Alde Slimline Boiler

Featured Posts

Hello.

Used search method but couldn't find a topic.

Our boiler refused to ignite. Pilot does  light but doesn't stay in when button released. I suspect that the thermo couple has decided to test my knowledge. I bought a new one about five years ago. Is it possible that it's duff?

I doubt this but, is there a way to test it? It it likely to be this dreaded thermo couple again. I have had the burner out and cleaned it,re-installed and nope,no joy to be had.

Freaky Friday. But funds won't stretch to a new boiler.

Could a mod please correct the title that. Should read "Alde". Not Led. No idea where that came from.

I am in Great Bedwyn on the K&A. 

Edited by NB Lola
User request

43 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Hello.

Used search method but couldn't find a topic.

Our boiler refused to ignite. Pilot does  light but doesn't stay in when button released. I suspect that the thermo couple has decided to test my knowledge. I bought a new one about five years ago. Is it possible that it's duff?

I doubt this but, is there a way to test it? It it likely to be this dreaded thermo couple again. I have had the burner out and cleaned it,re-installed and nope,no joy to be had.

Freaky Friday. But funds won't stretch to a new boiler.

Could a mod please correct the title that. Should read "Alde". Not Led. No idea where that came from.

I am in Great Bedwyn on the K&A. 

Yo Martin, yes the thermocouple can be tested by measuring the voltage on the termination when you heat the tip at the other end. Should be around 20-25mv.

Or if you're still in GB over the weekend, so am I. I can drop in and have a look. Probably sunday. 

If this is the tall slim Alde - probably is as the newer ones use spark ignition - the have a good look through the little window near the bottom.

The pilot light flame should be asymmetric with more of the flame going towards the4 thermocouple (on the right I seem to remember). I have had  a couple of occasions where rust/spiders etc have prevented this although the main burner would ignite as I let go of the control it went out almost straight away.

I solved mine by getting an air duster with a plastic straw in the nozzle. Taking out the three screws securing the little window and giving the pilot burner a good blast through every hole I could get to. However put the window back before you try to light it because it seems the pilot light blows out with it off.

As this does not touch the gas part of the boiler or installation it should be safe to do even if you are not happy doing gas work.

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If this is the tall slim Alde - probably is as the newer ones use spark ignition - the have a good look through the little window near the bottom.

The pilot light flame should be asymmetric with more of the flame going towards the4 thermocouple (on the right I seem to remember). I have had  a couple of occasions where rust/spiders etc have prevented this although the main burner would ignite as I let go of the control it went out almost straight away.

I solved mine by getting an air duster with a plastic straw in the nozzle. Taking out the three screws securing the little window and giving the pilot burner a good blast through every hole I could get to. However put the window back before you try to light it because it seems the pilot light blows out with it off.

As this does not touch the gas part of the boiler or installation it should be safe to do even if you are not happy doing gas work.

Thanks Tony. Had the burner out today. Banged it, thumped it, blew it and poked it. Put it back together, no joy. 

Having said that the pilot flame isn't regular shape and all over the place as in shape. May have another go tomorrow when I've calmed down having struggled almost standing on my head getting 16 tiny little screws back in and tight.

Martyn

I had problems with mine a few years ago it wouldn't stay a light. 

Had it serviced still no joy. 

Had it sent here to be refurbished 

http://www.grahamcutmoreengineering.co.uk/home/4513331777

there was a crack in it somewhere. That and I think the main gas valve on the bottles needed replaceing. 

All works a dream now. I can't remember how much it cost to referb but was shocked how much it didn't cost  for a change. 

47 minutes ago, David Mack said:

They might do if you buy 'warm white' LEDs.

then in summer use the "cool white" ones

seriously though on my alde the pilot light appears V shaped, very occasionally the right hand side of the V doesn't light and in turn doesn't hit the thermocouple, usually it lights ok on the next attempt.

Every Spring mine refuses to light and I go through the gamut of possible problems.  This year it was 'no spark' - sorted last time by replacing the little green box ('spark generator' to me) but that was second hand so I shouldn't complain that it didn't last. This time I fitted a brand new box and the pilot ignites on the first flash of the orange light rather than after five or six. Probably no help to you but one thing that did interest me.  The earth lead from the 'green box' used to lead to a convenient bolt at the side of the Alde case.  The wiring diagram for the new box requires that lead now to attach to one of the '16 tiny little screws ' holding the burner assembly in place.  I'm guessing that this gives a much better earth path for the spark and maybe!! for the thermocouple (spoken like a total amateur!!).  I also have to perform contortions/remove cupboard door in order to lie on my side to do anything so you have my sympathy - hope this works. They are so damned frustrating when they just sit there and refuse to work or give you any clue as to why they won't!!!!!!!

Fitted a new thermocouple, just finished. The pilot lights instantly. Hold knob!! Down for count of 12/15. Release,it goes out,blasted thing.

The pilot does not look like I think it should. It is not blue and gentle, it's yellow and larger than I thought it would be. Who mentioned a hole somewhere? If it's getting too much of a breeze would that effect the flame. What's hacking me off is that I have to take it apart every time and reassemble before testing. But that's life I guess.

I will persevere, I have to, and go searching for a hole that may or may not be there.

FIXED!!! Took apart again tonight, with the help of someone on this forum, and his blowing skills, that are far more superior to mine, a tiny bit of s**t was cleared from the pilot housing. Put back together and wowee we have a boiler.

Didn't need a new thermocouple. Hey ho!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, as usual all welcome.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

10 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Didn't need a new thermocouple. Hey ho!

So now you have a spare for when you do :)

I had a boiler at home that needed a new thermocouple each year for 3 years and then never needed another for 5 years.