Managed To Avoid A Nasty Accident Today

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

there are certainly some restrictions on some insurance policies

On my cruiser the policy states :

4.  Usage It is warranted the Craft shall be used for private pleasure purposes only and not let out for hire or charter or reward. 
It is warranted that no single-handed overnight passages are undertaken.

On the sailing Cat, the policy states that passages of no more than 18 hours duration shall be made if single handed.

ABP's VTS manager replied to my enquiry as follows

''There are no requirements for a vessel less than 20 metres to contact VTS, however there is a requirement for you to monitor the relevant VHF channel of the area that you are in.

As a matter of good practice though VTS are there for the safety of all river users and as such we can not look out for your safety if we do not know when you are on the river and as such if an incident was to happen we would not know who you are and more importantly how may persons are on board.''

Therefore no mandatory calling to VTS required, unless your boat happens to be longer than 20 metres . But it seems VTS would be pleased to hear from us.

16 minutes ago, MartynG said:

ABP's VTS manager replied to my enquiry as follows

''There are no requirements for a vessel less than 20 metres to contact VTS, however there is a requirement for you to monitor the relevant VHF channel of the area that you are in.

As a matter of good practice though VTS are there for the safety of all river users and as such we can not look out for your safety if we do not know when you are on the river and as such if an incident was to happen we would not know who you are and more importantly how may persons are on board.''

Therefore no mandatory calling to VTS required, unless your boat happens to be longer than 20 metres . But it seems VTS would be pleased to hear from us.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

Interesting and at odds with the APB written requirements (of 12 metres), I wonder what would happen if there was an incident involving (say) a 15 metre boat that had not ‘called in’ because he was told he did not have to if below 20 metres.

Would you be prepared to contact your source and ask if the 12 metre rule has been superceded ?

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

Interesting and at odds with the APB written requirements (of 12 metres), I wonder what would happen if there was an incident involving (say) a 15 metre boat that had not ‘called in’ because he was told he did not have to if below 20 metres.

Would you be prepared to contact your source and ask if the 12 metre rule has been superceded ?

I have sent you a message via this forum with contact details for the VTS manager in case you wish to contact him. From his out of office email response this evening he is unavailable for a week.

10 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I have sent you a message via this forum with contact details for the VTS manager in case you wish to contact him. From his out of office email response this evening he is unavailable for a week.

Appreciate it - Thanks for that, I  suggested  that you contact him to give him continuity, but no problem, I will do so.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Appreciate it - Thanks for that, I  suggested  that you contact him to give him continuity, but no problem, I will do so.

Who's really bothered, I go up and down the Trent all the time, no life jacket, no VHF radio, no other crew member in a 18mtr boat, probably like a lot of other single handlers. Your seem to be making a big issue over nothing with this two crew, VHF By-Law rubbish.

I will ask though getting back to the original incident, why didn't you just power in?

The lock was empty, you went in 6ft as you say, so you would have to brought the boat to stop(time wasted) before you went into reverse to get her out.

Your boat looks quite small(30ft ish} and the lock gates close slowly so there was ample room for you to put the power on and stop before hitting the bottom gates(these are big locks) 

Looks like you've just got a bee in your bonnet with CaRT. The Northern locks are quite easy if you know what your doing and haven't got a chip on your shoulder with CaRT .

Edited by PD1964

6 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Who's really bothered, I go up and down the Trent all the time, no life jacket, no VHF radio, no other crew member in a 18mtr boat, probably like a lot of other single handlers. Your seem to be making a big issue over nothing with this two crew, VHF By-Law rubbish.

You are entirely at liberty to break the law should you so wish, and, if you made use of the Trent below Gainsborough that is exactly what you are doing. You may not be aware that  this ‘Bye-Law rubbish’ is nothing to do with C&RT.

I will ask though getting back to the original incident, why didn't you just power in?

The lock was empty, you went in 6ft as you say, so you would have to brought the boat to stop(time wasted) before you went into reverse to get her out.

I was at ‘creep’ speed, and it would have taken almost as long to accelerate as it did to get into  astern, with the problem of getting 33 feet of boat thru a narrowing gap, rather than 6 feet out of the narrowing gap.

Your boat looks quite small(30ft ish} and the lock gates close slowly so there was ample room for you to put the power on and stop before hitting the bottom gates(these are big locks)

39 feet (12 metres) x 14 feet beam

Looks like you've just got a bee in your bonnet with CaRT. The Northern locks are quite easy if you know what your doing and haven't got a chip on your shoulder with CaRT .

I have been boating on the Trent since the early 80’s, have my ‘home mooring’ at Newark and have successfully negotiated these ‘Northern locks’  many (hundreds) of times.

The only ‘bee in the bonnet’ I could be accused of having  with C&RT is :

1. Their wasting of money on Duck Lanes etc which could be far better spent on waterways maintenance.

2. Their apparent disregard (much the same as yourself) of the law that doesn’t suit them.

7 hours ago, PD1964 said:

A desire to understand the rules/law and do things correctly and safely is, for me,  part of the interest in boating. Understanding rules and keeping safe is not particularly different to life in general . 

If you are a regular on the Trent I am very surprised you don't posses  a VHF radio or a lifejacket.

The VHF radio is useful. It often can help  build a picture of boat movements that a phone call cannot deliver .

As for not wearing a lifejacket on the tidal Trent I think you are in a minority.

Presumably you dont like obeying rules of any sort which is why you are drawn to the waterways in an attempt to escape from civilisation?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

A desire to understand the rules/law and do things correctly and safely is, for me,  part of the interest in boating. Understanding rules and keeping safe is not particularly different to life in general . 

If you are a regular on the Trent I am very surprised you don't posses  a VHF radio or a lifejacket.

The VHF radio is useful. It often can help  build a picture of boat movements that a phone call cannot deliver .

As for not wearing a lifejacket on the tidal Trent I think you are in a minority.

Presumably you dont like obeying rules of any sort which is why you are drawn to the waterways in an attempt to escape from civilisation?

I'm not saying I haven't got them I just don't use them, if it was compulsory then I would, I use the mobile phone to speak and keep in touch, also I do abide by the rules and I'm law abiding , just because I have a boat on the canal does not mean I'm an anarchist and a loner.