Selling my body

linnit

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, pete harrison said:

You will not find OTLEY advertised as it is now sold.

The next one on my hit list would be TYCHO, but it is at a substantially higher price than OTLEY was advertised for but in my view requires a similar amount of re-investment to bring it back up to my standard. Having said that it is completely usable in its current guise and I am sure will make somebody very happy (I tried to buy TYCHO last year but we were too far apart on the money) :captain:   

Thanks for info Pete:)

On 10/19/2017 at 09:47, alan_fincher said:

Most of the BW/CRT owned boats are fairly "clapped" once passed to new owners, (witness the huge spend that Chesterfield Canal Trust people have had to make to bring Python back to a good standard).

<cough>

Huge spend? I wonder where the thresholds are between "modest" and "huge" when talking about the amount spent to bring a boat back into working condition? What figures are you basing the "huge" tag on? 

Yes, it's true these things don't come cheap and getting the funding has not been the easiest of projects but, thanks to having some seriously talented volunteers and some trades people and suppliers who have been remarkably generous in their support of the restoration I feel the bottom line (which has not been reached yet) will actually represent incredibly good value for money. I appreciate a private individual is unlikely to get the support that a heritage group will get but then again would a maintenance boat going into private ownership end up putting something back into the cut the way Python has this autumn? 

On 10/18/2017 at 22:18, stagedamager said:

I disagree. Being "in" with the historical group is not about engine position. Being "in" with the historical group is about preserving historical craft, and their history, both distant and recent. Too much sterilisation of historic craft means their middle history is being lost to "authentic" cabins and the like and the need to put craft into "original trim". There is of course the issue of accommodation, but that can be overcome! If members of the "historical group" have an issue with the position of the engine, they are probably not worth being "in" with.

Kind Regards

Dan

Having done all the research to ensure Python was deemed worth throwing money at (as per National Historic Ships Guidelines) and realising there was never going to be any money in the pot to convert Python back to what she might have looked like in 1929 it really did make me look at her in a totally new light. 

I came to be involved with Python by accident and knew nothing about old boats before that fateful day. I still don't know very much but I am fortunate enough to have many reliable people I can consult about the stuff I need to know. In my early days of volunteering with Python I, like all the volunteers before me, regularly got sneered at for suggesting that the boat we were crewing had any historical relevance. It has no brass, no roses and castles, it's missing 20' out the middle and has an ugly bug of a 1980's BW cabin in place of the pleasing lines of the original. 

The thing is that these boats were converted for a reason. If a vessel is to survive it has to have a purpose. Whether an old fishing boat, a lifeboat or a container ship, the day a boat loses it's usefulness is the day that it stops being maintained and it goes into decline. Python had limited use as a full length maintenance craft of the southern canals and the best apart of 40 years ago nobody had even thought that these boats might have a heritage appeal one day so by converting her they created a vessel that could wind above or below most of the locks on the Regents Canal meaning she was far more practical for their staff to use on a daily basis. 

As I write this we are 18 day's into a 21 day schedule of vegetation cutting which started on 20th September. The statistics of what we have managed to achieve with volunteers on board Python in those 18 days are adding up to be something pretty incredible. Yesterday, with Storm Brian bearing down upon us we decided we would continue with the schedule with an eye on the conditions and an option to stop cutting if things were getting a bit too challenging for the team. Our helm yesterday was Richard Allsopp who we have been fortunate enough to have on the tiller for a large number of the days. He has been boating since 1960 and has steered a huge variety of craft in his lifetime.

As a historian and one of the team that built the wooden Dawn Rose Chesterfield Boat he would be the very last person to approve of chopping up any old boat whatever the reason but, he told me that the more time he spent working with Python the more he had gained an understanding of exactly why BW chose to convert her to the format she is now. She is big enough to hold what you need to hold but small enough to be manouverable. In fact yesterday he almost floored me when he said that in all his years of boating Python handles better that ANY other boat he has ever steered! (Thanks for the work to restore the rudder Paul Barber!) 

Yes I am biased but, ugly bug or not, Python has her own unique heritage. She doesn't have any brass to polish up and will never have any fancy rope work or pretty scenes painted on her cabin doors but her value does not come from being pleasing to the eye, her value comes from the fact that she is a very practical boat that can continue to work and that is exactly what she has been doing.

22050342_1529101823779924_64612120738577

22141017_1535442129812560_75183646448251

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

O.K., I have a question: what does narrow boat restoration cost in monetary terms, and I am thinking ball park as opposed to specific costs as I appreciate different builders will do things in slightly different ways as well as having differing overheads. I think there are four major phases:

1 - re-bottom / re-footing

2 - cabin fit out (conventional back cabin)

3 - running gear and cloths (side and top cloths)

4 - paintwork (back cabin / engine room exterior and running gear - assuming it is all done professionally)

The figures I have in my head date back to about 1990 when we were sorting out BADSEY (we did not start renovations on BARNES prior to selling the pair) and obviously these will have risen considerably, and I do realise that there are a whole list of other jobs that can push up restoration costs significantly. Some figures may help to put the OP's mind at rest regarding how much their body needs to be worth should MALVERN come up for disposal :captain: 

Edited by pete harrison
  • Happy 1

I am not going to be best placed to answer this question, I know how much our quote was to re-bottom Python but suspect there was an element of discount built in to that quote. 

I can dig out the cost of the engine rebuild later 

Python's paintwork has probably cost around £50 so far, the cost of some masking tape, brushes and rollers - the paint was donated by Paintman (along with some rollers and brushes) and was applied by our volunteers. We have yet to get the signwriting done (the weather beat us) but that will add an additional £0 to the cost as that too is being done FOC

I will read the replies with interest as I really have no idea what it should have cost apart from significantly more than it has done

Back in 1986, YARMOUTH (at 62') had new bottoms in steel (10mm, though nearer 9mm) new footings and internal framing, an 18' swim, counter and rudder, full length steel cabin spray foamed (but not lined or fitted out), a galvanised fresh water tank in the fore end, gas locker and a fitted out back cabin along with the re-installation of the BMC 2.2 with skin cooling and fuel tank. I seem to recall the bill was £9,000.

In 1999, TYCHO was purchased with an estimated cost of £15,000 to re-bottom the whole boat in a 'worst case' scenario. In 2002, she had a new counter round, new sections of swim inserted (some welding, some hot riveting), new uxter plates, new back deck in steel with ash topping and oak cants, and new hardwood bulkhead, £13,000.

She got the whole bottom overplated after I sold her, and I think the steel alone was £3,000, then add the labour costs.

• 3 weeks later...

well if it was upto me and i had the money i would dig up the Mersey Flat Winnick Queen which is buried in a infilled section of the Sankey Canal And restore and own her

There are 3 other mersey flat near to the Winnick Queen in the same section of the Sankey Canal that could be dug up and restored, one is a ice breaker, usefull in winter i bet

Edited by Mirithehamster