Selling my body

linnit

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You do that, and I will have Malvern.

Interestingly,  I saw the FMC Malvern today for the first time. Full length conversion but still looks good.

This one is also FMC Malvern.

I assume you are talking about the conversion from a butty?

19 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Black white and red FMC colours and sign writing, quite possibly yes.

One we looked at when were buying, and rejected as probably too big a project.

With hindsight, probably less of a project than Flamingo!

IMAG0150.jpg.c58270a87912116203c3e3a6a2ff140d.jpg

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 16:20, linnit said:

I would sell my body and house for this beauty.

20171014_130520.jpg

20171014_130548.jpg

That's the 1949 motor "Malvern", I doubt it ever carried FMC livery being delivered into the changing world of nationalisation, she is also deeper than conventional predecessors being more akin to a small Grand Union motor in capacity.

The other "Malvern" was a horse boat built late 1920's with a forecabin, long time converted as seen below in 1978 Keays dock:

KEAYS FMC HB MALVERN HARRIS BROS 3.jpg

KEAYS FMC HB MALVERN HARRIS BROS 2.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Laurence Hogg said:

That's the 1949 motor "Malvern", I doubt it ever carried FMC livery being delivered into the changing world of nationalisation, she is also deeper than conventional predecessors being more akin to a small Grand Union motor in capacity.

W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd. completed the hull of MALVERN on 17 November 1947 and delivery was taken by Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. for completion at its boatyard at Saltley, Birmingham. MALVERN was ready for service on 12 September 1949, some nine moths after being sold into the nationalised fleet - so would not have carried an F.M.C. Ltd. livery :captain:

edit = I wonder what a boat like MALVERN would sell for in its current condition.

Edited by pete harrison

2 hours ago, Laurence Hogg said:

Thanks for info Laurence:)

1 hour ago, linnit said:

:DBody is an Adonis...House is...well average:D..together = probably not quite enough:D

Lord Adonis or the Greek divine figure, it could be a deal breaker ............

If you wish to be in with  the Historical group you would  probably have  to move the power unit IIRC this is a BW motor in the cabin /cabin in the engine "ole jobbie & " the restaurant forward of the motor Not that particular boat but I 've had a 2 week spell steering a boat with  that motor set up which had a steel unlined cabin, a pair of ear defenders would be an absolute must, a 2 pot HA/B Llister working reasonably hard down below & a couple /three feet in front of the foot;board couldn't be termed as peaceful boating

44 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

If you wish to be in with  the Historical group you would  probably have  to move the power unit IIRC this is a BW motor in the cabin /cabin in the engine "ole jobbie & " the restaurant forward of the motor Not that particular boat but I 've had a 2 week spell steering a boat with  that motor set up which had a steel unlined cabin, a pair of ear defenders would be an absolute must, a 2 pot HA/B Llister working reasonably hard down below & a couple /three feet in front of the foot;board couldn't be termed as peaceful boating

I disagree. Being "in" with the historical group is not about engine position. Being "in" with the historical group is about preserving historical craft, and their history, both distant and recent. Too much sterilisation of historic craft means their middle history is being lost to "authentic" cabins and the like and the need to put craft into "original trim". There is of course the issue of accommodation, but that can be overcome! If members of the "historical group" have an issue with the position of the engine, they are probably not worth being "in" with.

Kind Regards

Dan

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2

35 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

I disagree. Being "in" with the historical group is not about engine position. Being "in" with the historical group is about preserving historical craft, and their history, both distant and recent. Too much sterilisation of historic craft means their middle history is being lost to "authentic" cabins and the like and the need to put craft into "original trim". There is of course the issue of accommodation, but that can be overcome! If members of the "historical group" have an issue with the position of the engine, they are probably not worth being "in" with.

Kind Regards

Dan

I fully agree regarding the sterilisation of 'historic' narrow boats, and the current attempts to return so many back to how they were when new - or at least the aspects that suit the owner at the time. Every 'historic' boat has a story to tell and I am seeing dents removed along with the character and history. Of course every boat has to be maintained and almost every 'historic' narrow boat will have been re-bottomed, re-footed, re-cabined and re-engined, not to mention every piece of running gear and cloths replaced over the years. I have recently spent a little time on a boat with a welded steel engine room dating to the late 1960's, and if it was good enough when it carried one of the last loads to Croxley Mill it should be good enough for the 'in' crowd (whoever they are).

I am as much practical as I am purist and it is great to see a few boats completely restored to as built (but I would not want one as they are far too basic), but I would much rather have the engine in front of the back cabin partly because of the noise but also so I can continue with domestic chores without stopping - and I certainly do not think I am part of the 'in' crowd :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

9 hours ago, stagedamager said:

Kind Regards

Dan

I am not saying what should /should not be done i am just passing comment on what posts tend towards  & the boat in question started off with a conventional layout it was "Bastardised" by BW in their wisdom. & if the owner whoever that might be wants to do serious boating in terms of hours per day then I fear for his hearing  with the present layout

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

If you wish to be in with  the Historical group

I dont want to be in any group..I just admire the lines of Malvern and if it were to come up for auction or sealed bids I would relish the opportunity:)

38 minutes ago, linnit said:

I dont want to be in any group..I just admire the lines of Malvern and if it were to come up for auction or sealed bids I would relish the opportunity:)

I think it now highly unlikely that any of the few remaining ex working boats still with CRT will ever be offered to "Joe Public" on the open market, by any means of sale.

The exact mechanism seems to change each time, but unless you can put yourself forward as a heritage group or some kind of trust, I don't think you will secure one by this route.

If you want a real piece of history, better looking at those privately advertised, whether on e-Bay, Apollo Duck or via the HNBC.

If not already sold, "Otley" would be my current pick for anybody wanting a project.  I have no real idea if it would represent more work than malvern, but my gut instinct is that it wouldn't.  Most of the BW/CRT owned boats are fairly "clapped" once passed to new owners, (witness the huge spend that Chesterfield Canal Trust people have had to make to bring Python back to a good standard).

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, linnit said:

That's fine I have no problem with what you do with it if it ever becomes your boat I perhaps worded it incorrectly & was pointing out that having boated a considerable distance on a boat with that cabin/engine arrangement & found it a much less pleasant experience than the conventional engine set up on my FMC motor on which I boated 14 years both commercially & hotel set ups

Edited by X Alan W
  • Greenie 3

12 hours ago, X Alan W said:

If you wish to be in with  the Historical group you would  probably have  to move the power unit IIRC this is a BW motor in the cabin /cabin in the engine "ole jobbie & " the restaurant forward of the motor

I agree with those who have said this is not so.

Quite a few of the "historic" set feel it is a shame that a whole era is being lost where these boats took on another existence, and worked that way for years.

"Ling" IMO was an excellent example of a boat that could have been left in it's reworked state, though I agree having an HA or HR throbbing away at your feet is less desiable than having it in a forward engine room.

A consistently popular boat at gatherings is the much bastardised Carnaby, which not only retains its BW reverse layout, but also the "dropped" forward gunwales.  I sincerely hope nobody attempts to convert it back to a 70 foot carrying boat.

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If not already sold, "Otley" would be my current pick for anybody wanting a project.  I have no real idea if it would represent more work than malvern, but my gut instinct is that it wouldn't.

Cant find it advertised anywhere to look..

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If not already sold, "Otley" would be my current pick for anybody wanting a project.  I have no real idea if it would represent more work than malvern, but my gut instinct is that it wouldn't. 

13 minutes ago, linnit said:

Cant find it advertised anywhere to look..

You will not find OTLEY advertised as it is now sold.

The next one on my hit list would be TYCHO, but it is at a substantially higher price than OTLEY was advertised for but in my view requires a similar amount of re-investment to bring it back up to my standard. Having said that it is a solid boat and completely usable in its current guise and I am sure will make somebody very happy (I tried to buy TYCHO last year but we were too far apart on the money) :captain:   

Edited by pete harrison