Lift out fee

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, BWM said:

Should have got you're running shoes on then, when the price changed. I had a similar experience with an 'engineer' who came out to get the engine running on a boat that we had bought. After managing to eventually start the engine myself he asked for a considerable amount of money, which I couldn't cover in cash being way beyond expectations. We had also arranged for the engine to be taken out and rebuilt- a huge mistake. End result was a shoddy con job and a lesson learned! 

Bit difficult to run if the boat is on their hard standing

3 minutes ago, BWM said:

I meant when the price changed prior to lifting out, with hindsight a bad omen.

The original lift-out fee of £150 seems unfeasibly low so at that point my alarm bells would have been ringing...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Bloody speel schck!

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The original lift-out fee of £150 seems unfeasibly low so at that point my alarm bells would have been ringing...

A long time ago the windscreen on my MkII Cortina shattered on the M62 on a rainy night coming back from Hull to Stockport.

When I got home I called round a few windscreen companies and, naively, chose the cheapest "while you wait" place.

Once they had taken the old windscreen out, someone asked me if I also wanted the waterproofing rubber seal as well - I cant remember how much it was, but I remember being f%%%%....g furious, but they had me by the short and curlies - repeat business wasnt their goal!!

On 10/13/2017 at 21:16, BWM said:

I meant when the price changed prior to lifting out, with hindsight a bad omen.

The price actually changed after liftout, so too late then. Even though we confirmed £150 on the day of lift out. 

An update: We are well and truly gone at now at our Marina! Phew. It was not without more issues, as on Friday afternoon it looked unlikely we would be going anywhere as another boat with a leak had to be lifted out and into the area they needed to move us in order to put us back into water. I think they realised they would not be getting any further cash from us... 

I will write a full post on everything that happened during out time there, but i can confirm you should avoid Clifton Cruisers like the plague. Nothing but trouble, swearing, cowboy money grabbing idiots. I've had my first proper full nights sleep in months  and the relief to be out of there is worth every penny. 

Glad to hear you made it away from the dodgy outfit. It does get you down suffering at the hands of sharp operators, ask around next time you need work done, personal recommendation is hard to beat. 

1 hour ago, new_boaterSep2017 said:

The price actually changed after liftout, so too late then. Even though we confirmed £150 on the day of lift out. 

An update: We are well and truly gone at now at our Marina! Phew. It was not without more issues, as on Friday afternoon it looked unlikely we would be going anywhere as another boat with a leak had to be lifted out and into the area they needed to move us in order to put us back into water. I think they realised they would not be getting any further cash from us... 

I will write a full post on everything that happened during out time there, but i can confirm you should avoid Clifton Cruisers like the plague. Nothing but trouble, swearing, cowboy money grabbing idiots. I've had my first proper full nights sleep in months  and the relief to be out of there is worth every penny. 

Is this Clifton cruisers at Rugby?

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Did you end up paying the £540 quoted earlier in the thread?

We did, hard price to pay. We did ask for recommendations and received quite a few, but this was the only place that would allow us to shotblast local to us.  We shotblasted the inside of our boat ourselves and paid for a contractor for the outside before we began painting.  Before anybody asks we sought permission before we arrived, after we arrived and before starting to shotblast the inside ourselves and before starting the outside. We were given permission in writing but as soon as we started the outside with contractors they started to complain (luckily it took 1 day and was over quickly).... just one more item we had trouble with them over. 

Edited by new_boaterSep2017

1 hour ago, new_boaterSep2017 said:

Was that you on the green boat just past there on Saturday??