said:

There are hundreds of Liverpool boats on the cut that don't seem to have the problem you are trying to solve

Richard

And if the OP's Liverpool Boats boat is the one in his avatar, there is nowt unusual about its cabin shape, so (provided that prmh hood is down!), should pass most "normal tunnels" without danger to upper cabin sides.

As has been said there are a number of "unusual" tunnels where even a slightly "boxier" cabin could be at risk.  I would certainly include Ashtead and even Curdworth where our "Evans & Son" boat could lose paint from handrails, (and obviously Froghall, and possibly Gosty Hill), but such tunnels are rare for most boats.

I realise, starting late to the thread, I have not picked up on which tunnels OP has had problems in - I'll now go and skim through to see if that is stated!

EDIT

No, I can't seethe question answered, though I can see it asked!

Dave Bebb, Could you please tell us which tunnels you have so far had problems in - thanks.

Edited by alan_fincher

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

And if the OP's Liverpool Boats boat is the one in his avatar, there is nowt unusual about its cabin shape, so (provided that prmh hood is down!), should pass most "normal tunnels" without danger to upper cabin sides.

As has been said there are a number of "unusual" tunnels where even a slightly "boxier" cabin could be at risk.  I would certainly include Ashtead and even Curdworth where our "Evans & Son" boat could lose paint from handrails, (and obviously Froghall, and possibly Gosty Hill), but such tunnels are rare for most boats.

I realise, starting late to the thread, I have not picked up on which tunnels OP has had problems in - I'll now go and skim through to see if that is stated!

EDIT

No, I can't seethe question answered, though I can see it asked!

Dave Bebb, Could you please tell us which tunnels you have so far had problems in - thanks.

Curdworth is evil, that bump is just waiting to get you and what would the chances of a wheel being in the right place to save you

Absolutely do not fit those wheels Dave. Terrible idea.

Personally I love tunnels. Just calculated I have transited over 50 miles and spent over 16 hours in tunnels in the past two years. Not a scratch on the handrails.

Judging by the quality of that photo in the first post what the OP actually needs is something to steady his hand on the tiller. 14 pints of lager is a medically proven remedy.

JP

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Absolutely do not fit those wheels Dave. Terrible idea.

Personally I love tunnels. Just calculated I have transited over 50 miles and spent over 16 hours in tunnels in the past two years. Not a scratch on the handrails.

Judging by the quality of that photo in the first post what the OP actually needs is something to steady his hand on the tiller. 14 pints of lager is a medically proven remedy.

JP

Well, yes - but Vulpes roof is only three foot wide

Richard

I had trouble adjusting to tunnels, but as has been said, tilt your light up, then keep the spot in the middle like a video game, Not as much concentration needed, but does become boring in longer tunnels, but makes the job easy.

image.jpeg

I had the same trouble as the OP, with a new expensive cratch cover. The old cover did tend to catch on tunnel walls, so I made some protection with two fenders and a bit of rope going round the front, holding the fenders in position at the vulnerable corners. The only photo I have of it just about shows the setup. I have to agree with others about the LED tunnel lights, the problem has gone away when you can see what you're doing!

Cratch protection.JPG