retired skipper looking to crew

Jason-m

Featured Posts

I’m a retired yacht delivery skipper from the Caribbean and for health reasons I’m moving back to UK.
I can’t afford to buy or rent a place here in London, the prices are through the roof, and I’m not really a house or flat person anyway, so I’ve been looking at narrow boats as an affordable alternative.

I’ve lived on boats for almost 50 years so I could easily see myself living on a canal boat, not sure about the winter!
What I’d like is to crew for a while until I can figure out what I want.

But I’ve been searching the internet and finding boats looking for crew on the canal forums, for free, is difficult.
There’s a new website / forum devoted to canal boats looking for crew.

A completely free meeting place for canal boats and crew. That’s all it does.  I’ve put an ad on there.
Have a look.--   http://canalboatcrew.co.uk/

There’s also a “Romance” section for single people, also like me, that are looking for that special person to be on the canals with.
Get in touch, check it out.

Edited by Jason-m

Following a report I've had a look at this, and it has been before the mods for a little time - the link is a new forum that is canal related and doesn't flag any warning bells from AVAST (my anti-virus software) so the post stands. 

Posting this as an informative and to bump it up again

Patrick

I seem to remember someone posting saying they were returning to the UK from the Caribbean a few months back. Maybe the OP is that person. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Our background was lumpy water sailing and it was very common for yacht owners to use skippers or crew for boat movements. It seems a bit different on canals however with limited crewing opportunities compared with lumpy water boats. I am sure there are opportunities but they may take some digging out. Best of luck and I hope you find someone to give you some experience of the canals. It is far, far more relaxed than ocean sailing! We miss lots of aspects of yachting (navigation, tides, new harbours etc etc) but not the reefing and the hours and hours spent converting the boat from marina liveaboard status to 'ready for sea'. The cut is just so easy!