Boat licence fees for 2018-19

Ray T

Featured Posts

12 October 2017

BOAT LICENCE FEES FOR 2018-19

The Canal & River Trust is today announcing that private and business boat licence fees will rise by 3% from 1 April 2018, roughly in line with inflation forecasts for next year. 

Income from boat licence fees helps to ensure that the Trust can continue to sustain charitable expenditure of over £150m per year.  

The charity is currently carrying out a consultation on the overall structure and future of boat licensing.  No changes resulting from the consultation will be implemented before April 2019.

Ian Rogers, customer services and operations director at Canal & River Trust, said: “We are committed to keeping boat licences at a fair price and investing the income back into caring for our canals and rivers for the benefit of all our boating customers.   Looking after the waterways is a huge task, from big jobs like repairing flood-damaged bridges to the everyday work of dredging and replacing lock gates.  The money we get from boat licences, which currently accounts for around 10-15% of our total income, is massively important in keeping the canals and rivers open so boaters can continue to use them, now and in the future.”

ENDS 

For further media requests please contact: 
Fran Read, national press officer, Canal & River Trust 
m 07796 610 427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk 

Edited by Ray T
Edit to correct date

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well then - that's nice to know.

Irrespective of the outcome of the 'consultation' I now know exactly what my May 2018 licence will cost, and can budget accordingly.

Thanks C&RT - and don't try any weasel ways of saying the base licence formula has changed.

Image result for shot in foot

Well, they will have to allow time to analyse 30,000+ responses, before publishing their foregone conclusions. :P

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Well, they will have to allow time to analyse 30,000+ responses, before publishing their foregone conclusions. :P

Which is why (I guess) all the responses must be in in December - gives them 3 months to massage the figures to achieve the result they want, and they can announce the new licencing system to start on 1st April

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which is why (I guess) all the responses must be in in December - gives them 3 months to massage the figures to achieve the result they want, and they can announce the new licencing system to start on 1st April

Given that they questioned how long the "glide path" should be to any new licencing conditions,  I doubt we will see the new licencing implemented until April 2019, with a 2-5 year "glide path" to its maximum charges.

8 hours ago, Ray T said:

The money we get from boat licences, which currently accounts for around 10-15% of our total income

I'm shocked at not only how small the proportion is, but by the fact they don;'t seem to know if it is 10% or 15%....

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The consultation and this press release clearly say no changes to the system before April 2019.

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

The consultation and this press release clearly say no changes to the system before April 2019.

Yes I know.

In my experience it will be introduced when expedient.

Remember C&RTs written answer regarding using 3rd party enforcement companies ("we have no intention.....", and within a matter of months they are using them).

Me, cynical, no - just experienced.