Portable radios

Col_T

Featured Posts

Some interesting ideas. I was going to do a long fused wire but I think it falls foul of boat safety regs. I then looked into doing something along the lines of Ian's suggestion. I was thinking house alarm battery plus a box of tricks to recharge when the power is on. Worked out expensive so it's either leave the power on or a dab radio that will quickly autotune whenever we visit the boat.

Re Tim" question my father started life as a plumber and ended it as an electrical engineer. He always turned the gas and electricity off, unplugged the TV aerial and drained the water tanks when away for more than a weekend. After he died my Mum kept the tradition alive.

6 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

I seem to recall that anything directly attached to the batteries has to be safety related. I'M abroad so difficult to expand from a phone

The list of exceptions includes “any other equipment where the manufacturer’s instructions indicate or specifically require direct connection to a battery”

11 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Some interesting ideas. I was going to do a long fused wire but I think it falls foul of boat safety regs. I then looked into doing something along the lines of Ian's suggestion. I was thinking house alarm battery plus a box of tricks to recharge when the power is on. Worked out expensive so it's either leave the power on or a dab radio that will quickly autotune whenever we visit the boat.

Re Tim" question my father started life as a plumber and ended it as an electrical engineer. He always turned the gas and electricity off, unplugged the TV aerial and drained the water tanks when away for more than a weekend. After he died my Mum kept the tradition alive.

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

It doesn’t :)

So long as the fuse is at the battery end of the cable, not the equipment end. :)

On 15/10/2017 at 16:56, Nightwatch said:

I have a question. The radio is on and good quality sound etc. When you turn on the telly the radio goes off. Turn the telly off and the radio comes back on. Whys that then?

Our cheapo Bush DAB portable works fine inside the boat most of the time, other times it has to be elevated to the window to get reception.

We have the same issue with the radio as Nightwatch except it is with my rechargeable battery charger - plug it in and radio goes quiet, unplug it and all is normal.  I assume it is RFI from the unshielded electronics in the charger.  maybe the electronic gubbins in his TV are not as well shielded as they should be?

Other suggestions welcomed!

Edited by Ratkatcher
Spelling

On 10/20/2017 at 06:12, WotEver said:

The list of exceptions includes “any other equipment where the manufacturer’s instructions indicate or specifically require direct connection to a battery”

OK, thanks for that. It gives me another option if I can find the manufacturers instructions. No doubt they are available on-line somewhere.