Another Inverter Problem-Possibly

pearley

Featured Posts

We are a gas free boat with 6 kva generator and Victron 3 kw inverter/charger. 

Almost exactly after 5 years use the Victron stopped passing mains voltage through it due to failure of the mains transfer relay. The relay then was rated at 30 amp so was always on the edge. Victron were unable to repair it but offered a new unit at a discounted price. The new unit had a transfer relay rated at 50 amps.

About 3 weeks ago on two occasions after switching on the generator and waiting U till the Victron had established a main service output, the mains immediately dropped out as soon as something was switched on, but after waiting a couple of minutes came back on. At the time I thought I was just being to quick to switch something on. Then we left the boat for a week in  a marina on a shoreline and on our return it was obvious that the mains had gone off and then switched back on. 

Yesterday, about 30 minutes into cooking dinner the mains disappeared then came back after a few seconds. Today at lunchtime, we started the generator but after a minute or so there was still no mains. Looking at the inverter and mains cabinet, the neon that says 'generator' was illuminated, the others 'power available' and 'correct polarity' were not but then suddenly the lights came on and everything was OK. 

Tonight, cooking dinner was no problem. 

So, are we looking at another failing transfer relay? 

Edited to add this inverter is 5 years old tomorrow. 

Edited by pearley

Is the generator N-E bonded? It sounds to me that it’s possible that the Victron might be getting confused about incoming ‘polarity’. 

Having said the above, it’s quite possible that the unit is faulty. Not the relay itself (they tend to either work or not work as opposed to going intermittent) but more likely the detection circuitry within the unit. 

Give Onboard Energy a call and see what they think. 

13 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Is the generator N-E bonded? It sounds to me that it’s possible that the Victron might be getting confused about incoming ‘polarity’. 

Having said the above, it’s quite possible that the unit is faulty. Not the relay itself (they tend to either work or not work as opposed to going intermittent) but more likely the detection circuitry within the unit. 

Give Onboard Energy a call and see what they think. 

Yes, it is N - E bonded and has worked fine for 5 years. Am passing On board Energy tomorrow and have phoned to say calling in. I see it is supposed to have a 5 year warranty which expires tomorrow! 

The problem is it doesn't do it often enough or long enough to do a proper diagnosis. (Reminds me of working in the motor trade when some diagnosis was really educated guesswork) 

Can’t you wire in the generator to bypass your Victron inverter/charger with a changeover switch, that way you could have separates, inverter and a charger, then you could turn off the inverter and run from the generator and still charge your batteries.

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

How did it go?

VE Net diagnosis didn't show anything amiss and, of course, it didn't play up whilst there. Kevin turned off the UPS option on the reckoning that it will take the inverter slightly longer to react to any glitches in supply, one of his thoughts being that the generator output might be fluctuating. Except when we left the boat on a shoreline for a week at the end of last month, when we returned it was obvious that the power had gone off and then back on. 

We'll see how it goes. Whatever the fault is in my experience it will get worse. 

I'll have to get my Windows laptop sorted out so I can plug my own VE Net interface in. 

Edited by pearley